back to article RIM gifts new BlackBerry dev handset to select few

Research in Motion has kicked off the next phase of its BlackBerry 10 Developer Program with a giveaway of a brand-new BlackBerry developer device. Dubbed the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha C, the new testing device is the first to incorporate what RIM describes as "our industry-defining BlackBerry QWERTY keyboard." Since launching …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've coded for Android, but don't know if I'd be interested in a RIM job

Different, but a bit risky, I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've coded for Android, but don't know if I'd be interested in a RIM job

Less risky than developing for IOS or Android. A tiny percentage of IOS and Android developers make any money. While the same is true for BB developers it's a much bigger tiny percentage :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've coded for Android, but don't know if I'd be interested in a RIM job

There's still a huge business user count, so if you code something worthwhile then you can get some sales.

As for the free dev handsets, they seem to end up on ebay all the time so there is a good reason for being more selective about handing them out.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Quality over quantity

I'm just glad to see that someone in the marketplace still values quality and that I won't have to trawl through hundreds of identical apps to find what I want. Everyone seems to have it in for RIM at the moment; there've been lots of comments here saying they should just give up and get out of the business, but I for one think it can only be good for consumers to have more choice. If they give it their best shot and no-one buys their stuff, then that's how it goes, but there's certainly room in the market for more than a two-horse race. Giid luck to 'em!

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Quality over quantity

*sigh* shocking spelling there - "good" luck, obviously!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quality over quantity

I don't know what people have against them, unless it is the US not liking any non-US company to be in charge of a smartphone system. Now that Nokia is just Microsoft's equivalent of Foxconn, RIM is the only maker of phones that use in-house software and hardware.

Perhaps that's why Obama continues to use one - there's a reasonable chance of no backdoors through to the Republicans.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like