back to article Disney plans three Lucasfilm flicks EVERY YEAR

Disney plans to recoup the $4 billion it recently spent on the Lucasfilm acquisition by producing two or three films each year. While another outing for the increasingly geriatric Indiana Jones is on the way, it's very likely Star Wars Episode VII and the two films already said to follow will merely be the first of an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain Save-a-ho
    Alien

Might be overkill

But Star Wars fans the world over will praise Disney if they don't have a repeat of the despicable Episode I.

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: Might be overkill

If they manage to do justice to the Star Wars "franchise", even "too many" films will be acceptable. Somehow I doubt it, but I have been wrong before (just look at how much better Red Dwarf X is than the last couple of series before it).

To me, the only passable Star Wars since the original trilogy has been Revenge of the Sith, and even that should have been much darker. If they continue in the style of E1-3 (which is my expectation), they will permanently ruin Star Wars. If they can dispense with the funny characters and mainstreamisation (which I doubt, as it's Disney) they will be on to a winner.

1. Pedigree-Pete
        Thumb Up

Re: Might be overkill

Agreed. Red Dwarf X worked because they went back to the small cast, low budget British Sci-Fi model that worked 1st time around. It went wrong when they spent too much on it. Smeggin' loved RDX.

2. Shaun 2

And this is bad news?

3. Michael Hawkes
    Mushroom

I have a bad feeling about this

Jar Jar Binks on Ice.

Textbooks that feature Yoda, Obi-Wan and other "wise" Jedi masters throughout.

A sitcom with a young Padawan as sidekick and comic relief who constantly gets into trouble and is frequently rescued from a predicament of his own making.

1. Bakunin
      Devil

Re: I have a bad feeling about this

Star Wars Juniors: Tweeny versions of the Skywalker kids, R2-D2, C-3PO (and for some unfathomable reason Jar Jar Binks and an Ewok) travel the galaxy in a new hip version of the Millennium Falcon solving crimes and moralising about other people lives.

"What's that C-3PO? If only Mr Vader had stayed with the traditional family unit and not fallen for the false religion of the dark side? Why I know a song about that"

"Give me a beat box R2 ....."

[I think a little piece of my childhood just died while writing this comment]

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Re: I have a bad feeling about this

As long as it doesn't include Cartman Skywalker

2. Lamont Cranston

Re: "Textbooks that feature Yoda..."

Such things already exist, and have done for some time! My son's teacher liked to incorporate Star Wars into his lessons, when practical, but was asked by the Head to stop, as the school decided that it was inappropriate to promote "War" to 6-year olds.

4. Panzerbjorn
    Thumb Up

Watered down?

Or enhanced?

Given how utterly rubbish the prequels were, they really can't do any worse, and if they get some decent writers/directors/actors on the case, it could be good...

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: Watered down?

"Given how utterly rubbish the prequels were, they really can't do any worse"

I think they can. I hope they don't, but they definitely can do worse

1. ps2os2
        Flame

Re: Watered down?

Worse?? How about Thelma and Louise do Darth ... (or Chubaka?)

5. Thecowking

Quietly hopeful

The expanded universe has a plethora of great stories that would make good movies.

The NJA series alone would probably furnish us with a new trilogy of trilogies, and the later Yuuzhan Vong books would easily do the same.

The black hole as shield idea annoyed the helll out of me though.

6. Khaptain Silver badge
    Alert

Can't imagine that success will be easy

Star wars IV, V and VI were relatively well scripted films which were at the technical forefront when they were released. We quickly identified with the actors, the humour and the desire to understand how the Universe could be saved from impending destruction.

Star wars I, II and III never seemed to hit of on any of the aformentioned points. They were simply "bland" in comparison , they felt contrived and wearying.

Disney now has to the challenge of trying to avoid falling into the same trap of Franchise Produced Efforts. The fact that they now own the rights will definately not garauntee them anything.

I truly hope that they spend more money on script writers than effects, that the actors know how to act and that the series will not become destined for the "younger" generations or try to cover up poor production/direction/storyline with the use of 3D effects .

Disney, if anyone , should have the talent available , let's hope they put it to good use .

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disney is the empire

Star Wars: revenge of the Vader

8. Synonymous Howard

Not sure this is new news ..

Because the Disney press release of two weeks ago said ...

"The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

So it only looks like their "long term plan" is getting shorter.

9. JesterMedia

Clone Wars & Lego

Between them Clone Wars and the Star Wars Lego videos (the Lego ones are only a minute or two long) have already done all of the watering down and p***-taking you could ever want.....

But, hey, maybe Willow is coming back.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clone Wars & Lego

Lego star wars is great, my sons love it! and it's not cannon, so why worry about it? its a kids version..

I would happily buy more animated star wars for my boys to watch, but more films? I am dubious...

This topic is closed for new posts.