back to article NASA: 'Those life-on-Mars rumors? Chill, dudes and dudettes'

Calm down, Mars fanatics. NASA has tossed a wet blanket over speculation that its Curiosity rover has found evidence of life – or, at minimum, of organic compounds – on the Red Planet. "Rumors and speculation that there are major new findings from the mission at this early stage are incorrect," the agency plainly stated in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thorne

No Mars Attacks

I feel safer already...

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: No Mars Attacks

Don't be so sure. After we've been bombarding them for years, then sent in an invasion force, I reckon the Martians are getting pretty pissed off with the ejits from the blue planet. Seeing as we're probably a lot bigger than them, they'll probably hit us with something quite unexpected and original... Bugs of some sort I expect.

1. VinceH
        Unhappy

Re: No Mars Attacks

I think they might have already infected me :(

2. Grikath

Organics would be too much to ask, and even if they found some at this stage of the mission they would most likely have gone back a bit, and flushed the rovers' systems within an inch of it's life befor re-sampling the spot that would have given the hit. Just to be really *really* sure.

There's a range of results that would be seriously good news without having found organics: Conclusive evidence of free-flowing water in Mars' past would be a real hit already. Evidence of "free flowing" water or subsurface moisture in it's *recent* past or even the actual present would be gobsmacking.

3. Androgynous Crackwhore
    Facepalm

Well I'm glad...

...they stopped for a moment to get their facts together this time, rather than rush all red-faced to the media to create some huge fuss about nothing. :-|

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Upvoted

for having an excellent name.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
        Happy

Re: Upvoted

Thank you kind Sir.

Although, I notice you chose to post anonymously. Can't tempt you with my secret sauce then?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frame of reference

Any Physicist will tell you that observations can vary depending on your frame of reference.

If your frame of reference is a desire to relate scientific data to carefully constructed and hotly debated hypotheses, then you are likely to observe within yourself a different level of excitement than in someone whose frame of reference is Michael Bay movies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Frame of reference

Would've been a good post if you hadn't fallen prey to intellectual snobbery. Always annoys me that so many people equate choice of entertainment with intelligence. Tweed jacket intelligentsia dogma wins again ...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Frame of reference

You forgot the leather-elbow patches.

5. Richard Tobin
    FAIL

At least you didn't fall for this one...

... like Slashdot did: http://science.slashdot.org/story/12/11/29/2331246/nasa-curiosity-has-found-plastic-on-mars

6. Bill Neal
    Go

BIG NEWS?

Maybe the big news is that their under-clocked G3 is still living up to expectations. I would like to see them try (just as an experiment) a dual processor board with a rad/space rated cpu as a backup along side a more modern clocked compatible architecture. If it survives the journey, they'd get a bonus without risking the entire mission on a piece of silicon. How hard can that be? (please don't remind me how that question taunts Murphy's law)

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Re: BIG NEWS?

Well, the types and amounts of radiation and particles encountered during interplanetary travel are quite well known (I assume, based on all the probes that have been there in the past few decades); so I'm guessing they're nearly certain "conventional" electronics would fail quickly.

As in, sure enough that the extra mass doesn't justify the difference between certain and nearly certain.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

Re: BIG NEWS?

Also, outside of a mind deformed into believing that computers are more important than stuff, who'd care? Why spend a huge amount of money sending a computer whch probably won't work to Mars when you could send the same weight of something with which you can do actual, you know, science?

7. Esskay
    Meh

To be expected?

I'm not exactly sure what they were expecting when they came out and told everyone that they had amazing news from mars - I'm fairly certain "big news from mars" = "signs of life" for pretty much every mainstream media outlet; these (media outlets) are people who make a living out of jumping to conclusions so I don't know why this would be any different.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

No life on Mars?

Plus an author who purports to be local calls San Francisco--"Frisco"??

Doubly disappointing....

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Swarthy

Re: No life on Mars?

"SF" is also acceptable. Or "The Bay Area" if one is feeling inclusive.

I usually stick to SF, because screw Oakland.

9. xyz Silver badge
    Alien

Got a funny feeling this is being stomped on by the MAN

...and what was pretty earth shattering will end up being a nothing event. Even science sites are having a hell of a job trying to keep this under control...e.g see these rules for this site in respect of astrobiology (i.e. little green men) http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=7514&st=0&p=194625&#entry194625

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or...

... They actually found something mind-blowing, but flocks of black helicopters are already circling above

11. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Unhappy

Probably just product placement

"We found a RING on mars! A golden ring!

In the SANDS OF MARSSSS. It could fit in someone's POCKETSESS.

But then it turned out that it was just crap that fell off the rover."

Now go watch the movie.

12. annodomini2

Water

They've found direct evidence of water.

Nothing more.

13. Miek
    Thumb Down

As predicted, NASA are setting us all up for a big disappointment.

14. DaiKiwi
    Alien

Under the microscope

Current organics - I don't hold any hope of seeing any. Never have,

Finding some half-billion year old micro-fossils would be a cool enough discovery for me.

15. ciaran

Plastic!

http://nasaupdatecenter.us/press.html

1. annodomini2
      FAIL

Re: Plastic!

It's fake!

Official news site:

http://www.nasa.gov/news/releases/archives/index.html

16. Zmodem

the watching aliens that laugh at it actually moving, beamed down a fart onto the sensor

17. Treeman

Prepared..

I for one will welcome our organic Martian overlords.

18. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Unhappy

Color me disappointed

But not surprised.

19. Chris Hawkins
    Linux

Shades of Roswell 1947

Hmm!

First the indication of something big and then the official denial!

Seems to be that MIB and Majestic have been busy!

And all because Curiosity has found wifi signals on Mars and determined that 90% of client and server systems use Linux!

Have to protect MS and Apple,, you know!

20. Mostor Astrakan

Nasa is...

Slowly but surely, drawing its plans against them.

Serves the bastards right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like