back to article Tiny Ubi Android machine pre-orders open

A Canadian company has announced that it’s taking pre-orders for a voice-activated Android computer funded on Kickstarter. If Unified Computer Intelligence has succeeded in getting what it wanted out of its Ubi, the wall outlet plug-in computer will take instructions – including (for example) “how many teaspoons per ounce?” – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain DaFt

Sweet, if it works

But every trekkie alive will buy one if they change the activation word from "Ubi" to "Computer".

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Sweet, if it works

.. or "Hal" .. :)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$219? crikey, a RasPi could do everything this does for under $100.

1. K
      Trollface

They are probably adding their own software stack onto this, which unfortunately does not write itself... unless your volunteering to code for free :D

3. Neil 7
    WTF?

7 watts for LEDs and WiFi?

Crikey, how many LEDs does it have?! I'm guessing it must be hundreds...

1. Esskay
      Coat

Re: 7 watts for LEDs and WiFi?

One big red one in the centre. It'll do anything you want - just don't ask it to open any doors...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a lot of the cost must be for the software, because the hardware certainly isn't anything worth even half of $219.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open the garage doors, Ubi.

Ubi: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

1. Benjamin 4

"I'm sorry, the term cargo bay doors does not appear to be in my mexican."

6. James Anderson

humans dont like talking to machines

There is probably a psychology phd in there somewhere. I certainly cannot explain it but people feel deep levels of discomfort talking to machines.

1. Pet Peeve

What people?

Says who? The only discomfort in talking to machines these days is that they're too stupid to understand half the time.

1. Paul Webb

Re: What people?

'The only discomfort in talking to people these days is that they're too stupid to understand half the time.'

2. Khaptain Silver badge
        Headmaster

Sorry to annonce this but machines do not possess intelligence, they merely possess small quantities of logic.

If the logic is not complete enough to understand your vocal commands then blame the programmer not the machine.

It really is very important to understand the difference......

1. Pet Peeve
          WTF?

@Khaptain: Way to pick your battles, Captain Pedantic.

2. cortland

Turing California this Spring!

2. Cliff

Re: humans dont like talking to machines

My Mrs gets freaked out when I ask my phone what the weather will be and it talks back to me. Hence a feature I was ambivalent about is my new favorite toy

3. peyton?
      Happy

Re: humans dont like talking to machines

Oi! You saying coders aren't human??

I $#@$! cuss my machine all the time when coding.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No way in Hell..

.. will I install a device in my house which exports everything it hears to yonder.

Nice try, though.

1. solidsoup
      Facepalm

Re: No way in Hell..

So your computer has no mic? Also, be wary of those phones kids these days have.

8. Medical Cynic

Orac

Never mind the trekkies - Blake's Seven rules!

1. Benchops

Re: Orac

<Confirmed>

sorry, that was Zen

9. Infidellic_

No issues with the name?

Anyone else thinking Ubisoft might have something to say about the name? After all www.ubi.com is Ubisoft's website

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No issues with the name?

Hey, maybe this device will stop working whenever it can't reach the DRM servers..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or, it could be your own android home-spy

spying on you and your dear ones. Click here to crowd-fund, and here to buy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: or, it could be your own android home-spy

There's an invention that might interest you, called the "phone". You can already pick up free software for Android that lets you turn on the mic remotely, and other things.

This topic is closed for new posts.