back to article Skills shortage may crimp Asia's IT rise

Asia Pacific will once again be the envy of the tech world in 2013 as it posts steady ICT spending growth of near eight per cent, but a worsening skills shortage could hamper enterprise technology adoption, according to IDC. The analyst’s top ten predictions for 2013 began with good news for the region (excluding Japan) in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lack of the right kind of IT skills......

I don't think there will be a shortage of narrowly defined coders from Asia but people with other important skills (understanding complex business requirements and how the overall solution fits together - skills that used to be associated with Systems Analysis and Systems Engineering) may well be a problem already. I suspect China gets this more than India, all the way up to a governmental level.

2. Shagbag

Help me out here..

"increasing talent shortage in APAC could harm organisations' innovation efforts as CIOs struggle to adapt to ongoing technological change"

"importing talent... can lead to unwanted inflation in the market"

I'm finding it difficult to reconcile these two statements. Maybe it's because I'm not an idiot. People really need to proof read their copy before they publish. Unless they want to look like a fuckwit.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Shagbag

Every population has its % of talent and its % of fuckwits

APAC has produced some truly talented IT professionals. It's just that most of them work outside of APAC because they're paid more.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Skills shortage

Is this same (fictitious) Skills shortage we allegedly have in the UK?

1. Magister

Re: Skills shortage

Beat me to it.

At the moment, there still seems to be a serious disconnect between businesses and their IT. I've had a couple of discussions with senior business managers and they really don't seem to be able to understand how they should be using IT within their business. If they can't identify what they need, how can they determine if they are appointing the right people with appropriate skills?

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Skills shortage

There's a serious disconnect between RECRUITERS and potential employees. When online recruitment webshites won't even let me enter my *****ing *telephone* *number*[1], they demonstrate that they are actively going out of their way to stop people even trying to apply for their jobs.

[1]"Invalid telephone number, please only enter digits and no spaces". I'm sorry, but nobody remembers their telephone number as a random string abcgdiehfidh. Telephone numbers are xxx SPACE xxx HYPHEN xxxx or xxxx SPACE xxxxxx. I'm slightly prepared to remove the punctuative hyphen from my telephone number, but refusing to allow me to enter ****ing SPACES?

This is just as bad as the recruitment webshites that insist on brain-dead punctiative complexity passwords. I'm sorry, but my password (may be) my dog smells of cheese. It is NOT my dog-with-a-zero smells-but-with-an-upper-case-s-and-!-instead-of-an-l-but-which-l, etc. etc fuckit I can't remember. etc. argh!!! For a JOB APPLICATION?????

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

My mistake

I thought the headline was "Skills shortage may crimp Asda's IT rise". I suppose it happens a lot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like