back to article APPLE reveals complete updated blueprints of SPACESHIP JOBS

Hours after it was revealed that the completion of Apple's planned office doughnut would be delayed until at least 2016, the Cupertino city council posted revised plans for the eco-Stalinist structure, first sketched by Steve Jobs and now widely known as the "Spaceship". As The Reg had reported earlier, the city council had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never a good sign

Fancy new, no-expense-spared, HQ buildings always seem to precede a major meltdown of the company concerned. Sell AAPL now...

1. cheveron

Re: Never a good sign

There's certainly an adage in the valley that you should always move into someone else's vacant building rather than building your own. Maybe Apple is hoping to avoid that fate by building on an old HP site. Only time will tell.

2. Eponymous Bastard
      Devil

Here's hoping!

3. Mage Silver badge

Reminds me of Nokia and British Satellite Broadcasting.

Who in Finland will want the Nokia HQ?

Pride cometh before a Fall.

There is another word too... They think they are gods but are only a consumer marketing company with 1 successful service and 2 successful products.

They could always re-jig iTunes for Linux desktop and Android?

1. Muscleguy

You could add RBS's headquarters just outside Edinburgh to the list of hubris edifices.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

RE:"The newly revealed plans make few changes to the main edifice that, at 2.8 million square feet, will be one of the world's most capcious office buildings, although the US Department of Defense's mega-headquarters, the Pentagon, handily bests it at 6.6 million square feet."

There is no such word as "capcious." There is a word "capacious," which is just a fancy way of saying "roomy." Then there is "captious" which means "unecessarily critical." Perhaps even proudful and vain, but there is no "capcious" or at least there has not been since we all spoke Middle English. So which did the author intend to write?

Read one way it would seem that "capacious" is what the author likely intended, but then again, Rik might have meant to write "captious" which, even Steven Jobs's friends would admit, is a descriptor that suited the man right down to the ground.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Thumb Up

@Billy Catringer

I thought you were being capricious, then I realised you were serious ;-)

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

perhaps they meant "capricious" - on a whim, changeable

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Recreate the Nat West tower right in the middle, only spelling SJ?

5. a_been
      Thumb Down

So Apple build a new building and bother to not make it crap, wankers moan about it. I thought "lets see what the wankers moan about" and first comment was by a wanker. If Apple cured AIDS wankers would mouan about the loss of money to doctors.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who'd have thought it?

Apple building a giant walled garden....

1. dssf

Re: Who'd have thought it? Or, a park...

Just add prehistoric creatures and sound effects.

Or, force fields, deflector shields, navigation arrays, and a Midas Array.

Reality distortion, not Buddhist attachment, explains the missing clock divisions. A different sort of "Clockwork Orange" orchard, sans cherries.

Maybe it will be renamed as MCFC: Magnetic Concentric Fruity Collider? They may be building one helluva "Smoothie King" there.

Maybe AARPA Apple Advance Research ProTECTion Agency? Could be hiding a cosmic biofilter, cryostasis plant, and quantum slipularity or quantum singstream filter matrix, replete with biomolecular reconstitution and regeneration alcoves.

The circle is symbolic for "Unimatrix/Sector 001".... The subdivisions are distraction from the intention...

On opening day, there will be a sigh stating, "You will be assimilated... YOU Will "Service" USSSSS!" in ALL senses of the word...

2. rvt

Re: Who'd have thought it?

Better to live in Apple's walled garden then in Android slum towns, right?

1. Euripides Pants

Re: slum towns

Better to live in the magic forest (with talking beavers) than a walled garden.

1. a_been
          Happy

Re: Euripides Pants

So your saying that Android is based on the belife in magic where as walled gardens were built becauce they worked.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

R&D off on the side?

Interesting to note that R&D isn't shoved off on the side like it was something they don't really care about. No fancy trees for them. I bet marketing gets all the nice window offices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: R&D off on the side?

I'll bet Legal gets better offices than Marketing

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: R&D off on the side?

You are assuming that there is any difference between legal and marketing.

And where is the garage to have the next bright idea in?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nicked the design wholesale from GCHQ, they've even nicked the same security reasoning for the shape!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why is it more secure

to build your building in the shape of a target?

1. trashbat

Re: Why is it more secure

More secure than the Pentagon. Planes just bounce right off.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nicked the design wholesale from GCHQ

Bet the next law suit will be against GCHQ for copying them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not on an empty lot either!

And they are leveling an entire neighborhood to do this! This won't be cheap. From the picture you figure that there are tons of mature old trees there already, not so. It's full of buildings and parking lots, all of which must go. See what google map shows is there now: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Homestead+Rd+%26+N+Wolfe+Rd,+Birdland+Neighbors,+Santa+Clara,+California+95014&hl=en&ll=37.332136,-122.011306&spn=0.012489,0.022295&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=50.224048,91.318359&t=h&geocode=FXW6OQId_DW6-A&hnear=Homestead+Rd+%26+N+Wolfe+Rd,+Birdland+Neighbors,+Santa+Clara,+California&z=16

1. Luke McCarthy

Re: It's not on an empty lot either!

Goodbye Pruneridge Avenue

1. dssf

Re: It's not on an empty lot either! Prunridge...

Maybe the trees will produce prunes with ridges?

Oh, wait... I should say "California RAISINS", lol....

It would be unfortunate if from aerial views the finished building looke like an organic discharge port, considering trees and fruits. I imagine marcom and legal have these covered...

2. paullaz

Most of is is a fairly derelict looking HP facility with plenty of not so nice cyclone fence around it. I'll be driving by it on the way to mom's house for Thanksgiving today.

3. Alan Firminger

It looks like about 600 housing units are on the site.

1. dssf

Makes me think of the massive Shanghai constrction sites i saw...

Just house the construction workers there... Less time and fewer wages and faster construction timetables due to onsite labor. But, will Foxconn provide? 'merkun and even Mexican labor might be too expensive, despite "no expense spared" being claimed...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From the Artisit's impression...

... looks like it will have it's own micro-climate compared to the surrounding area!

Wonder how much that's going to cost them?

7. Chris Miller

Where's jake?

"I remember when it were all fruit trees round here."

8. Colin Millar
    Headmaster

Not stalinist

The first name I thought of on seeing the plans was Albert Speer. Stalinist architecture for all its size was mean and brutal. It seemed to me always to reflect the insecurity and paranoia of that particular nutjob.

Speer's work, on the other hand, was confident and full of the grandeur of those who know they are the chosen people.

I'll have to make do with the only nazi icon available.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not stalinist

And that is different to most architecture how?

9. Bluenose
    Happy

Ahemm - Don't want to spoil the party

I just want to point out that this design is a direct rip off of my US Patent for a square building with rounded sides such that it forms a circle. Where do I lodge my claim? It may also breach my US Patent for a circular structure for the housing of fanbois and their keepers/feeders.

10. Haku
    Gimp

"protecting the perimeters against trespassers."

That part of the statement along with the enclosed design doesn't say "office" to me, but

"cult compound"...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out Of The Blue

I'm thinking that the design is reminiscent of a certain 1970's album by ELO....

Could old Steve have been getting on the bong when he designed this? Distant memories of slacker heaven storm his brain.... BANG! ELO cover made REAL!

Groovy!

Anonymous, because I don't want to admit that I'm THAT old....

12. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Gimp

Yes, Mr. Bond... our new headquarters. Soon the preparations will be complete.

I'm sure the cellars will hold torture devices, shark tanks, fanbois converted to supersoldiers kept under control by permanent morphine injection (until the time is right), finger-of-god orbiting laser platforms in their launch tubes, large meditation spaces with transdimensional prayer mills and saunas full of eager females.

jobs_gendo_pose.jpg

13. Anonymous Custard
    Boffin

I was wondering more if the next iPad will be powered by Higgs bosons or something equally exotic.

That damn place would make a fine American cousin to the LHC (in lieu of the Tevatron anyway).

14. Greg J Preece

Buddhist?

Every time I look at a top-down view of that thing, all I hear is a posh English voice saying "you may fire when ready."

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh to have the money to buy a tiny building in the middle of the compound and then say nope - not selling :)

1. Steve I
      Devil

You'd never survive...

A tragic accident would befall you. You'd be in the bath one day, when your Samsung phone, carelessly left on the side of the bath, will fall into the water and due to a tragic battery malfunction, electrocutes you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bath

I have a bath here. It's a rectangle, with rounded corners.

Oh, crap.

2. Benchops

You could easily make enough money to buy a small building by settling with Apple to sell it

16. TRT Silver badge

I wonder...

If there's a cycle track round the middle?

And those renderings... what are the small white gravestone shaped things in the central garden?

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: I wonder...

Those are grave markers for all the good ideas that went to Apple to die a horrible, lingering death by minimalist brushed aluminium and skeuomorphic UI design.

Apart from that, it looks quite nice. If you look closely you can see the iJobs glass booth where a projection appears ever year to steer the company ever onwards, like a turtlenecked Hari Seldon.

Would be even cooler if it was an actual spaceship though.

1. Esskay
        Big Brother

Re: I wonder...

Also features a room with a big poster of Forstall, where staff can line up and yell and scream at the man for 2 minutes each day for deviating from the True Path (tm) and causing all of Apple's woes.

17. Grikath
    Mushroom

Just a thought on ....security..

Given that all the nice top-outer/inner offices most likely will be given out to Legal and Sales the design offers a great opportunity for World Improvement.

One Daisy Cutter should do the trick.....

1. FrankAlphaXII
      Mushroom

Re: Just a thought on ....security..

Just 3 GBU-31 2000 Lb. JDAM bombs nosefused for Airbursts would do the job. One on both the north/south, and a third in their pond. The middle of the building might not collapse. It also might. Only so much you can do from the Air.

4800 PSI tends to do the trick when it comes to shattering stuff, use of the GBU-82 or GBU-43 is just overkill. Tactical nuke might actually be cheaper, monetarily anyway, and hell, it might be plausibly denied. I can see the headlines already ("iNuke project spirals out of control, vaporizes Cupertino")

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Just a thought on ....security..

Tallboy and the building falls neatly into the hole leaving the skyline clear.

the SABS could deliver an accuracy of about 85 metres which should be accurate enough

or "Bomb, Medium Capacity, 22,000 lb" (you may know it better as Grandslam) to be sure of the job

18. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

And will it still appear on Apple maps as a car park in Grimsby?

There's something decidedly odd about their priorities when it comes to R&D spending.

1. Steve I
      Facepalm

Re: And will it still appear on Apple maps as a car park in Grimsby?

Indeed - they should pull all the architects and interior designers and get them to work as iOS devs worksing on Maps.

"Can you teach me to program? I don't care if it takes all afternoon".

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Value

When companies are screwing the customer or anyone else (tax avoidance for example) e get treated to the old 'maximise shareholders value" chestnut, they don't really want to be immoral they are forced to do it. Then someone wants a nice new shiny HQ and suddenly you don't have to worry about the cheapest way to do it....hmmmmm

20. Tsunamijuan

Keeping with california cannibus laws

I think apple is just taking advantage of the california cannibus laws. You can't go under when you have the largest grow site in the state. Since its inclosed and secured it makes getting busted much more difficult.

Plus it would definitely increase their profit margins. You've gotta keep your hippies happy and creative somehow.

21. ratfox

Not easy to tell the scale

But unless I am completely off, the walk around it is a bit over one kilometer. This IS huge.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not easy to tell the scale

It depends on how its designed.

They could make the interior very large. By adding floors, they add that much more floorspace.

Not that huge really, the Pentagon's total length is 28.2 km and has 6.5 million square feet of Floor space. I had the unfortunate luck of having to work there for awhile, and its a huge building. When you're being told to go from say (and Im making this up, the numbering system is the same though) C-325 to E-518, first, you know you're probably in trouble (brass lives in the E Ring usually) and you know its a long damned walk ahead. There are five rings, (plus two basement "rings") and five floors in each ring there. I know Apple is planning four Floors, but I have no idea about rings or how they'll otherwise setup corridors.

The Apple building as planned is only about a third of the size, at 2.8 million square feet, so its not unlimited space, but it is indeed quite a bit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not easy to tell the scale

The Pentagon is a suprisingly shoddy building for a military structure. It's mostly timber, and they're lucky it didn't all go up in flames when that plane struck it on 11/9.

22. Mr Young
    Paris Hilton

Fecking whatever

Wish I had a hadron

1. Ole Juul
      Joke

Re: Fecking whatever

Wish I had a hadron

Ya, this doesn't really get a rise out of me either.

1. Steve I

Re: Fecking whatever

"Wish I had a hadron

Ya, this doesn't really get a rise out of me either."

Are you envious of Apple's planned erection?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

last pic, apple paradise romp

aka get fucked with discreet whine of tree-strapped, camo-masked cameras, while 50,000 apples are watching you.

p.s. given the couple sharing the idyllic view just had to be is a white woman and a black man, to underline the inherent diversity of blah blah blah, the one walking away must be... oh dear, I can't even think...

24. Ole Juul
    Thumb Up

eco-Stalinist structure

Nice phrase.

25. RAjohnboy

Isengard?

Just needs the tower of Orthanc in the middle right?

26. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Looks like a sterile inhuman edifice... so I guess that's a perfect fit.

27. the-it-slayer
    Paris Hilton

Bah!

If this was Google's new headquarters, everyone here would be splurging white stuff all over it like excited young males over naked women and Paris. Tsk tsk.

28. Eddy Ito

Eightfold structure?

I count three divisions in the NE quadrant and two in each of the others to make nine. I'm guessing the executive offices are in the NE quad and that would explain a need for more toilets, at least I assume those radial dividers are toilets.

29. Esskay
    Joke

With all those lights and eco tech

fanbois really will be able to claim that the sun shines out of Job's ring.

30. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Who really ...

gives a damn?

Jobs last ego trip and he's not even here to see it. Like his house and boat.

31. Christopher Blackmore
    Angel

I would expect...

I would expect this to be as unusable as the stupid unseaworthy barge Jobs designed, the good ship Venus.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck getting Cupertino to approve miles of fencing along the property line. The look of Silicon Valley tech parks is open landscaping with no fences. Private gardens are created in the spaces between secured buildings, like the inside area of apple's space donut. Only industrial buildings and the top-secret stuff up the road have fences on the property line. (People with huge piles of stock options don't ignore trespassing strangers so the lack of a fence doesn't make sneaking in the back entrance any easier.)

1. TRT Silver badge

The central core will be surrounded by bunkers, known as "sand-boxes", and any traffic between zones of the park will be via gate-keepers, run by Apple Properties Incorporated or APIs. Good luck finding your way around if you get the official campus map, though.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh...!

Poor mans GCHQ if you ask me. Self important knobs!

34. Robert Ramsay
    Meh

Let's just hope...

....they can still afford it in 2016...

35. Ken 16 Silver badge

Phase 2

Build a dome over the centre.

36. IT_grease_monkey

The Pommetagon?

37. Peter Stone
    Happy

Hmmmm....

Wil the fathfull gather & using pure mind power, levitate the structure to a better place? :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like