back to article 2.5 million trades a DAY: How ISE admins became Puppet masters

The International Securities Exchange (ISE) has just completed the first phase of a Puppet Enterprise deployment. Their approach and the lessons they have learned are a teaching tool for all of us. Even in the cases where two organisations seek to accomplish the same task with the same product, the rationale and methodology can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

This advertisement was brought to you today by....

2. James 47
    Meh

Puppet

Stupid name ( like most software products ) and still no real idea what this article was all about

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Puppet

It was about computers and stuff, you know, the big grey boxes under the desk that the smelly people fix for you. No, I don't know why you're here either

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No real idea what this article was all about?

Puppet Enterprise is IT automation software that updates and configures Windows, Macs or Linux boxes, either real installations or virtual-machines in the Cloud.

--

They also refer to something called 'Oracle Linux' on their download page, shouldn't that be Red Hat Linux?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No real idea what this article was all about?

No, it shouldn't. That's what RHEL on the same page refers to. Oracle Linux exists.

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/linux/overview/index.html

1. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

Re: No real idea what this article was all about?

"In order to produce Oracle Linux from RHEL, source trademarks and logos have been removed from a small number of packages" link

3. Captain Underpants
    Thumb Up

I must take more of a look at Puppet - it sounds like an interesting competitor for KACE (which, to be fair, I use in work but haven't yet learned enough about to fully use). I'd certainly be interested in reading an in-depth comparison of the two (preferably by someone who's used both in production environments, but failing that a pre-purchase in-depth technical evaluation would suffice...)

4. Christian Berger

That's 28.9 transactions per day

Supposing there are 1000-fold peaks, that's still far less work than what a 40 Eur Bluray player needs to do in order to decode HDTV.

1. Slumberthud

Re: That's 28.9 transactions per day

Er, no, that would be 28.9 transactions per second.

1. Christian Berger
        Facepalm

Re: That's 28.9 transactions per day

True, that's what I meant. I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. It's of course 28.9 transactions per second.

But I still stand by my point that this is far less than what a BluRay Player or HDTV satellite receiver needs to do. So if one needs massive servers for this. It's probably not been implemented in the most efficient way. (No I do not claim that the most efficient way is always the best one, but sometimes it's just good to think of the gulf between what could be done, and how it is done.)

1. Bent Outta Shape
          Headmaster

Re: That's 28.9 *trades* per second

I agree with you on the apparent inefficiency; "Implemented in hardware", meet "coded in software". But there's more to it than that.

The traffic is far, far more bursty than a nice "average over a day", and there are approx 100 quotes that get cancelled for every actual trade - think peaks of 500,000 msgs/sec averaged over 1 second.

The ISE will kit out enough servers to comfortably handle what they feel is the peak market rate, and then some headroom. Really rather a lot of headroom. Throw in the hot-standbys, test environments and so on. Lots of machines to configure, and a pain to upgrade and/or rollback - and so back to Puppet.

5. Robert Brockway
    Linux

I don't have an attachment to "preferred vendors", their ecosystems, ISVs and consultants and I've spent a career trying to convince others not to either. I have this weird idea about using the best tool for the job. Yes I use Puppet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like