back to article Sharp chopper falls on early-retire plan as employees flee in droves

Ailing Japanese electronics maker Sharp has been forced to suspend its early retirement programme ahead of time due to the large numbers looking to cash in and check out. The under-fire Osaka-based firm, which predicted losses of ¥250bn (£1.92bn) for the year ending March 2013, has been looking to offload staff in a cost- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Wharram

Let's get rid of our most experienced staff!

Cunning. Real cunning.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Let's get rid of our most experienced staff!

I'd like you to meet Jack. Yes, he's a skeleton. But he's our most experienced staffer, and his input is invaluable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Voluntary redundancy is even worse

Step 1: announce to world company is on brink of failure, whereupon it will split open like a rotten fungus releasing all the staff both good and bad

Step 2: pay a self-selected group to leave quietly

So of course the brightest and best who are confident of getting other good jobs and don't want to be overlooked in the inevitable later torrent of slime molds grab the cash and run. They're also quite expensive since usually the exit bribe factors in experience and seniority. So company is now still headed straight for rocks but lacking both brains and cash.

Yes, sacking people on the basis of abilities is hard and can lead to legal stoush, but why does every HR/manager combo fudge it by going the VR route. It just doesn't work!

2. Timbo
    Coat

Exchange rate error ?

"The under-fire Osaka-based firm, which predicted losses of ¥250bn (£1.92bn) for the year ending March 2013, has been looking to offload staff in a cost-cutting exercise.

Sharp will be forced to record the ¥25.3bn (£19.47m) expense as an “extraordinary loss” for the third quarter of its financial year ending March 2013."

So, I "get" that ¥250bn is £1.92bn - but how come ¥25.3bn (roughly a tenth of 250bn) only gets me £19.47m..... ??

I thought one billion is a thousand million....maybe it's been decimalised and devalued and you don't get as much back, for lower values :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I must be missing something

Sharp wants to get rid of 11,000 people.

About 3,000 people actually want to leave but for some reason that's too many.

So now they have to stop people who want to leave from leaving so that they can get rid of another 8,000 people, most of whom probably don't want to leave.

I don't think I'm smart enough to work in HR.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: I must be missing something

They wanted just the thick and lazy ones to go. Unfortunately it seems either they're not _that_ thick or just too lazy!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like