back to article APPLE goes on crazy, price-SLASHER Black Friday RAMPAGE

On the day when stores slash prices and punters queue for hours to sweep up tech bargains, Apple has slightly reduced prices on its iPads and MacBooks. Black Friday is bargain bonanza day in the US - and increasingly, the UK - and Apple has tentatively joined the cost-cutting orgy with some 8 to 9 per cent discounts. Form an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

8%? hahahahahahahaha

1. dogged
      Meh

I suppose that 8% of Apple's superinflated prices is probably as much as 30% from, say, Lenovo. But not to worry, the Apple criteria are still there; it'd still be till far more expensive and, er worse.

2. Kebablog

If your buying today it's a handy, but small discount. What's the problem?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I haven't got a "buying today"

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slight discounts but nothing compared to shopping in the US

Or just buy a way cheaper laptop.

1. JDX Gold badge

If it's way cheaper it'll be way crapper. You want a moderately cheaper one :)

1. dogged

Not really. Apple's weird-ass keys have been putting me off buying their stuff for years. Oh no, we can't have the same IBM keyboards as everyone else because WE'RE SO SPECIAL. Gobshites.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Erm, they're the same as Mac keyboard ever have been.

Why should everything conform to the PC way of doing things as if that's the correct way of doing things?

Should a high end sports car conform to the way GM or Ford cars do things just because they are more common? nope.

1. dogged
              Stop

In terms of controls and controllers? Yes.

A high-end sports car might well have a flappy-paddle gearbox but (and this is important) if it does, I won't buy it because I don't like it.

Customer preference is important. Apple don't care about my preference so I don't buy their products.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

When I got a Macbook Air about 18 months ago it took me all of a few minutes to adapt the keyboard - it's what we humans do.

4. jai

this is news?

it's no different than any other year

5. The Serpent

Discount on Apple gear?

I remember back when the graphite CRT iMacs were current products, the best discount I found off what I believe was a £900 price tag was £12.

8% seems quite generous!

6. JDX Gold badge

Considering we're NOT IN AMERICA complaining we only get 8-10% seems pretty silly. Note you can also get another 2-3.5% from cashback sites, and this is not insignificant.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet the local university gets 15% discount at the store and online (in blighty)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seeing as this is to celebrate a USA holiday, I think the fact that those outside the States get any discount at all is rather charitable

1. ratfox
      WTF?

Celebrate a holiday?

When there are sales after Christmas, do you also attribute this to stores celebrating Christmas by offering cheaper prizes as gift to their customers?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Black Friday is not to celebrate a USA holiday.

9. 0laf
    FAIL

8% that better than Amazon UK is doing with their Black Friday 'sale'. Unless you count pumping the RRP to the max in the hours before.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Most of the deals on Amazon were pretty poor - at least this is a a real discount on something you actually want. Dropping £30 off a £129 Kindle Fire just tells me they are desperate - it's still a poor tablet and I'd much rather have a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini albeit for more money. One will sit gathering dust - the other two will get used.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thumbs down from the guy who bought a Kindle Fire <lol>

10. Cihatari
    Happy

Actually useful for me, Good call, El Reg!

I was thinking of getting a new rodent to replace the rather tired Mighty Mouse that I've currently got. An eleven pound-odd discount off the normal asking price is not to be sneezed at!

So thanks for posting this one guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Actually useful for me, Good call, El Reg!

Yes the discounts on Airport, Magic mouse and keyboard are significantly higher.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know loads of people who were waiting for today to get an iPad - the discount is not bad when they were going to buy it anyway. Funnily enough no-one was buying a Kindle Fire (no surprise there) reckon they will end up giving them away with a 2 year Prime subscription and even then I would use the Prime but the tablet no thanks.

12. Jan 0 Silver badge

iMacs

Curiously, my local store said they didn't have any iMacs to sell. No pre-October announcement thick iMacs and no new iMacs. The 21.5 inch new iMac is supposed to arrive in November, so they don't have many days left to deliver.

Either way, there were no discounts on iMacs, nor the 27 inch Thunderbolt monitor that I'm thinking of buying. That too could do with the thin edge treatment and a bigger screen. While I'm whinging, why has the 30 inch cinema display shrunk to a 27 inch display? My desk would accommodate a 40 inch display and my eyes would love it if with a reolution of say 4000 x 2250. (Yes, i agree 4000 x 3000 would be even better:)

1. Lallabalalla
      Thumb Down

Re: iMacs

They don't have any iMacs - they've already sold them all and there's not likely to be any new ones in stock yet. Resellers are in a similar position but *they* are not likely to get stock till after Xmas apparently, which is not pleasing them much...

I think I shall have to get down to Curry's to pick up one of the last generation ones to have a DVD-ROM drive before they all go - I have no interest in an all-in-one that requires peripherals as basic as a burner. It's thinner you say? Meh.

And as for the keyboard, it's easy enough to find the # symbol once you know it's called pound not hash. And find http://www.toogeektobetrue.com/mac/how-to-type-the-hash-symbol-in-mac/ even though they think it's called hash not pound... simples!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Black Friday is not a U.S. holiday

It just marks the traditional first day of the American Christmas shopping season, because most people get the day after Thanksgiving off.

14. silent_count

Why would they?

Given that any buyer who cares about the price tag wouldn't be buying i-stuff to begin with, why would Apple discount their stuff more than a token amount?

15. JeffyPooh
    Pint

25% margin, is that all?

Considering that's 25% margin, presumably, from manufacturing oftentimes all the way to retail, not exactly overpriced. What's Samsung's margin? 24.9%?

16. J 3
    Joke

Yay!

8% discount on Apple gear? Yay, that savings will be enough to pay rent this month!

(sorry about that)

This topic is closed for new posts.