back to article Pakistan bans 'immoral' late night mobe deals

Pakistan's Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has banned mobile packages offering cheap late night calls after deeming that they go against the country’s “values”. The PTA explained it had taken the hardline action after complaints from religious groups, politicians and members of the public that the packages were against “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Old Handle
    Paris Hilton

Wow.

And here I thought those deals were to encourage people to use the network when it's less busy. But really they were meant to encourage booty calls all along? Good to know.

2. Ossi
    Thumb Down

Against our moral values = making it harder to isolate women so they don't talk to men. What a twisted place.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Umm, I can't be the only one that sees what they get up to online, they're pretty modern really, just the oldie leaders have no idea!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Backwards

in every possible way except wealth!!!!

4. Ole Juul

complaints from religious groups, politicians

They're just jealous because they can't stay awake long enough to take advantage of the deals.

5. Anonymous Coward 101
    Meh

Is 'late night package'...

...a euphemism for some sort of phone ham shank service or something?

6. Bumpy Cat
    Unhappy

Very sad

There's a quote from an Indian writer which I remember whenever I read things like this:

"The idea of India is better than the best Indian; the idea of Pakistan is worse than the worst Pakistani."

India was explicitly set up as a multi-ethnic, multi-religious democracy, and despite the efforts of some BJP nationalists it remains that today. Pakistan was set up as a state for one religion, and that exclusivity has led it down a path that would have Jinnah spinning in his grave. Pakistan first turned on its Hindus, then on its Bengalis, and now it's the Shia and Christians turn.

This pandering to fanaticism is eating Pakistan alive, and I don't see any hope for the immediate future.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you feeling okay?

India where you get arrested for complaining about the funeral of a guy who was openly fascist and praised Hitler?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bal_Thackeray

The same India where they elected religious extreamists (the BJP and it's partners) as their national government.

The same India where the politicians where accused of and I think convicted of inciting the Gujarat riots during which rioters included using sexual violence against women? Where over 1000 people died?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujarat_riots#Criminal_prosecutions

Please, the only difference between Pakistan and India is that India has a better PR team.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Are you feeling okay?

I think you misunderstood the purpose of using that quote.

2. Bumpy Cat

You're proving my point for me.

Yes, two people were arrested for complaining about Thackeray's funeral - and then the public outcry forced the police to change their behaviour. In Pakistan the two would have just disappeared, or turned up dead, or the mob would have been attacking (not defending) them.

I did say the BJP are a hindrance, but they don't always win the election. When was the last successful election in Pakistan?

As you say, politicians were convicted of inciting the Gujarat riots. You said it. Convicted. In Pakistan? Well, mobs kill politicians who speak up for minorities, and the rest of the politicians encourage the extremism.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They where convicted after lots of covering up and an international outcry - and then years after blaming the minority group for starting the troubles (the fire in the train turned out to be an accident caused by the people on board).

Check google for attacks against "untouchables" that convert to Christianity and Islam in India. Churches get burnt. No one gets touched because it does not hit the news in a big way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/01/india.religion

Also with the case of the Christian girl in Pakistan. There was an outcry and the case was dealt with (she was released) - just like in India - a correct decision after a public outcry is not a cause for celebration but a sign of things being very wrong.

Like I said, the same - India just has better PR.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Very sad

Sadly true.

Every sign of a failing state that is actively throwing itself into the abyss - with nuclear weapons.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Extremist by the front door

If a gun to the head or blowing up the telecoms towers won't stop them, then get the countries law makers to make it iillegal.

Fucking extremists. Just when there was hope for Pakistan and their Rationalist society, this ludicrous numbskullery pops up.

Message to Pakistan ... you're society is changing. You can't hold back time.

8. TRT Silver badge

Surely, though...

a blasphemy law is in itself blasphemy? All-mighty God doesn't need the laws of man to defend and punish those that speak against Him or His prophets? And making such laws is saying man's law is higher than God's, no? It doesn't make sense to me.

Mind you, it's the British in 1860, 1927 and 1947 that brought that damned legal framework to those regions in the first place, albeit in the hope of quashing religious fighting.

9. Jim Carter
    Thumb Down

Seriously...

Fuck religion. Up the arse. With a slowly rotating pineapple.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Seriously...

Fuck religion irrational extremists who use gut instinct and "what they know" rather than hard numbers and verifiable science to make decisions which they then force upon others. (Regardless of if those extremists be religious, political, economic or so forth.) Up the arse. With a slowly rotating pineapple.

T, FTFY.

Evidence-based legislation of GTFO.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do Mileikowski first ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like