back to article Sony intros next-gen Blu-ray players

Sony last night introduced its latest standalone Blu-ray Disc players, both incorporating the latest Blu-ray interactivity features. Sony BDP-S350 Sony's BDP-S350: BD Live coming via firmware update The BDP-S350 and BDP-S550 both support what Blu-ray calls Bonus View, but is perhaps better known as picture-in-picture. It' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why Toshiba should've won the format war

...because then we wouldn't have had to put up with players this god damn ugly ;)

At least the HD-DVD players looked nice!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Pick a specification...

...and freakin' stick to it. Just cause you "won" the HD war, Sony, doesn't mean you won't royally piss off your user base with these constant revisions and goal-post moves.

All this smells of planned obsolescence to me. Maybe we lucked out when you fucked up BetaMax et al, otherwise you'd probably have kept pulling the same shit there too.

You can pretty much get bent as far as I'm concerned!

4. Richard Spooner
    Stop

short memories

Whilst I don't really disagree with the raised eye brows about the planned updates, people are forgetting that in the first two and a half years of DVD there were films that came out that wouldn't play in older players and required consumers to buy new machines. All early adopters got stung unless they paid £1000 for the very high end first generation players. Even then some got stung. I did. These players ended up obsolete and good for playing nothing but CDs or very old DVDs. There were no over the air firmware updates. At least this is going to be possible with new BR players so continuous solutions are available. And before anyone says, think about it, there will be very very few people buying one of these that doesn't have an Internet connection available.

Like I said whilst I agree with the need the fix the disk profile for the near future, people are really over reacting here. Oh and by the way, I own both a dedicated BR player and a dedicated HDDVD player before someone calls me a Sony lover etc etc.

5. PIB
    Flame

The neverending story.

"Not buying" and "This is why Toshiba should've won the format war ".

When are you lot going to get over the loss?

Like most people care what you think now anyway. We'll wave at you as we zip past you. on he Technology Highway.

<yawn>

6. PIB
    Paris Hilton

@Anonymous Coward #2

"...and freakin' stick to it. Just cause you "won" the HD war, Sony, doesn't mean you won't royally piss off your user base with these constant revisions and goal-post moves."

Yeah like this is totally unheard of isn't it?

Imagine if a company like HD DVD supporter M$ kept bringing out new versions of Windows... We'd all be lost then, wouldn't we? That reminds me, I must buy a copy of M$ Office 2007 for my zippy Windows 95 computer....

(Paris because she's cleverer than you lot.)

7. Scott Mckenzie
    Stop

@PIB

Hmmm.... evidently Paris is somewhat brighter than you also.

Windows 95 is err, quite old.... go buy yourself a copy of Sunshine on Blu Ray (apologies that the film is dross) and then go and play it on your Sony Blu Ray player and try and access the extra features, be prepared to be in for the long haul though, as this player that is just over a year old cannot play a disc that is just over 6 months old to it's full capacity.

A 10 year old OS not being able to handle the very latest, bloated version of Office is somewhat different and not altogether that surprising really.

Now go and buy any HD DVD player and any HD disc and revel in the fact that it plays, sure you might want to make sure it has the latest firmware, but that's easily done - adding a fricking ethernet port to a Sony BR player is a little bit more tricky for your average consumer!

Profiles on BR is one of the reasons i'm gutted it won, i'm happy with my HD player and will retain and buy bargain discs as people panic sell, until such a time when a complete player comes out, this looks to be soon with the Panasonic BD50, however it's a shame it won't be anywhere near the money i paid for my EP35 :(

8. Monkey

But what if

... HD-DVD had won? My Tosh HD-DVD player has an ethernet port. Would you all have been happy to have HAD to have hooked that up? Scott I still can't help but think it's all sour grapes. "What can I find negative to pick on?" syndrome. I understand it I guess, but that is what early adopting is about. Wasting money sometimes! But at least these players have the means to avoid firmware obsolesence. 1st generation DVD players didn't and boy did people get stung with new DVD disk encoding. Or are you not old enough to know about what happened there?

No, BR profiles aren't ideal, but I suspect that Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer and all the other player manufacturers won't want to be putting massive amounts of players out all the time with incomplete firmware to have to patch them virtually immediately. I suspect the profile issue will be addressed quite quickly and things to standardise. If only for the sake of sales.

I also suspect that PIB was making reference to W95 with their tongue wedged in their cheek to prove the point about the moral high ground HD-DVD owners are taking (remember I'm a HD-DVD owner), about updates. MS invented the ship it and patch it ethos!

The points were totally missed that Richard and PIB were making.

9. PIB
    Coat

Spot on, comment

"I also suspect that PIB was making reference to W95 with their tongue wedged in their cheek to prove the point about the moral high ground HD-DVD owners are taking"

Exactly... and why am I not surprised that some people need to have it spelt out for them.

"I still can't help but think it's all sour grapes. "What can I find negative to pick on?" syndrome."

Great point, which hits the nail firmly on the head.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like