back to article Quantum axes one in ten workers, insists it was not investor's idea

Troubled tape'n'disk biz Quantum has laid off roughly 10 per cent of its workforce. Quantum has struggling to rebuild its business since the tape backup market declined in the wake of disk-to-disk backup. It has made investments and acquisitions in the software data management area, the latest bringing Amplidata object storage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Headmaster

Missed opportunity

"Quantum decimates workforce", surely...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Missed opportunity

That word is so incorrectly used, it's immediately on my 'kill, kill, kill' list.

C.

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
        Headmaster

But, why not then use it correctly and teach those young whippersnappers what's what? Drives me crazy to see it used incorrectly, along with "literally", "their" "there" & "they're", "accept" & "except", "affect" & "effect" (actually had an argument with an English teacher of all people over that one once), and a handfull of others.

Re: Re: Missed opportunity

Trust me, I will not make the same mistake again. I will be keenly looking out for an opportunity to use decimate in the near future.

C.

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
            Trollface

My work here is done.

2. Jamie Kitson

http://www.chambers.co.uk/search.php?query=literally&title=21st

See #2.

2. Jamie Kitson

Or "Quantum offers no solace for workforce"

Re: Re: Missed opportunity

Quantum of Solace had crossed my mind, but recently we've tended to stick to straight headlines about people losing their jobs en mass.

C.

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Devil

We wish you a merry...

fcuk-off time, and a shity new year!!

Asshats.

What a time to do that, hope they are paying their tax as well.... Time for an investigate it think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We wish you a merry...

"Time for an investigate it think."

Yes, kill the rest of the company, why don't you.

1. andy mcandy
        Thumb Down

Re: We wish you a merry...

Well, an asset stripping company has bought shares and wants a place on the board so now is the time to start drawing lots on which arm of the company will be sold off next - and how many months until we see the end of Quantim as we know it...

3. Andy 70
    Unhappy

"maximizing the potential for shareholders"

translation:-

strip mine the company, and decimate the workforce. The rest can go to hell.

R.I.P. quantum. your SCSI fireball drives were the byword for speed and your tapes, reliability.

wheel another one to the tech graveyard of my childhood/adolesence

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like