back to article Apple iCloud collapse forces fanbois to shower, meet face-to-face

Apple's iCloud servers conked out for roughly five hours last night, knackering online chat services iMessage and FaceTime, and iCloud storage. Affected fanboys had little access to the Cupertino cloud from 1145 to 1630 PT on Sunday, or 1945 to 0030 GMT on this side of the Pond. The service is now working, although the loss …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn
    Facepalm

Put critical/important data in the cloud?

Yessiree, lets do that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

Chat servers are hardly essential or important data. The thing with "the cloud" is that it's like any traditional outsourcing deal. If you understand what you want and pay for a service with appropriate SLAs, which have penalties on the supplier should they not be met, there isn't a problem. The problem arises when someone makes a shonky, free or advertising sponsored consumer level service, which doesn't supply a backup or the like, the cornerstone of their business.

1. Velv
        FAIL

Re: Err...

"Chat servers are hardly essential or important data."

I think you'll find most teenagers would beg to differ, and I think you'll find that was the underlying tone of the article. Of course every reasonable business wouldn't put business critical data in the cloud. But define "business", "critical" and "data".

The public has become accustomed to services which generally "just work", and they now (rightly or wrongly) rely on such services. ATMs that give out cash are another example - we expect them to work (and mostly they do), but what service agreement have we actually signed up to (answer - NONE!)

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Gimp

#appleyouareuseless but I will be your gimp on the next product launch anyway

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Still, iOS users have access to the month of December...

3. Blitterbug
    Unhappy

Holy Crap...

...spent an hour around midnight on bleeding Facebook Messenger giving tech support to a clueless customer who was convinced their iPhone was spoinked. In the end suggested a factory reset. Never occurred to me the fucking servers were down. Pretty pissed off now.

1. Silverburn
      Happy

Re: Holy Crap...

IT Support fail:

- failing to diagnose single failure source.

- trusting Apple

- trusting a user

- resorting to factory reset last. Always perform this FIRST, for every call. It discourages repeat callers.

- And your biggest, most epic fail of all...Answering the call after midnight. You muppet. :-)

1. Blitterbug
        Unhappy

Re: You muppet

Guilty as charged...

4. frank ly

Why don't they have failover ..

.. to Google Messaging in cases like this? It seems an obvious solution to me. Spread that cloudy goodness and use the redundancy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why don't they have failover ..

Which "Google Messaging" do you mean:

* Google Talk - doesn't work with phone numbers

* Google Voice SMS - works with phone numbers but not ids plus it gets it wrong sometimes.

* Google Cloud Messaging for Android - name explains it all.

iMessage already falls back to good old SMS if you're on a phone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eggs >> 1 basket

How you like all those eggs in one Apple shaped basket?

1. rvt

Re: Eggs >> 1 basket

If you put your documents in many baskes, you also need to sync them up to the many baskets each time you update a document, not a easy task to setup reliably and in such a way that opening documents works correctly transparently. If i want to use pages, or word to open a document I don't want to search all services and downloadmthe right documents version.

Sow me a method that works and I will be impressed, as far as I know it doesn't exist.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When this happened to Blackberry...

...It was all over the media and was a major blow for RIM....

1. ItsNotMe
      Devil

Re: When this happened to Blackberry...

No need to publicize this any further...because Apple products "just work". That's all.

2. Stu Pid

Re: When this happened to Blackberry...

When this happened to Blackberry it was a damn sight longer than a few hours and it RIM claim to be primarily for business.

7. JaitcH
    Thumb Down

Apple's status page stated that the downtime only affected some users,

Please define what Apple calls SOME. Ninety-nine per cent is some, so are ten users.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like