back to article Netflix wins first-show TV rights to Disney flicks

Netflix is to become Disney’s exclusive pay-television partner from 2016 in a deal that gives it first pick of all of the studio’s new films, from future Pixar and Marvel hits to the second and third instalments of the new Star Wars trilogy. Terms of the deal, which only covers the US, were not disclosed, but the Financial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Moore

Howard The Duck...

Finally available on Netflix!!!

2. GettinSadda

Really?

"Netflix is to become Disney’s exclusive pay-television partner from 2016 "

Wow! So no more Disney Channels on Sky, DirceTV or Dish?

3. Geoff Johnson

which only covers the US

Says it all really. Over here we're stuck with Sky for legal access to recent films.

1. Babbit55
      Thumb Up

Re: which only covers the US

or you could just change your DNS to a US DNS server, works great for me on the Xbox with the US netflix running in good ole Blighty

2. Vimes

Re: which only covers the US

Try establishing a VPN connection to the US. The both the series of the new BBC version of Sherlock is available on Netflix. Try going through a UK connection without any VPN connection and suddenly thes programs disappear.

I know that the BBC doesn't pay for all right to programs otherwise it would cost far too much, but there is something wrong when British programs made in Britain with British licence fee funds aren't available in Britain but are viewable elsewhere.

4. I think so I am?
    Facepalm

Thats a lot of £

£5.99 * 30 million = about £179million a month in revenue

So for this deal they are spending about 8.3% of their Yearly revenue.

"Corps for media distribution really need to stop this exclusive deal crap"

At the min its Netflix or Lovefilm, Ill paying for one, but if its on the other service they should know I'm downloaded it.

If they just made their media available on all services there is greater chance people would pay for it. This business model of exclusive deals is already broken.

It always boils down to short term gain or future longevity?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Said it before

There needs to be legislation to make force movie houses to release their content on FRAND terms. after all, they want every protection known to man for their content so its only fair they release it fairly. This exclusive crap makes my blood boil.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Said it before

Last I know, Disney was not required viewing. Your TV won't break without it. Disney are there to make money.

And how dare they not give content away for next to nothing.

So no it's up to them if they price themselves out of the market.

1. Vimes

Fair != next to nothing.

Nobody is saying that they shouldn't be able to set the price, just that they shouldn't pick and choose who they sell to.

2. Ragarath

It may not be required viewing but if your only option for TV does not have the rights to show it, yet there is something you really want to see guess what your options are?

Yes your right the options are not legal but it is the only one they are giving some people. Why should I have to maintain a subscription to 5 different services with exclusive content?

And as said above, it's not that they are asking for it to be cheap, just easier and fairer. Service providers should be competing on service not content.

2. Rampant Spaniel

Why? They aren't required? Both VM and Sky provide access to each others (albeit mostly one way) content. If you don't like it either pay for it or don't. FRAND is strictly limited to areas where IP is used in standards to prevent abuse, otherwise move to a country that doesn't have a free(ish) market. If you want to watch it that badly pay for it or quit whining. Nobody is going to die because they didn't get to watch a movie.

1. Ragarath

Nobody is going to die because there is no FRAN in IP either. but it is there isn't it? That makes your argument totally inert.

I want to watch it but I also have to pay for it according to you. Guess what? No VM at my place, or decent internet pipes. Or decent reception over the air.

I will say it again. Content makers provide content and should not be locked into deals via service providers that should be competing on service.

1. Rampant Spaniel

The reasoning for FRAND which you completely overlooked (again) is for companies contributing IP to standards i.e. GSM which other companies are then required to use. Given they have to use the IP they get it at fair rates. Companies trade guaranteed sales (as their IP is used in a standard) for control over pricing. They don't have to, nobody forces them to, it is a choice the company makes. They can simply choose not to include the IP in the standard. You are mandating forcing companies to sell their luxury product to anyone who wants it. It's their product and it is a luxury, they get to choose who they sell it to.

Theres nothing stopping you buying a dvd or watching it at the cinema. Also the deal is for 'first show tv' rights in one country only. So assuming you didn't watch it at the cinema (because you really HAD to see the disney movie but just not that much) and didn't buy the DVD or Bluray either (not looking like you wanted to see it that badly is it) all you are missing is the first showing period. It will be on other channels, just at a later date. Also given this covers the US it doesn't affect you.

2. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

Oh you are really total stupid or ignorant?

"Nobody is going to die because there is no FRAND in IP either. but it is there isn't "

So next time you call the emergency service for a heart attack victim using your mobile phone, connecting to the Mobile carriers network, which in turn may pass through 2 or 3 other carriers network, received by the operator, typed on a computer,sent over the network to the Ambulance station, who radio the crew, who jump in the ambulance and navigate to the scene to find you giving hearth resuscitation to "Staying Alive" on your cd player, which you learnt of your Digital TV.

Thank goodness there are no devices using FRAND in that little set up.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It can only be good news ...

.. if it eventually gets it out of the hands of Murdoch :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too cheap

My issue with Netflix and Lovefilm is the cost - they're both aiming too low. I pay Netflix £6 a month for a limited selection of films and TV - they do have Breaking Bad, but I've bought the boxsets 'cos it's that good... Lovefilm's selection seems to be even worse (I did subscribe to both at one point). If someone pitched a package at around £20-30 a month and offered a much larger range of content - especially new releases, hell - I'd cancel my Usenet subscription.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Too cheap

I agree. I would love to see Netflix and hulu combined and all the networks putting their content in, that would be worth 20 a month easily. They are heading towards fragmentation here, which is fine, they just won't get my money. I cancelled hulu, netflix is still worth the money but only just.

2. mickey mouse the fith

Re: Too cheap

The uk netflix is barely worth £6 tbh, you can watch pretty much all the good stuff on there in a few days. Change your dns servers to usa based ones and see how much us brits are being ripped off content wise. There must be 10 times the amount of content for the same price, including, as another commentator noted, many more BBC series. Just looking at the documentary section is enough to get the blood boiling, I think theres about 15 on the u.k one, and well over 200 on the u.s one.

Luckily, its easy to access the u.s netflix from uk at the moment, but I bet they close the dns loophole soon though (the Android client seems to already detect it and redirect to the shit u.k content).

Then itl be more expense for a proper vpn, I dont think il bother, il just pirate anything I want to watch and these silly media companies get nothing rather than my money and custom.

Oh, and Lovefilm is worse value, complete rip off considering the limited content.

8. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

Depressing

Hooray!

Netflix is to become Disney’s exclusive pay-television partner from 2016 in a deal that gives it first pick of all of the studio’s new films, from future Pixar and Marvel hits to the second and third instalments of the new Star Wars trilogy.

BOOO!

Terms of the deal, which only covers the US...........

9. Timo

Maybe Disney is waking up?

We subscribe to Netflix, and if Disney won't play, that's fine with me. I'll just watch something else. So Disney wins in the immediate term, but loses in the long run. Maybe they are starting to realize that a buyer's market is emerging here for content?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like