back to article Sony coaxes indie Vita, Android developers with $99 SDK

Sony has launched an indie-focused portal for developers that includes access to the now-out-of-beta PlayStation Mobile software development kit. The PlayStation Mobile SDK has been available in beta form for quite some time, but Sony has now officially given it the green light and slapped on a $99 (£62) annual usage fee. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Hicks

Until such time...

...as it's decided to be a security risk and canned, with no refunds and no apology, if Sony's usual tactics are to continue.

2. PaulR79

Smart move

Perhaps Sony are learning that instead of crippling the development scene they can cash in on it and gain popularity from it. It may be wishful thinking but given how they are involved with the Android development scene it may be a sign of seeing it as an opportunity and not something to kill off.

1. PhilBuk

Re: Smart move

Nah - they're desparate to get some interest in the Vita.

Sony don't do clever.

Phil.

3. DrXym

Android SDK needs to be free

If Sony were smart they could carve themselves a nice slice of Android gaming by throwing out a PSN SDK for Android which enable games with trophies, single sign on, messaging and other features. And it needs to be free. Sony can still monetize such as by sticking ads on some of the screens, providing ways for games to contain ad billboards and so on.

1. pepper

Re: Android SDK needs to be free

If it would catch on they could make money on the devices themself. Although adds in the social space in games might work for sony.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Android SDK needs to be free

Android wasn't invented at Sony - Or to put it in Sony corporate speak: "

ner ner ner can't hear you , there's no such thing as Android, I can't hear you, I got my fingers in my ears, ner ner ner"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People don't mind buying quality software tools to develop with, they hate annual fees though.

5. h3

People other than Apple (Who seem to do just fine with the $99 arrangement). Would probably get more dev's if they just took the first $99 that an account makes.

I have an Xperia Play and it is ridiculously buggy. (No official ICS).

There is no way I would buy into anything Sony.

6. asdf
    FAIL

smell the desperation

After arrogantly bragging about how high the barrier of entry for their consoles was for developers to keep the riff raft out they have sure changed their tune. I guess when you are shifting barely more units of the Velveeta than the now obsolete PSP you have to do something.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like