back to article Office 2013 now on sale for business customers

Office 2013, the latest version of Microsoft's desktop productivity suite, is now available for purchase by business customers, even though individual users won't be able to order it until next year. The final versions of the Office application suite have been available to members of Microsoft's MSDN and TechNet subscription …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't believe people are still using Office these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Possibly because of existing processes/procedures that are tied to:

Access

Excel

OneNote

Outlook

PowerPoint

Publisher

Sharepoint

Word

2. Khaptain Silver badge
      Trollface

@AC Troll

And just what would you suggest is truly on par with office ? Please be carefull and avoid making a fool of yourself by answering the usual "Libre Office", Open Office solutions, they are really not on par.....

Ask yourself why the German Foregien Office made a u-turn ? In the end it would have cost them more money, not less to deploy the "free" solution. Go figure...

2. David Strum
    IT Angle

Another "fresh bottle of bubbly"

Oh MS, big, fat, bloaty-corporate super tanker, pal: isn’t it time you made something new and exciting? Why this constant rehash? Why must we pretend the old 2003, 2007 and 2010 are so old now, we must have the latest? A lot of my pals are sticking to 2003 and most are using hooky licences: that’s the reality. You can't keep opening a fresh bottle of bubbly to try and keep everyone from leaving your party.

1. Test Man
      Thumb Down

Re: Another "fresh bottle of bubbly"

Who cares?

Stick with 2003 - no one is forcing you to move.

However, that doesn't mean companies must simply stand still. 2013 is available and if people want it, they'll get it.

No one really cares about you and your mates sticking to 2003. Congratulations *slowclap*

1. HipposRule
        Stop

@Test Man - Not until 2014 if your using office on an in-scope device for PCI - then you will have to move.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Enterprise licences give access to new versions of office without adding any cost. The latest versions sometimes add bug fixes or improvements and those are more than welcome in any company.

No one is forced to update but then again if you are still running Dos or Windows 3,1 or Linux from the command line then it is easy to understand your position.

3. slightly-pedantic
    Facepalm

Microsoft gets 'em young

Within days of arriving at high school my daughter was given homework that required MS Publisher & MS Access files to be opened- IIRC neither was easy using competitor products.

4. HipposRule

Been using it for about 3 weeks now and I must be unusual in that I like the uncluttered UI - have seen people complaining about it on the web. As I'm not using anything in the cloud it doesn't seem much different to 2010

5. Michael Kean
    Happy

Word 2.0 was good enough ...

... except for floating images.

I helped my partner write a book in Word 2.0 on a 386 with 16MB RAM - including many scanned full page images of maps and microscopy. Back then you had to insert a frame before you could place an image in it, and it was wise to link to images rather than embed them in the document so it wouldn't fall over. I've not seen much change in a practical sense since then in Word; other than improvements to image positioning, etc - although I don't use anything more advanced that table of contents, styles, mail merge.

Access 2007 and above however are soooo much nicer than Access 2003 and below. Still, I guess the only way to keep selling Office is to keep selling computers without Office on them. Office 2003 was the last one that didn't care how many machines it was installed on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like