back to article Bangor University touts 20 Gbps access tech

A UK university is claiming front-runner status in the development of next-generation optical access networks using optical OFDM (orthogonal frequency division multiplexing) technology. In a blow for clueless commentators that describe optical networks as obsolete (in Australia, News Limited’s Andrew Bolt is one such anti- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent!

This is excellent news. Especially from my old university. :-)

1. Robin

Re: Excellent!

Same here. It's good to know there's people doing quality work there, instead of spending all day in the pub <ahem>.

1. Vulch
        Coat

When you've got horizontal rain and pubs like the Tap & Spile, why not spend all day there? Must see if the Dean Street chippie is still as good on my next visit...

On an unrelated note, apart from the Engineering Department being visible at the right of the Camera 1 view, big hole in Bangor where the Student Union used to be...

http://www.pontio.co.uk/timeline/webcam.php.en

(Do not want to be without coat in Bangor)

1. Robin

An ever-decreasing group of us go back every year since graduating in 99.

Tap and Spile still good.

Dean St. chippy reasonable, but surely you mean Valla's around the corner on the high street? Award winning chips, with quality service!

Yep, there's a massive hole where the SU was. Much more noticeable when you're stood right there!

1. Vulch

Youngster!

Stage Crew reunion, last Saturday of January since about 1984.

Dean Street used to have an upstairs restaurant and was handy for coming out of Eng at 1, grabbing a portion of chips which would last you nicely till you got to the Union for a swift libation before the practical started at 2.

2. david 12 Silver badge

Obsolete

Ok, so Bolt is wrong. Kit installed now won't be obsolete, because in 2 years we will have to replace all the line cards.

Which part of 'obsolete' did I fail to understand?

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Obsolete

Which part of 'obsolete' did I fail to understand?

That it's not the fibre medium that's obsolete.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Plus replacing the line cards is several orders of magnitude cheaper than replacing all the fibre that is burried underground.

The OP must have had a 'Homer Simpson' moment when positng.

3. Hutsy

You failed to understand that the majority of the cost to roll out the NBN is installing the fibre cables to every house. Once the fibre is in place upgrading the line cards is a negligable cost and will be paid for by subscriber fees. If you look at any decent telco they already practice this procedure (going from dial-up equipment to ADSL to ADSL2 to ADSL2+ back end equipment and many ittereation in between). The limiting part of the network is now the copper cable which needs to be upgraded to fibre.

3. Pen-y-gors

But of course

...this does rather rely on having the fibre there in the first place. Come on BT...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bangor

Is a crap University. lol at Welsh people needing access to the internets.

5. Hope Spirals
    Flame

Copper Cable... I wish

I'll try to keep this short...

May - Internet connection running at a very low speed - hmm why?

7 months later accumulated knowledge from ISP (Zen - damn helpful, BT engineers mostly good, BT itself FU)

Connection to exchange consists of multiple sections of cable, on poles and underground. Cables are both Al and Cu. Al? yup, I've seen the cable maps (thanks BT eng.) with annotations. These cables laid at least 20 years ago, some older than that. Cable is begining to break down with multiple faults (thanks BT eng.) and should be replaced. Will be replaced (thanks Zen). Nope won't be replaced (FU BT).

Want a bigger laugh. Connection Loop Attn goes from 51db to 60+, connection drops. Router tries to re-connect, connection still bad, so connection established at 150Kb (yup less than an old modem).

Punchline alert: Exchange is not optical, Exchange is not 21cn - Exchange is 20cn so takes 72hours to do a retrain before connection can be reset - during which connection drops again.

BT have refused point blank to do anything about this.

My ISP can't force them - because the rate of drops averages less than one per day (where did that metric come from - I've been cc'd the mail from BT)

Fibre, you were lucky.

6. Martin Budden Silver badge

Not necessarily clueless.

Could be willfully misleading (i.e. lying) due to political agenda.

You decide which is worse.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like