back to article Brussels looks set to OK Apple e-book collusion deal, sources say

Brussels officials have reportedly indicated that a settlement deal proposed by Apple and four of the publishers in Europe's competition probe into ebooks price-fixing with be accepted by the Commission. According to Reuters, which cites two unnamed sources, an offer from Macmillan, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess the comission figured out that much of Europe still operates their book market under Lang Law and similar fixed price books systems.

How could they go against the same thing?

2. El_Fev
    FAIL

And in the background, amazon laughs.....

And prepares the vaseline to screw the publishers even more... when you end up with only 50 shades of grey and teen romance books being offered in those few remaining books shops standing. and anything not mainstream not found even on the net , becuase the authors can't make any moneybecuase of amazons daily discount , you will know why.

In this case cartels was working for our benefit not against!

3. sleepy

I prefer the agency model too

In the Internet economy, authors can sell direct to readers, setting their own price. It's the author/publisher buying marketing and fulfillment service from Apple or Amazon, not Apple or Amazon buying and reselling physical goods.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: I prefer the agency model too

There is nothing wrong with agency model as long as publisher is not enforcing minimum price for everyone, thus preventing competition on price. But that is exactly what publishers did, in preferred nation clause with Apple.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like