back to article Google mingles Drive and Gmail for 10GB attachments

Google is changing Gmail's attachment-handling capabilities to allow files from its Drive cloud storage service to be embedded directly in messages, opening the door to sending files as large as 10GB in a single email. "Whether it's photos from your recent camping trip, video footage from your brother's wedding, or a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em

Well

I for one can't wait to receive my first spool-busting 2GB email. Thanks in advance, Google!

2. vagabondo

But will

Googlemail accept 10GB messages?

If someone tries to cc 10GB to 100 "recipients", does that mean that 1TB is deposited in the outbox?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Alert

Re: But will

".....If someone tries to cc 10GB to 100 "recipients"...." Just think of the new DDoS capability - just send an email to all the email addresses for an organisation with 10GB of random pics grabbed off the Web and watch their email servers choke. We occaissionally get email bombed with relatively minor attachments of up to 10MB of junk, a 10GB payload would be nasty.

1. Badvok
        Mushroom

" a 10GB payload would be nasty."

Wow, that would also cost a hell of a lot to set up, that would be URLs for over 100 million items on your Google drive.

2. miknik

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it will just include a link to the file on your Google drive account, as the article says you need to update the sharing permissions for any files you " email" in this fashion.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nosey bastards

I've had a Gmail account from early on. I used to have my full name in the profile but reduced it to initials when they tried to rope me in to Buzz (whatever that was).

Now when I go to YouTube I get asked if I want to change my channel name to my real full name which they have kindly remembered for me.

I use the Ghostery add-on but the way things are going I will soon be using Tor for everything.

Anon 'cos Google will probably cross reference this post

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Register* here

We notice that you did not use your real name when you posted that message.

Is that because:

My Register account is for show or character.

My Register account is for a music artist of group.

My Register account is for a product, business or organization.

My Register account is well-known for other reasons.

My Register account is for personal use, but I cannot use my real name.

I'm not sure, I'll decide later.

*not really. I lied.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop mashing services together

I wish Google would stop trying to mash their services together. It's all getting very confusing and I feel like they're trying to take over every aspect of my online life. Okay, I may have felt that a little even before today, but more so now!

And they're not really attachments per se. They're just attaching a link to the Google drive download. Much like grabbing the link for a file from your dropbox and emailing it to a friend.

1. vagabondo

Re: Stop mashing services together

Well if the "attachments" are just a URL there isn't really a story because a file location could always have been included in any email, even prior to the Internet.

1. Badvok
        Meh

Re: Stop mashing services together

"Well if the "attachments" are just a URL there isn't really a story because a file location could always have been included in any email, even prior to the Internet."

Yep, sounds like they are simply making it easier to get a link to something on your Google Drive when sending an email. I can't see what all the fuss is about.

2. Shagbag
      Happy

It's called 'innovation'

Google are just trying to make life simple for you. Microsoft like to use the phrase 'feature rich'. It's all the same thing - a load of old bollocks. Now if you want REAL innovation take a look at those phones that have a dedicated facebook button. That's innovation right there. Something so simple and yet so highly innovative.

...and for those literaltards out there, I am being sarcastic.

5. DJ 2
    Stop

Well that f**ks up gmail.

Good move google, I can't access Google docs from work. How exactly am I supposed to get my timesheet each month?

1. Badvok
      WTF?

Re: Well that f**ks up gmail.

Icon says it all!

6. Test Man
    Stop

"Your move, Hotmail and Yahoo!"

We can leave out Hotmail in the subheading for a start - I'm sure Hotmail (or should I say Outlook.com) already does this.

1. Mog0

You're right. I'm pretty sure Hotmail/skydrive has been doing this for a year or two already

7. Maryland, USA
    Unhappy

great...unless you're firewalled

Great! I'll finally be able to get large video files to collaborators from work. Oh, wait: In the vast organization where I work, all file-sharing sites are blocked.

8. cs94njw
    FAIL

Gutted. Tried the popup compose thing and didn't like it. This functionality sounds ace tho :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like