back to article Google stats show government net spying on the rise

Google published the latest edition of its Transparency Report on Tuesday, and if there's one thing we can learn from its findings, it's that government surveillance and government interference with online services are both increasing – at a worryingly rapid rate. Twice each year, the Chocolate Factory publishes a report …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    WTF?

I am disappointed in Google ...

for even entertaining take down notices that aren't baked by a court order. I know MS works overtime and is one of the biggest users.

Google should publish the URL's of the subject takedowns so that we, the public, can be the judge of the reasonableness of these request, particularly those from the UK government.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am disappointed in Google ...

Even if you take in the fact that google searches are neither private or secure the search results are what they want you to see with plenty of google bias thrown in.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You are, of course, assuming Google publishes the full facts.

Look up the term "hiding in plain sight"..

3. Old Handle

They don't really have a choice, at least in copyright related claims. I don't know the full legal details, but to comply with the DMCA, they basically have to assume any claim is valid unless or until the other party disputes it.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

Opt Out

I think that it's plain that it is prudent to be careful when using Google services. When they consolidated their "privacy" policy, I stopped using them for web searches. Now I use services from many different companies. Too much chocolate was making me fat anyway.

1. ratfox
      Facepalm

Way to miss the point

It does not matter whether Google changed their privacy policy or not; they have to give the information to the government. The fact that Bing, Amazon or Facebook do not publish transparency reports does not mean they are not giving information to the government.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Way to miss the point

The fact that Bing, Amazon or Facebook do not publish transparency reports does not mean they are not giving information to the government

Worth noting that there are no verifications on what Google publishes either. It is quite possible that they publish one thing to detract from not talking about another.

This topic is closed for new posts.