back to article HP boffin: Honey! I shrank the PC. To nanometre size, dammit

HP boffins have packed layers of RAM, caches and storage into a combined block of memristors and processor cores to create highly scalable "nanostore" systems. It's hoped these little monsters will chew through mountains of data with terrific energy efficiency. A memristor increases or decreases its electrical resistance …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Ok, when did the retardation of abbreviating "Cache" with "$" start?

And who did this so that he may be dragged through the streets and be flogged into shape?

1. hplasm
      Happy

But-

Cache is £, surely?

1. pauly

Re: But-

at least they didn't choose €

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Joke

Re: Re: But-

"at least they didn't choose €" They're saving the Euro symbol for thin provisioned cache, where you can over-commit right up to the point where your system crashes and you have to call Germany for a bail out.

2. Eddie Edwards
      Happy

Ha, I've seen it over many years but it's only your post which made me realize why it's used.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

".....could distinguish it from Dell, Cisco and IBM....."

Don't be silly, hp is not likely to go back into the processor game. It's more likely to license the tech to other CPU manufacturers, such as best buddy Intel for Xeon and Itanium, which means Dell and CISCO and IBM will have equivalent offerings almost as soon as hp do. Maybe hp will have some advantage from knowing more about how the tech works, allowing them to design better systems around the new chips or get products out the factory door first, but I suspect the license revenue model is where hp will look to make money off this. And it's more than likely it will be licensed into Power seeing as IBM don't have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting any competing tech ready in time to compete with Xeons and Itaniums packing memristor tech. Phase Change Memory aka PRAM is aimed at flash replacement and doesn't like hot environments like the inside of p-series ovens.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ".....could distinguish it from Dell, Cisco and IBM....."

Given HP's recent form, it's more likely to swap it for a chocolate teapot factory and a trillion dollar bonus for the CEO

1. N13L5

"Given HP's recent form, it's more likely to swap it for a chocolate teapot factory and a trillion dollar bonus for the CEO"

You have to give HP credit for the fact that it was infiltrated by one of Larry's trojan horses to help Oracle by trashing competitors from the inside.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Boffin

"....it was infiltrated by one of Larry's trojan horses...." If you are referring to Mark Hurd, he joined hp in 2005, whereas Larry didn't even look at buying the Sun carcass until early 2009, possibly late 2008.

3. andysparkes

There are parts of HP that are extremely innovative, next weeks HP Discover will also highlight some very smart integration of HP Labs IP into HP Storage products. There will also be demonstrations of how Autonomy can work inconjunction with HP's storage products

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are parts of HP that are extremely innovative,

Well, assuming HP sticks to form, those departments will be cleansed and used as feedstock for Carbon Black in the HP Core Business: Made In China printer toner cartridges! Shareholder Value the HP way!!

4. Bronek Kozicki
    Thumb Up

exciting

but the proof will be in memory access latency and OS support. Both file IO and virtual memory manager, and probably other bits of kernel, are going to be affected by removal of a barrier between RAM and nonvolatile storage, in connection with absolute minimum of resources available.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Who's ProgramMING Sources CodeXSSXXXX Transfers

WOW, HP, that's Truly Progressive. Does IT Host Virtual Realities in Networking Nano Connections? For such is it for in Great Game Use.

Is Life to be a Great HP Game Franchise?

And that is freely offered here/there/anywhere, for Pioneering Powers Phishing Internets Plundering MetaDataBases/Stealing from the Blind.

What's it to be, HP? All Systems are Go Go Go here and everywhere else needed and seeded with feeds and leads to follow.

And yes, El Reg, Full Transparency can be Very Concealing about Revealing Matters Revealing Matters Best Servered Privately with Parallel Pirate Pilot Programs Mysteriously Exploding onto and Bounding Centre Stage.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

egghead v bozo war

The lab boffins continue to think of ways to make HP a success and the bozo's at the top keep on blowing billions trying to kill it but get a nice bonus. Who will win?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: egghead v bozo war

Your guess is as good as mine....

7. andysparkes

the boffins will win, or more specifically HP will win.... HP IS returning to its engineering roots and still has a very deep bench of talent. The enterprise group is run by an engineer and HP Labs is also run by engineers.

8. Jim O'Reilly
    Pint

Naturally, It won't be an x86 architecture CPU on board....Why make this easy?!

So, we could have a great idea, with say Itanium3 attached, wrecking its prospects.

I think this could be cool, if it works and the fab can cook more than 1 of them per wafer batch.

Mind, there is a rumor Intel and Micron are going down a similar path.

9. Nigel 11
    Angel

Smart way to go, especially in the long run

The nanostore design appears to place energy efficiency above data retrieval rates

Also massively distributed processing.

I can think of something else that works this way, that's been honed by hundreds of million years of evolution. I'm sure you can too ;-)

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Boffin

"smart memory" rides again. The late 80's are back.

Back then various LSI conference proceedings were full of architecture to link simple (usually bit serial) processors to individual storage chunks down to the bit level, promising massive processor/memory bandwidth. Image processing was a popular theme but rock strata reconstruction (IE looking for oil) was in there too.

IIRC only the ICL design made it into production. I think N. Carolina @ Chapel Hill were keen on it as well.

So the density has improved, the chunks got bigger and the processors will presumably be full 32 bits.

Didn't happen then. Not convinced it'll happen now.

But yes, it could play crysis.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like