back to article John McAfee blogs for help, offers $25K reward for neighbour's killer

John McAfee has taken time out from life on the lam to start a blog. The antivirus pioneer is wanted for questioning by Belize police in connection with the murder of one of his neighbours in the Central American country, although they maintain he is not a suspect. McAfee's neighbour, Gregory Faull, a fellow US expat, was shot …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Black Helicopters

He has a brain virus

You don't need crappy antivirus software to work that out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Crazy Mans Testimony

Ain't worth jack.

Leave him to his crazys.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow... WTF?

"I watched the police dig up my four dogs that had been poisoned and buried. They cut off the heads and re-buried the bodies,"

Testing for poison?

Afraid the are zombies/vampires?

...or is MacAfee just bat shit crazy?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Wow... WTF?

All three possibly.

2. Psyx

"Testing for poison?"

I don't know about poison, but rabies tests are carried out by sending the animal's head to labs. If the animals were acting strangely before-hand, they might be checking for that.

Or McAfee is totally bananas. I'm convinced someone of his distinctive physical could loiter around his own house "disguised" as a drunk (and thus drawing deliberate attention and being memorable) without the police noticing.

3. James Micallef Silver badge
      Meh

The whole story sounds crazy to me. To be honest he sounds mental, but then again, Central American Republics are not often renowned as paragons of justice and the rule of law* . So going on teh run might be a good survival questioning if the 'questioning' turns into something else altogether.

*Yes, I know virtually nothing about Belize specifically beyond it's location that would make me believe that it is a typical Central American tinpot dictatorship. I am sure my fellow commentards will feel free to enlighten me if, in fact, Belize is a shining beacon of freedom and democracy.

1. Peter Murphy
        Stop

Belize, unlike the countries around it, was settled by the British. It's not even a republic; it's one of those countries that has Elizabeth II as head of state and supports a parliamentary system. It's heritage would be closer to the Caribbean countries. Not that it would be nice to be imprisoned by them, but I'd feel safer there than in a prison in Guatemala or Honduras.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Batshit Crazy - Check

I read the posts he made on a Russian drug-themed forum, and clearly our man has driven past the last exit to sanity,

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long has he been on the run?

but still he has a years worth of blog material? Ramblings of a mad man anyone?

1. Psyx
      Thumb Up

Re: How long has he been on the run?

I dread to think. It actually sounds like reverse blackmail: "If you put me behind bars, I'll carry on blogging this sh!t!"

""I cannot believe McAfee is naive enough to carry his cell phone as a fugitive."

Not a problem, if the battery is removed. Which makes the iPhone crap for spooks, of course!

5. Mr Spigot
    Pint

"...at one stage he disguised himself as a burrito salesman and on another occasion as a drunk German tourist"

He was staggering around rural Belize in lederhosen, brandishing a stein of weissbier and blending in like a seasoned marine. If they haven't got him by now he's home free.

6. FreeTard
    Thumb Up

John Macafee - not a mentalist

Totally normal behavior. Nothing to see here, it's the rest of the world that is mental.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A reasonable approach

I'm sure the local plod would happily frame someone else for $25k <_<

8. LordHighFixer
    FAIL

lets check the list...

Expat living in Belize - check

Likely to have loads of money with nothing to do - check

Visits to drug themed forums - check

Paranoid - check

20 yo girlfriend - check

Now if we could just confirm that he is microfocusing on 100 tasks at once, losing his teeth and scratching for invisible bugs then maybe we could convince him to get help for that meth addiction.

9. redbook

If he does get charged with murder, will it be a 30 day trial?

10. swschrad
    Devil

he needs help, all right

what's the number for "first call for help" services in Belize? at this point, he needs a 473-step program.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. William Higinbotham
    FAIL

$25K seems low these days for awards of this type. Maybe he can throw in Bobby Fischer's autobiography signed by him.

I may be crazy, but I am more sane than most folks.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just Because

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that the world isn't out to get you

14. vic 4

writing a graphic novel about the anti-virus pioneer

That will be a good read then. Unless those dogs the police dug up are zombie dogs.

1. Thorne
      Thumb Up

Re: writing a graphic novel about the anti-virus pioneer

Zombie dogs will make it a better read otherwise it will be just about a loonie in lederhosen.

I can see it now, a crazy virus scientist accused of creating zombie dogs verses an evil goverment conspiracy. The hot 20 year old double agent sent to seduce him and his dramatic escape to freedom.

You could make a movie from this. A cross of the Bourne Identity + Resident Evil + Master of Disguise.

Awesome!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get out a little...

...read his blog at least. I am not bias against drug use. I understand drugs affect you - sometimes in bad and sometimes in good ways. I am quite sure that most of the blockheads reading and commenting about how McAfee is nutters are quite possibly unaware that they fit in the exact same category. After all, they also do drugs. If drugs were not involved, there would be quite a different reaction. McAfee seems to not care about his reputation. This means that he is possibly being honest.

I've lived in various countries in Latin America and Africa. Everything McAfee describes sounds spot on. The only thing I question is that if he was that rich, how did he get into such a situation. I sure would have hedged my bets a little more and "rubbed shoulders" with the right people.

There is also the smoke screen theory...

16. c4m1k4z3
    FAIL

paranoia

it's not the mdpv which causes his paranoia, it is the sleep deprevation and stimulant induced psychosis

i for one wish him the worst of luck

17. Tom 13
    Facepalm

Re: Disguises include: Man selling burritos, drunk German tourist

Are you sure that last one was a disguise?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The cure for a Blackout ..

"I today announced on NBC Television that I am offering a $25,000 reward for the capture of the person or persons responsible for Mr. Faul’s [sic] murder"

The cure for a blackout is to take the same chemical you had the last time, and it should all come back to you ... link

This topic is closed for new posts.