back to article Black Ops 2 takes HALF A BEELLION DOLLARS in just ONE DAY

Activision gloats that its Call of Duty franchise is again the "biggest entertainment launch of the year", after revealing a return of $500m (£316m) from day-one sales of Black Ops 2. The figures come compiled from three sources: Chart-Track, retail customer sell-through information, and internal company estimates. We're …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

maybe it will keep them off of the streets

pray that their servers stay up.

2. The Alpha Klutz

People are blood hungry

And you'll want some kind of training in armed combat when the economy that is so obviously unsustainable stops sustaining. Can you guess what happens then? Both barrels in your face motherfucker.

3. skeete
    Megaphone

I have played COD since its debut and to be honest, each game since Modern Warfare 2 seems pretty much identical with the totally bland and unbelievable "Soap" I have such a sexy Sean Connery Voice Mctavish.. YAWN!!!!! ... At least do something new for christ sake.. and to all the morons who buy this drivel. Just replay COD2 .. its exactly the same as the new one.

1. Greg J Preece

For a COD fan, you sure don't seem to be aware that Soap isn't in Black Ops...

1. Annihilator

And is dead, last I checked

2. skeete

I think you need to use the "fan" term quite loosely.

After the clusterf**k that was the release of BLOPS1 I wouldn't touch another Treyarch game if it was on sale in Walmart for $1 with some free candy thrown in. I would rather spend a night watching vids of your mum on Youtube being trained by a group of homeless dudes with hygiene issues.

1. Greg J Preece

A "your mum" retort? Really? Actually, given the age of a lot of CoD players, why am I surprised?

2. Amorous Cowherder
          Facepalm

@skeete

"vids of your mum on Youtube being trained by a group of homeless dudes"

And there you have reason I won't bother buying and playing these games, they look interesting but seem to be played by people who's IQ, shoe size and age are all the same number. I'll stick to my RPGs, might not be as exciting but at least I don't get juvenile comments about my Mum.

4. Bill Gould
    Trollface

So... it's another generic shooter then? Pass.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Impressive, but...

What were the development costs?

6. W.O.Frobozz
    Thumb Down

Bo-ring.

Yay, another stupid "reality" shooter. Man, I long for the days when things were all about how Unreal it could get. You know...rocket launchers that actually went "boom," lightning guns, Quad Damage and other far out things.

Is no one else sick of this US Military Sim crap masquerading as a game? Ooh look, a gun that shoots bullets! Or another gun that shoots bullets! And maybe a grenade! Ooh look another map that looks like a bombed out city!

Half the fun came from the MODS and the user-made MAPS.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Bo-ring.

If you don't like it, quit crying about it and buy Serious Sam or Painkiller. No-one's forcing you to play COD.

7. OrsonX
    Unhappy

Does it still have the...

..insta-migraine inducing strobe muzzle flare?

ouch.

8. Stu Pid
    FAIL

Unfair comparison

Until a single ticket to the pictures costs around 50 quid I don't think you can compare the 2.

1. Annihilator
      Meh

Re: Unfair comparison

Not to mention there have been 9 "pure" COD games to date (not including the various PSP/Vita/DS alternates).

So yes, thing that cost 5x as much and has had more releases, outsells other thing. Good news.

I reckon it cost me less to see the entire Star Wars saga at the cinema over the years than a single copy of a COD game. Heck the bluray release last year cost less the same.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unfair comparison

> Until a single ticket to the pictures costs around 50 quid I don't think you can compare the 2.

AUD $21.50 (£14) for an adult cinema ticket to see Skyfall in Melbourne, which starts to make the game look cheap.

Of course, Blops2 is $98 AUD ($108 for ps3/xbox) in GAME (that's £64) so a bit of a premium there too.

I must get getting old... I refuse to do either on the grounds of "you're having a laugh."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

To make the big bucks, you need get some crossover....

Like "Alien vs. Predator".

How about :

1. "Harry Potter and the Assassin's Creed"

2. "Star Wars: The Revenge of Count Duko Nukem"

3. "Twilight of the Guitar Hero"

10. asdf
    Trollface

Hmm

After playing CS GO non stop since it came out its going to be a b_tch to get used to ADS again when I actually get around to playing BOps 2 which I bought. That is unless news maps come out for CS GO in which case might be some time before I open the box.

11. MJI Silver badge

Am I unique?

In liking shooters but never playing a COD MW/BLOPs game

12. mraak

Is it again a liner shooter?

Just one path, not able to take different paths, no tactics, no strategy? Previous versions were like a competition how many mosquitos you can smash.

1. GrumpyJoe
      Thumb Up

Re: Is it again a liner shooter?

The campaign is still a 'little' stiff - you do have to wait in line for the NPCs to open doors occasionally etc. - but there are different paths through levels, there are choices that affect later level outcomes, airplane shoot em ups and even RTS sections that affect overall games play - and you get to customise your loadout in campaign single player.

Overall, I'm impressed with the campaign, getting used to the MP (explosive flechettes FTW), but sadly Zombies hasn't lived up to expectations (pardon the pun) - I'm a zombie nut but they've ruined it for me... To open and too far removed from previous outings (but I stopped a Kino der Toten and Five, so I may have missed developments since then).

Overall, I'm going to get solid entertainment out of this for a year or so for £38 (Rough three pounds a month!), so for me it's bargain.

13. KroSha

Useless measure

Unit sales are a better measure. If they want to talk about comparison to movies, then they need to relate players to viewers. AC3, Ubisoft's biggest ever launch, sold 3.5 million units the first week. How does this compare to that?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Value for money

I paid £32 for Fallout 3 and £35 for Skyrim, never bought any other games. I'm still playing both games regularly and usually restart new characters every 2-3 months! Add to this the £150 I paid for a basic 360 console package and I think I got pretty good value over the last 3 years!

This topic is closed for new posts.