back to article Intel uncloaks 'highest performance' desktop processor

Intel has released what it calls its "highest performance Extreme Edition processor," along with a new "Extreme Series Intel Desktop Board" into which to plop it. "Unlock and Unleash with Extreme Confidence," the company says in its announcement of the new enthusiast products, which include a "full complement of controls …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

Awww, it's lead free

Now where am I supposed to get my recommended dose of lead from?

(Seriously there is barely any factory around where you can _still_ produce with lead)

2. alferret

gotta love lead :/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

getting there

it's not the cores anymore; it's the ram.64gig is good. 512gig is where we need to be.

getting there though.

4. banjomike
    Thumb Up

Dual Gigabit Ethernet ...

... nice, maybe we can do load balancing.

5. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Desktop processor is the dead?

Dear intel,

It is wonderful you have a great, super-duper desktop processor especially when the real world is looking for super-duper server side processors and/or/exclusive-or(?) mobile processors.

And the flavoursome fashion of the moment seems to be ... (not intel?) but an exothermic desktop processor might help offset heating costs in the office no?

1. K
      Devil

Re: might help offset heating costs in the office no?

I used to have a Dell Workstation with 2xQC Xeons and 15k SAS drives in my Bedroom... I never had to switch my heating on again!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: might help offset heating costs in the office no?

How on Earth did you sleep with the fans on that?

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: Desktop processor is the dead?

There are still gamers around, but never seen the point of buying the high end, as you pay that premium repeatedly to keep pace with change.

If you're making money from your computer then that's a different thing.

3. MacroRodent

Desktop processor is for creators

How do you edit and compress HD video fluently? You need serious CPU for that. And having it on desktop instead of server is better because then you can display the imagery without dragging it through the ethernet.

I could also imagine scientists and engineers finding good use for super-duper desktop CPU.

6. Random K
    Flame

Nooooooo

This seems ominously like evidence that there will be no Ivy-E for the LGA 2011 socket. Come on Intel, I NEED that 8 core (22nm) part! Ok, not really need per-say, but many enthusiasts bought into the 2011 socket anticipating such a part. A minor clock speed bump is not going to cut it. If Haswell comes out with no Ivy-E counterpart then 90% of X79 owners are going to feel like they've been shafted by Intel. I also see that "official" PCIe 3.0 support is still lacking (though it already works fine "unofficially" if your mobo vendor has been kind enough to enable the feature). I guess this is the price we pay for AMDs total lack of a competing product in this space. I can only pray that they get it together...

1. P. Lee
      Black Helicopters

Re: Nooooooo

Intel are waiting for AMD before "upgrading" the core count. No point pushing the state of the art too fast or they'll have to think up something new. Feature/performance bumps at the top end tend to push prices down at the bottom end.

The last thing Intel want is someone popping desktop parts into servers and an 8 core desktop might look a little tempting.

2. Chris 244
      Go

BSN has an Intel roadmap slide showing Ivy Bridge-E i7-4900 series for LGA 2011 socket launching Q3'13. Includes PCIe 3.0 support.

3. EvilGav 1
      Thumb Up

Haswell due late Q1/early Q2 2013 (running on the new LGA1150 boards), Ivy-E is due Q3 2013 (expected to be running on X79 LGA2011 boards).

Problem is no-one is really experiencing CPU as a bottle-neck since C2Q came out 4 or 5 years ago and memory is hardly a problem anymore with how cheap it has got (16GB for ~£40).

7. mr. deadlift
    Trollface

remeber when

Intel said the 10gig processor was "just around the corner" or something to that effect?

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/intel-predicts-10ghz-chips-by-2011-20000726/

and where the hell is my hovercraft?

in other news my Q6600 8gig ram rig runs BF3 just fine.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: remeber when

and where the hell is my hovercraft?

Give 'em a chance, they're chucking the eels out as fast as they can catch the slippery little blighters.

8. Chris 244
    FAIL

i7-3970X

FYI, the i7-3960X launched Q4'11 (http://ark.intel.com/products/63696). The current launch is in fact for the i7-3970X, specs are 3.5 GHz with "max turbo" 4.0 GHz and an increase in TDP to 150W (from the i7-3960X TDP of 130W).

Before you flame "haven't you seen the Send Corrections link at the bottom of the article" yes I have and yes I did and no the Reg hasn't issued a correction.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm so glad they haven't done away with SATA 2 for us people that like a slower hard drive

10. Brian Miller 1

In depth review already available

They have its speeds and feeds, benches etc at toms hardware...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3970x-sandy-bridge-e-benchmark,3348.html

11. BigBruce
    Alert

i7-3920XM?

The fastest laptop processor is the i7-3940XM 3Ghz standard thatt goes to 3.9Ghz on boost.

I have one here on my dell M6700.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My 3930K and 32GB from December last year are still flying through things thanks. A large render in a few minutes that used to take a good hour or so on my previous C2D build.

And .wav to .mp3 LAME encoding in less than a second for your average 3 to 4 minute song...! Shame the CD rip itself still takes a few minutes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like