back to article Submarine cable outage hits Kiwi internet

An 'catastrophic failure' of the Southern Cross Cable, a network of cables linking Australia to New Zealand, the USA and other south pacific nations, has re-ignited pressure on the New Zealand government to support investment in international cable capacity. According to a leaked email referencing Southern Cross’s customer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. veti Silver badge
    Trollface

YHBT

So... in the middle of the night, there wasa partial outage affecting a few customers. This is a 'catastrophic failure' how exactly? For my part, I was at work (in Auckland) by 7:30 that morning, opening VPNs to Australia and the USA, and noticed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

Curran and Dotcom are both publicity whores - they'd swear to deliver the first Kiwi on Mercury if they thought it would win them a few headlines. Dotcom, in particular, has not promised he'll invest any money that he's actually got - instead, he's offering the millions that he's going to make by suing Hollywood for ruining Megaupload. I, for one, am not holding my breath for that.

2. Raphael

Didn't affect us on the otherside of the Firth either.

Curran is probably just wanting to distract the MMS from the coup going on at the Labour Conference this week,

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blew up?

"Southern Cross Cable conceded that an outage did occur on Friday morning but claimed that its description as a catastrophic failure was “misleading and inaccurate.” - Besides, those workers left with a single arm or leg will get used to hobbling about. (I might have added that last bit)

4. BozNZ

lack of comments

..explained by lack of internet

5. elderlybloke
    Facepalm

Nothing will happen

until as it will when only one link or way exists, serious/tolal failure happens.

Then as usual tolal panic will happen and politicians and other "experts" will blame everyone else for the disaster.

The real experts will not become involved in recovery until the bungling Beurocrats escalate the problem to extreme.

A notable case - The Russian Submarine KURST.

This topic is closed for new posts.