back to article McAfee takes time off blogging to concentrate on being chased by police

Followers of on-the-run cybersecurity baron John McAfee will be sorry to hear that he won't be updating his blog for the next few days. The billionaire inventor of McAfee antivirus software told friend Chad Essley this morning that "something had happened" and that he needed to move to another location. Despite being the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Bourke

You literally

couldn't make it up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I say

Top marks for the headline :-)

3. Charles Calthrop
    Joke

I'm not surprised he's on the run; brunei justice is very slow

I mean, his trial will last 365 days

oh yes

here all weeks folks

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "brunei justice is very slow"

That's interesting, but I don't see how it's relevant... This story is about events taking place in Belize - a country in a different continent on the other side of the world.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Up

"He claims he almost sold a dolphin to an Associated Press reporter..."

There really ought to be a Nobel Prize for weirdness, just so that this sort of thing can be commemorated and rewarded.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "He claims he almost sold a dolphin to an Associated Press reporter..."

There is Ig-Nobel for results that cannot and should not be reproduced.

Dabbling in Bath Salts would probably make the cut.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The billionaire inventor of McAfee antivirus software..."

"The antivirus millionaire..."

He sure knows how to spend money fast.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coming to a movie theatre near you soon

It's the stuff of Hollywood and regardless of how this pans out it's the story has got to be made.

James woods to play McAfee as he is the best at paranoia.

1. Psyx
      Pint

Re: Coming to a movie theatre near you soon

Oooh... a piece of candy experimental hallucinogen.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

'k Yeah!

IMDB Belize (2012) Directed by Terry Gilliam.

The long awaited sequel to Brazil (1985) in which the urban dystopia of the original is replaced by a subtropical Brave New World of psychoactive substances, sexual practices and extreme wealth divides. Like much of Gilliams work, it explores the themes of paranoia, subjective storytelling, unreliable narrators and has a strong streak of fantasy...

Seriously though, Gilliam's latest film doesn't seem too different- The Zero Theorem, starring Christolf Waltz as a reclusive computer programmer living in a burnt-out chapel, answering to the head of a totalitarian state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zero_Theorem

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: 'k Yeah!

I would PAY TO SEE THAT!

My mate was in Brazil, you know. One of the office boys.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

If anyone really believes this is John McAfee posting that he's disguised himself by sticking a tampon up his nose and occupied himself selling carved dolphins to reporters ... what's Santa bringing you this year?

1. Thomas 4

Re: Hmmm

Highly entertaining reading material like this blog. =P

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Hmmm

It's good that he didn't get confused and push a tampon into a carved-up dolphin. I mean, that would be like WEIRD or something.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

* PEDLAR

Although I'm really surprised you didn't write "pedaller".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Had a good larf...

Read about this disguise business and immediately thought of Clouseau !

10. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I wonder if there is room in the Ecuadorian Embassy for McAfee as well. Julian won't mind sharing I am sure.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they picking up people who do new things that might fall into the category of "nutter on the run", or picking up anyone who does the exact same things as he has previously? ;)

12. Tom 7

Study: If your antivirus doesn't sniff 'new' malware in 6 days, it never will

is that what he's hoping?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Study: If your antivirus doesn't sniff 'new' malware in 6 days, it never will

Maybe, with bad or no heuristics and no behavior signature checking.... he should be OK, as long as he keeps doing completely new batshit things ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Study: If your antivirus doesn't sniff 'new' malware in 6 days, it never will

I guess in this case the lads in blue "reading the newspaper" counts as "updating your detection signatures" :P

13. swschrad
    Holmes

disinformation

he's probably hiding in plain sight as the Minister of Information in Caracas, Venezula. well suited to the role. and El Presidente wouldn't notice.

14. crayon

Another earlier article said that MacAfee claimed he had already written 1 years worth of blog so even if he disappears the blog will continue to be updated.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry to be serious for a moment

But I hope this doesn't end with a crazy guy cowering in a street corner dying a pauper's death despite his riches. It seems to be moving faster and faster from crazy-funny to crazy-sick with every episode.

16. Flakey

Hang on a sec....

..if Mr Millionaire/Billionaire (the amount is irrelevant) is really paranoid about Belize justice and being stitched up for something he hasnt done, why doesnt he just use some of his wealth to get out the country? I cant believe that someone with his financial clout and presumably long list of friends cant conjure up a plane or a boat to get him out pronto. He cant be that crazy if he can work out disguises and ways to avoid the police. Something doesnt smell right about all this.

This topic is closed for new posts.