back to article Google starts rolling out Android 4.2 to select devices

Even though the entire worldwide stock of Google's latest Nexus 4 smartphone reportedly sold out in minutes, Android fans may not have to wait for a resupply from LG's factory to get their hands on the newest version of the Chocolate Factory's mobile OS. The Nexus 4 and its cousin the Nexus 10 are the first devices to ship …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The_Regulator
    Facepalm

best way to keep users buying new phones is to not allow everyone to update their devices to the newest flavor, wait Microsoft did that and they were accused of abandoning their customers. Google does that frequently and whats the response.......*waits for the crickets to chirp*

1. KjetilS
      FAIL

The difference here is that other devices *do* get the upgrade, just not as quickly as Google branded devices.

With Microsoft, there was no such option.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fragmentation fragmentation fragmentation

Nexus S users getting burned already ouch. Flagship my ass

Sorry state of affairs when the bulk of users are on such an outdated version of the OS

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fragmentation fragmentation fragmentation

Samsung's phones are the top sellers.

2. Mark .

If you're a developer and you need Android 4 specific features, the Android 4 userbase is still massive, likely still bigger than all of iphone, and still growing quickly.

It would be a shame if the Nexus S doesn't get 4.2, though the reasons are unclear yet - whether it's just not at the moment, or if they'll skip 4.2 and wait until the next version, or if they don't have sufficient hardware requirements.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry state of affairs when the bulk of users are on such an outdated version of the OS

But, but, but, I'm told all the time that Android is totally Open Source so nobody controls it and I should really abandon any other platform such as iOS/Nokia/whatever else because they are obviously proprietary and thus evil and controlled.. And we all know anything that touches Open Source is automatically safe via an electronic form of homeopathy and evil hackers will ..

Hang on a minute.

- Only Google devices get the latest, leaving the other users in the lurch. Were they just used to generate license fees and data to feed the Google phone dev?

- The platform is controlled. If I see reports of devices being "rooted", that implies the same problem and the same solution as iOS to break it.

- There is far less quality control on Apps as far as I can see, so how is your average end user going to know what is safe? Ah, anti-virus? What, doing a Microsoft to plaster over the problems?

I think Google really must start thinking about its strategy. I would not be surprised if someone eventually creates a really Open version of an Android alike platform. If it can happen to Microsoft on Intel with Linux, I don't see why I could not happen to Google with Android compatible devices..

Meanwhile, I suspect non-fanboi iPhone users watch these shenanigans with a degree of amused detachment. I know I am. The Sony Android device I have lies abandoned in a corner..

1. Dr. Mouse

"The platform is controlled. If I see reports of devices being "rooted", that implies the same problem and the same solution as iOS to break it."

Not really. Rooting is not much different to adding stuff to your sudoers file in Linux: It allows a controlled bypass of the OS's inbuilt security mechanisms. It allows you to get at the very heart of the OS.

However even without rooting, Android still allows the user an order of magnitude greater control over their device than iOS. Want to install an app from a random (unofficial) source? No problem. Want to enable tethering on a network without an agreement with your phone manufacturer? Tick a box. In general, you just have greater control.

2. Mark .

"Only Google devices get the latest, leaving the other users in the lurch. Were they just used to generate license fees and data to feed the Google phone dev?"

No, the other manufacturers choose to build their own OS on top of Android. So they still get the latest version of the OS the moment it's released, it's just that "OS" isn't the same as basic Android, so there's no reason for the releases to be in sync with the Google releases.

If you want to run basic Android and get those releases straight away, get a Nexus device. If not, stop whining. If you're not even an Android user, stop whining.

I suspect most users don't even care - perhaps because the phones do so much already anyway, and they don't have to wait years for even basic "feature phone"-level features like copy/paste, video calling, or even apps.

"The platform is controlled. If I see reports of devices being "rooted", that implies the same problem and the same solution as iOS to break it."

That's a property of the device, not the OS, and no - Nexus devices are designed to be easily rooted, and doesn't require taking advantage of security flaws, as is required for IOS.

"There is far less quality control on Apps as far as I can see, so how is your average end user going to know what is safe? Ah, anti-virus? What, doing a Microsoft to plaster over the problems?"

I don't see this. Applications should be safe by design (i.e., the security model not allowing them to do things without permission). I don't want so-called "quality control" - I want to run what I want. Apple's "quality control" is routinely used to block anything they don't like, such as alternative browsers. As a developer, I can't stand "quality control" that in practice ends up being petty hurdles to jump, often administered by idiots.

"I would not be surprised if someone eventually creates a really Open version of an Android alike platform."

There already are open source forks of Android, e.g., Cyanogenmod. Easier to just get a Nexus device though, if you're worred about that.

If you mean open source platforms in general, there have been various Linux based OSs over the years (Maemo, Meego, Tizen).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Samsung's phones are the top sellers."

I wasn't on about top sellers. If you read what I wrote I was on about flagship devices. The Nexus range are supposed to be the raised bar device for each Android release that others aspire to beat, but sadly the last one didn't make it as far as a .2 OS release

1. Matt Piechota

Nexus S?

"I wasn't on about top sellers. If you read what I wrote I was on about flagship devices. The Nexus range are supposed to be the raised bar device for each Android release that others aspire to beat, but sadly the last one didn't make it as far as a .2 OS release."

I think you (or I) am confused, the Nexus S is two devices ago (Current: Nexus 4, Previous: Galaxy Nexus, Prior: Nexus S). The Nexus S was released with 2.3, and has been updated twice so far (4.0, 4.1). It was released 2 years ago, which coincides with most people's upgrade cycle. I don't love that cycle, of course.

I'm just hoping Verizon sees fit to push my CDMA Galaxy Nexus to 4.2 at some point. I don't need it to be right now, but I'd like at least one more upgrade. At least it's pretty easy to flash it to something else if I get really excited about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nexus S?

One of the main driving forces behind 4.1 was performance enhancements to make the phone run smoother and more responsive. Project butter I believe it was called. I can't imagine that they've added so much in such a short space of time that makes the Nexus S incapable of running 4.2

I'm sure some smart cookie out there will get 4.2 running on it as I think it seems to be more of a choice to not upgrade it rather than it not having the ability to be upgradable

4. miknik
    Go

My sadness over Nexus 4 is appeased

Flashing the trusty Galaxy Nexus with 4.2 as I type!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worth pointing out...

"According to Google's latest Android statistics, more than half of all Android devices in active use are still running version 2.3, code named "Gingerbread." Android 4.0, dubbed "Ice Cream Sandwich," has managed to edge into second place, with 25.8 per cent of the total. But Jelly Bean still only accounts for 2.7 per cent of the devices in use."

HOWEVER YOUR APPS WILL RUN ON ALL THESE PLATFORMS... TAKE NOTE MICROSOFT AND YOUR WINDOWS PHONE SHENANIGANS...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Worth pointing out...

>"According to Google's latest Android statistics, more than half of all Android devices in active use are still running version 2.3, code named "Gingerbread."

No great surprise - almost a third of Android devices bought today will be sold with 2.3 [and that portion alone amounts to twice the numbers of Apple devices which will be sold today].

Turns out consumers couldn't care less - probably because it actually makes no practical difference in terms of available apps and services.

2. Mark .

Re: Worth pointing out...

Won't wp7 software also run on wp8? Or not sure what you're referring to?

6. Badwolf

Walled Garden

So - in order to get my mitts on the latest OS, i have to purchase new hardware?????

I hate this Android Walled Garden thing

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Walled Garden

So how's the latest iOS working on your 1 year old iphone?

What, can't get it on there? Darn ...

1. Badwolf

My iPhone 4 is over 2 years old and works just fine with iOS6.1 - Thanks

Oddly enough, my 3GS is also running it - and that was released in 2009

"Darn" indeed

1. Scott 2
          FAIL

And yet my 3g won't get past 4.2.1.

Coincidentally, no apps are available for that version of iOS from the app store.

Even though the hardware is perfectly capable, Twitter, for example.

Hell, I could install iDroid and run Twitter. Slowly, I grant you, but it's there.

2. Badvok

"My iPhone 4 is over 2 years old and works just fine with iOS6.1 - Thanks"

The release strategies for the two platforms are totally different so you can't really compare like that.

Apple do release iOS versions for older devices but with some newer features disabled on all but the latest devices.

Google release Andorid versions for all devices that have the hardware to support it. Other manufacturers take the same approach and only release newer versions of their customised Android if they ascertain that it will both work and will improve the user's experience.

Apple also seem to have managed to bully the networks into submission and don't appear to need network approval for each software release, unfortunately the same does not apply to Android manufacturers, each manufacturer needs to obtain approval from all the networks in each region in which their devices are sold.

Lastly, being truly open, you can always download a custom Android ROM for your device, there are many available, and generally you'll still have access to all the apps and stuff. Unlike jail-breaking an iOS device, rooting an Android device isn't a hack or a violation of security, but it does break the manufacturers warranty terms (similar to breaking one of those stickers on some devices).

2. jonathanb Silver badge

It isn't, because I like Google Maps, not because I can't get it on there. You need to go for a 3 year old phone before you can't upgrade to the latest iOS.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, you need to buy the RIGHT hardware.

Clearly, only a total retard would safely believe that 3rd party manufacturers selling phones through contract via networks that want to customise the OS with their branding, would be able to deliver the latest Android OS versions on time.

If you had bought a Google device that's network agnostic, then you don't have to worry about this.

My Nexus 7 is now rocking Android 4.2, got an OTA update this morning. 1 day after it was released....

Oh, and your ios 6.1 isn't really ios6.1. Apple play games, they only have to support a handful of devices, and can rip features out willynilly and still CALL it 6.1 on all their devices... Congratulations for being taken for a mug, your parents must be so proud.

1. Badwolf

So contract free HTC Desire HD and a HTC Wildfire's are the WRONG kit?

PS - Love the name calling behind the AC alias - you prick

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

"If you had bought a Google device that's network agnostic..."

"then you don't have to worry about this."

Bullshit. I've got a Google device that is younger than that of Apple's oldest supported device that's running the latest version of iOS.

"Oh, and your ios 6.1 isn't really ios6.1. Apple play games, they only have to support a handful of devices, and can rip features out willynilly and still CALL it 6.1 on all their devices... Congratulations for being taken for a mug, your parents must be so proud."

How is that any different to this situation numbnuts?! Project Butter is a waste of time on my Nexus S. If anything performance has gotten worse, along with the battery life.

1. Mark .

Re: "If you had bought a Google device that's network agnostic..."

"How is that any different to this situation numbnuts?!"

Yes exactly, it's not any different - Apple isn't any better than Android (or MS for that matter) in providing to older phones, they just mislead people with the version numbers, where other platforms are clear and honest.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: "If you had bought a Google device that's network agnostic..."

My god but you are soporific. You've added nothing of value by coming on here and spouting you same old trite "Apple stole my sweets" vitriol which still doesn't change the fact that Apple are supporting a phone that is 18 months older than the Nexus S, which as this article points out, isn't supported by Google. Doesn't matter how you want to spin it, this is worse than Apple. So next time you spout you usual bollocks about sheep/fanbois buying the latest shiny being abused by Apple, remember that it's Google and their OEM that expect you to buy a phone every year, and at best will drop support for a phone after 2 years. Apple got a rightful shoeing over the 3G, so Google and their partners deserve one over this. It's unacceptable. No, cyanogenmod is not a fucking solution.

Some features (like security updates) are better than fuck all, which as a Google customer (I use a Nexus S, I say use - if it manages to hold it's charge for more than a day it's a fucking miracle) is exactly what I'm getting.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you had bought a Google device that's network agnostic..."

Then you'd be no better off than being on the Apple treadmill. Instead of being tied to the latest iPhone / iOS & iTunes you'd be tied to the latest Nexus phone / Android & Playstore...

You can't use the logic that to get the best Android experience buy a Google device because then you are tied to their latest two tablets and their latest phone

3. SkippyBing

In shock news the latest version of Android is available on Google's devices first before eventually rolling out to other manufacturers. Unlike iOS where Apple provided the update for my HTC at the same time as their own phones...

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. MaxHertz
    Thumb Up

Nexus 7 on 4.2

My Nexus 7 has just successfully updated itself to 4.2.

Unfortunately, using camera launcher, trying the Photo Sphere panorama with the front camera crashes.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Nexus 7 on 4.2

Almost certainly the app misbehaving rather than a problem with the OS.

9. mrmond

Wish I hadn't

Got my OTA for my Nexus 7 this morning and went ahead.

The Clock is awful, before it showed whatever background image was in use and looked great as a clock when not in use,now it's plain black with 2 different fonts for the hour and minutes.

The other users feature is good,BUT other users don't have access to apps already installed and need a google account to use the tablet properly.

On the lock screen,the "extra" widgets are limited to calendar and email. You can't use other widgets that have been installed.

The only thing I really like is the new android keyboard.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Wish I hadn't

So in summary:

* You don't like the font on the clock

* There aren't enough lockscreen widgets for an OS that was released last night..

1. mrmond

No it's that the update had made the clock look worse than it already did, and the majority of people waiting for multi user support expected that all users would be able to access apps already installed but with their own settings.

Who wants to install the same game over and over for each user to play on their own login ?

Other than that I'm just griping.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

"the majority of people waiting for multi user support expected that all users would be able to access apps already installed but with their own settings."

Errm, that's a very flawed assumption. Google (and Apple) apps are ALWAYS tied to store accounts. What made you think Google were about to violate this arrangement?

The upside of course, is because it's tied to accounts. Any device you logon to, has all your apps for use.....

2. Ian Yates

"other users don't have access to apps already installed and need a google account to use the tablet properly"

While I haven't actually used it, this review specifically states that users don't need a Google account, assuming they don't want to do things like use the Play store: http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/21327/android-42-multiuser-support

Seems sensible to me, since you can set up an android device without one, if you so choose.

Also, "If one user goes into the Play Store and installs an app that another user has already downloaded onto the tablet, Android will "install" the app for the user -- basically making it available to her -- but won't actually redownload it".

I agree that it would make more sense to have a list of available apps that you can show/hide, but at least it isn't downloading dupes.

Though, how would you do this if you didn't associate a Google account?

I'm looking forward to putting this on my Transformer: the idea of an open "Games" account for guests is great.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Clock

The clock never looked better than it did in the Gingerbread release.... hey maybe that's why over half the Android devices out there run it?

11. Tony Paulazzo

>Oh, and your ios 6.1 isn't really ios6.1. Apple play games, they only have to support a handful of devices, and can rip features out willynilly and still CALL it 6.1 on all their devices... <

Tru dat!

>Got my OTA for my Nexus 7... ...The Clock is awful<

Playstore / analog clock selection, freeby clock faces, some really nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

By the same token, Project Butter should be renamed Project Solve Fuck All Unless You've Got The Absolute Latest Nexus Device. Granted it's ot as catchy, but it's certainly more accurate. Fandroids...

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Again, your fault for not buying a Nexus

Do you think it would be any different if Apple let HTC, Samsung, Sony make iOS based devices? Of course not. Apple devices would get the update first, like you know, those Google Nexus devices...

FAIL for not understanding that this is NOTHING to do with Android, and EVERYTHING to do with poorly managed update schedules by 3rd party manufacturers, and networks wanting to be involved in things.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Windows

Re: Again, your fault for not buying a Nexus

No Barry.

"Do you think it would be any different if Apple let HTC, Samsung, Sony make iOS based devices? Of course not. Apple devices would get the update first, like you know, those Google Nexus devices..."

Your assumption is based on what exactly? It's entirely hypothetical and has absolutely no baring on this discussion.

"FAIL for not understanding that this is NOTHING to do with Android, and EVERYTHING to do with poorly managed update schedules by 3rd party manufacturers, and networks wanting to be involved in things."

So you are saying that Google decision not to upgrade the Nexus S is my carriers and Samsung's fault? I'm sorry to burst your "Google can do no wrong" bubble, but I purchased the phone from them, they are the arbiters of the Nexus brand, therefore it has everything to do with Google you nit. It must be because you are a apolistic fanboy as I can't believe you are that stupid.

Chaps, we desperately need a googloid/fandroid icon. Actually, the windows user one would be more apt...

12. simonmcqueen

The Nexus 7 update to 4.2 appears to break the iPlayer

... or at least the new fangled BBC Media Player that is now required to play any content seems to have been removed/won't install from the Play store.

http://simonmcqueen.posterous.com/after-last-nights-update-to-android-42-on-the

Aunty's not having a good month.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like