back to article China's IP boss says West distorts piracy problem

China’s IP boss has hit out at ‘unfair’ Western media reports criticising the country’s record on intellectual property rights and piracy, claiming that foreign tech companies wouldn’t build their kit in the PRC if the problem was as bad as it is portrayed to be. State Intellectual Property Office chief, Tian Lipu, admitted to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ossi

I work with Chinese all the time, and there is a cultural attitude that you don't pay for MP3s or films, for example. This attitude persists even amongst wealthy Chinese, who can afford to pay. The Government enjoys a large degree of trust amongst the people, and if the Chinese government truly wanted to tackle this issue, then they could change those attitudes.

1. Not Fred31
      Thumb Down

Of course,...

... as we in the West are always right, it goes without saying that it is "their" attitude that needs to change.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I grew up in the UK and I can tell you first hand there was a culture that you didn't pay for music or movies - you borrowed a mates CD and ripped that, watched moves around your friends... and so on.

Even amongst the middle classes who were earning, many of them used to buy their VHS tapes from Nigel down at the market who could sell them a box office movie for less than the price of a cinema ticket.

2. Nick Kew

Having been infected with the anti-chinese propaganda, I wondered about this when I first heard of a chinese translation of my book.

Turned out the publisher was legitimate, and working with my publisher. The translator was very polite. The royalties arrived a few months later. A good experience.

3. Steven Roper
    Pirate

I find China's attitude a refreshing balance

to the culture of rentism that unfortunately has prevailed in the West. The erosion of right of first sale, the mentality of "it's not yours even though you paid for it", the avaricious principles of pay-per-view and pay-per-listen, the inherent idiocy of DRM, the destruction of the public domain, the pathetic squabbles over who is allowed to make rectangular objects, and the ridiculously ever-extending terms of copyright, have reached levels of stupidity that seriously need counteracting, and it's going to take a major power like China to do it.

Vive la difference, I say!

4. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Baby / Bathwater Ejection Situation

"The erosion of right of first sale, the mentality of "it's not yours even though you paid for it", the avaricious principles of pay-per-view and pay-per-listen, the inherent idiocy of DRM, the destruction of the public domain"

There's a big difference between the concept of Intellectual Property, and the implementation of Intellectual Property legislation. Conflating the two is part of the problem, not the solution.

The problem is not that IP exists at all, but that the existing legal frameworks for IP are obsolete and urgently require a serious refactoring and UI clean-up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like