back to article Samsung anoints chairman's son and heir as vice-chairman

Samsung Electronics has promoted the son and heir apparent of its chairman to the job of vice chairman. Jay Y Lee, son of chairman Lee Kun-hee, is already chief operating officer and president and is widely expected to be his father's successor. "The promotion of Jay Y. Lee recognises his outstanding achievements as a leader …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bias and xenophobia? In the blogs of El-Reg? Heaven forfend!

Am I the only one who read that and thought that had it been about some American corporation it could have been altogether less snide and jealous?

I can't help feeling that all this "democratise the giant chaebol" rhetoric might have turned out more as "historic family-run business" or "beloved tech innovator"

Stop wagging Parnell, it's terribly unbecoming.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bias and xenophobia? In the blogs of El-Reg? Heaven forfend!

Yes, you're the only one.

2. LarsG
      Meh

Ah

Nepotism, just like the Royal Family.

We should not mock.

3. goldcd

*nods*

Although that does give you the opportunity to point out that in Korea they like to keep companies under family control, rather than the governing of the entire country.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have you ever read anything on the Reg before? You think they'd be nice about some company, just because they're American? Clearly you've not been round here long.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's S. Korea...

everything is in the pocket of the big families, Shamsung et al have too much power.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Gimp

Oh the irony

Here, have ¢rA₱₱£€

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"ordinary Koreans express anger at how top-earning jobs are kept in the family"

Really?

S. Korean firms are among the most successful in the world (despite US driven global economic implosions and protectionism)

As a result, the S. Korean economy is among the healthiest in the world (despite US driven global economic implosions and protectionism)

Therefore, the standard of living in S. Korea remains among the highest in the world (despite US driven global economic implosions and protectionism)

And "ordinary Koreans" are "angry" about this, you say? I do believe there have been some pretty ugly demonstrations of public anger in Greece, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, UK, US, etc lately, arising from what their politicians have done to their economies. Not so much from S. Korea though.

Are there any S. Korean commentards around? Are you angry?

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Awwwww...

GG

5. G R Goslin

Bye bye Samsung, then

It's a fairly true saying that the first generation makes the family fortune. The next generation adds to it. And the third generation blows it away

6. G R Goslin

Re Bye bye Samsung

In my case, I'm looking expectantly at JCB

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like