back to article Amazon unzips its digital-only Brazilian, waves Kindles at Canada

Amazon has entered the Brazilian market by launching Amazon.com.br - but it will just sell Kindles and ebooks to see if a digital-only operation can sink or swim. Shortly after its midnight launch, the website was spotted by sharp-eyed tweeters before any announcement was made. Even before the official press notification …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Unhappy

It will partner with local book sellers to learn what sells, then start offering books and magazines undercutting the locals.

2. Ramiro

I've just checked it out

There is only one model of kindle advertised, one of the simplest ones, I think. It doesn't have touch or a keyboard or a backlight. It's the 6 in e-ink e-book reader.

No mention of 3g, so I guess it's wifi only.

It's selling for about US$140. So it's about twice as expensive as it is in the US, which is pretty much the normal mark up we have to pay due to import taxes, duties, etc. etc.

I don't know about the book selection, sadly I've been out of the market of reading for pleasure for a few years, but there are no engineering books, which probably isn't their fault, most probably the publishers don't see a market.

You can buy e-books in other languages, probably amazon is making available everything they can from around the world that is not subject to regional controls. This is very good, the prices are very good compared to printed books, most of which you wouldn't be able to find anyway. I typed Nel Gaiman, just to see what would come up, and there were thirty *pages* of stuff.

It's claiming that the top selling book at the moment is Fifty Shades os Gray, so it seems that ipad wielding moms are the main market right now.

The second one is another Fifty shades of bullshit.

The third one is a hagiography of the founder of one of the largest evangelical churches in Brazil

The fourth is a self help diet book.

The fifth is a George Martin book.

Interesting variation!

It'll be interesting to see how this holds up against the e-shops of the other large brazilian bookseller chains, Cultura, Saraiva and Siciliano, which also sell e-books (and real books, and other physical stuff like the american amazon store.)

3. AJames

Kindles already widely available in Canada

I'm not sure why this is fresh news. Kindles have been sold in the ubiquitous Staples office supply store chain in Canada for a couple of years, and Amazon.com ships Kindles to Canada as well. Amazon.ca has been operating a Canadian e-book store for even longer. Perhaps they're just announcing that from now on Kindles will be ordered through and shipped from the .ca site instead of the .com site? (Amazon supports the Kindle whispernet cellular network option in Canada in case you were wondering.)

However, Kobo remains much more popular in Canada than Kindle because their e-readers are offered in many more stores at more competitive prices, and national bookseller Chapters.ca partners with Kobo to offer an e-book store with better selection and often better prices than Amazon.

1. Tom 35

Re: Kindles already widely available in Canada

Maybe they will sell the Fire that is not available in Canada along with the App store (and MP3s) that is not available to Canadians.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Kindles already widely available in Canada

You couldn't (and still can't, but apparently will be able to soon) buy a Kindle from Amazon.ca. You could indeed buy one in store.

With luck, having a third item available through Amazon.ca will mean a shift towards an increasing number of items available to us Canucks online. That way we don't have to worry about shipping nightmares, or stupid vendors who use UPS and their theiving brokerage.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like