back to article Windows Phone 8: Everything you need to know at a glance

There used to be a popular saying in the industry: "Microsoft doesn't get it right until version 3.0." I say used to because you don't hear it very much any more. It was arguably true of Windows, which first hit its stride with version 3.0, but not for much else. The Xbox sold from the first incarnation. Windows CE passed the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Meh

If it was on colour, I'd buy the purple one. It isn't so I won't.

1. N13L5
      FAIL

We should vote with our wallets against corporate controlled single source app stores

If you want to be patronized like children and told what to do and what not to do with your devices, its still better to buy Apple than Microsoft.

But I think buying either will eventually land us in a corporate landscape where our mobile devices are treated like Sony's playstation: If you install an alternate OS or software on them, you get sued, cause you had to sign a lengthy agreement nobody reads, that forbids you to do anything that would circumvent all the toll booths they are planning to surround you with.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft needs to bring out an upgrade sooner rather than later - say early Q2 - to keep up the pace"..with iOS which is just shite!

1. Toothpick
      Mushroom

Here's Obviously!......

... posting in articles he has no interest in except to slag thing off.

Why not try posting some constructive comments? Or even better just fuck off

1. Ragarath
        Facepalm

Re: Here's Obviously!......

<blockquote>. posting in articles he has no interest in except to slag thing off.

Why not try posting some constructive comments? Or even better just fuck off</blockquote>

Just to be a pedant, you have posted to tell some one they posted to an article they had no interest in yet did the same thing yourself. You then proceeded to do the same by slagging off the poster. You did not mention anything about the article except the article itself.

I will be considering W8 soon, it may get me away from Android for the first time in years as I feel that WP8 has solved a few issues that stopped me getting WP7.

3. IJC
    Alert

A Positive Review?

Shocking - nice things said about MS. What is the world coming to? Oh yes, I know, it's about to end!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Positive Review?

You may be right, not only has WP8 been getting positive reviews but mainstream media have finally been publishing negative articles about Apple. That was almost unheard of just a few months ago.

Surely the end is nigh.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Surely the end is nigh.

Not only that, but MS have gone back, rewritten and polished the OS, rather than try and introduce new 'features' and ways of working. Finally they've got the right idea. Cats and dogs living together etc.

2. Manu T

The only reason why they are talking nice about WP is because it locks you even tighter to telco's. You need a cloud account to do ANYTHING on these devices. Apple is a bit less restrictive in even setting up your device. The telco's see money because with everything you do, you need to go online...

The only advantage is that (when going for a Nokia device) that, at least, it doesn't require internet access when using it as a car navigation tool (unlike Google or Apple's offering). Otherwise it would just be the extreme milk-cow device for punters. Ripp off the folks, in the name of the cloud!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Isn't it MS and Apple that get the money, not the telecos? Nokia went through torturous backflips to take into account operators' concerns, originally restricting OTA updates and the shop to the network instead of wifi and their agreements over operator billing.

Apple just drove a steamroller through all that and MS just copied Apple. If anything they bypass the telecos and just use them as a bit pipe when the user doesn't have wifi access.

2. James Loughner
      Devil

Couldn’t have something to do with the 1.5 billion MS is spending on advertizing? Might not get a taste of that if you had a bad review.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: A Positive Review?

"Might not get a taste of that if you had a bad review."

After all we've said about Windows 8? ;-)

C.

4. EddieD

Sounds great.

I have a Lumia 800, and, yes, like the other 6, I'm feeling grumpy.

Fortunately, I don't upgrade until July next year, so I'll see if I'm going to be hit by a bait and switch again.

I do like a lot of WP7.5, and I'd like to go on, but, I don't want to be screwed over again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WP 7.5 users aren't missing out much

I, too, have a Lumia 800, but after WP8 has finally launched I feel a lot less grumpy than before. Considering all the secrecy, I had expected something a bit more spectacular than what essentially (to the user) are generally minor improvements. Yes, I know, there's now the unified W8 kernel which is great, but for an user that's as exciting as reading the Android source code. Now WP8 has Opera Mobile-like web traffic compression (I guess the Yanks with their low data caps on their expensive contracts really need that, personally with unlimited data at £15 a month I can't care less), a kid's corner (which still doesn't prevent your new £600 phone from being dropped or physically abused by children), some rooms, limited Bluetooth transfer and Xbox Music (and both BT transfers and XB Music will come to WP 7.5 devices with the WP8 update anyways). We still haven't got a better browser interface with sane tab handling, or the capability to download and save locally any type of file (i.e. iso files). Oh, WP8 also come with a USB Storage mode, but it also got rid of Zune (which at least made Media transfers very easy and comfortable) and replaced it with some uncomfortable and inflexible sync utilities.

WP 8 is also said to be blazingly fast, but on the other side WP 7.5 is already completely fluent (much more than Android or iOS), even with just one core, so I can't see how much better it can be.

I'm sure I will eventually go for a WP 8 device, but not in the near future. There just aren't any compelling reasons to upgrade from my Lumia 800 at the moment. Maybe a year down the line this will be different.

1. The_Regulator

Re: WP 7.5 users aren't missing out much

So wait drag and drop to a folder for syncing is too difficult? I heard you can do that with wp8 do not have hands on experience yet though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So wait drag and drop to a folder for syncing is too difficult

Yeah, well, it's not 1998 any more, and not everyone wants to have to manually fiddle around with folders if applications like Zune can manage TBs of videos and music and sync the titles one wants by the click of a button even if the phone is not connected to the computer (Zune can do sync over WiFi, another thing that got lost in WP8).

It's certainly great to have the option to access folders directly in WP8. It's not great when comfortable functionality has been removed.

2. The_Regulator

Re: Sounds great.

Pretty sure the OS Kernel is gonna be the same for a while now so I think you will be all good with upgrades over the next couple of years. WP7.5 is nice, I am still using my samsung focus and still enjoy it's simplicity.

There are a few games/apps I would like every now and again that are not available but all in all I have really not had problems doing everything I wanted to on this phone.

Who knows, maybe MS will have a Surface Phone by the time you upgrade!!

1. Chris 171

Re: Sounds great.

Orange told me earlier the 920 will be available from them mid Nov.

If true, then Win Pho me up.

5. Big_Ted

Think you missed something

http://www.mobot.net/microsoft-admits-windows-phone-8-notification-centre-finished-time-49730

[QUOTE]One thing Windows Phone 8 early adopters may already be noticing about Microsoft's new operating system is that unlike Android and iOS, there's no notification centre.

Well turns out it's not a deliberate omission. It was meant to have one – Microsoft just didn't get it finished in time.

Let's face it: it's virtually unheard of for any great endeavour – be it Windows Phone 8, the Olympic Stadium or the lifesaving kebab you'll be scarfing down while staggering home later this evening – to arrive ahead of schedule. It's just how these things go.....................................[/QUOTE]

6. Falmari Silver badge

Windows phone 8 looks good and I was looking forward to getting the Nokia 920 to replace my current windows phone.

But it seems like Nokia are not interested in selling many phones.

Locking the 920 to a single network (EE) even if you buy it sim free will surely dent sales.

I for one will not buy it if I have to be locked to a network.

So I will hold off on the purchase of a new windows phone for now.

1. Andy Hards
      Stop

I thought you could..

..pick 3G if you wanted rather than only 4G. I was planning n doing just this. Will wait till it comes out to see cos I'm not going EE for anyone!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

WP8 looks and operates more-or-less like WP7 only it's got a honking great NT kernel in there, I'm at a loss to see how this is a great improvement. If you're tasked with selling phones, how are you going to sell that to customers who have already been ignoring WP7 in droves?

7. David Webb

Battery Life

Like EddieD I have a Lumia 800 and have no issues with battery life, in fairness I do have a Vodafone Sure Signal so it's not really going to be expending a lot of effort trying to find a base station but the battery does last several days.

8. Jemma

I would hate to say I told you so...

But... Guess what...

9. Chris 171

Tethering

As in infrastructure mode?

The only failing of my N8 is it will only do ad hoc.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of the box...

Lumia 800 with WP 7.5 is miles ahead of the competition. Lumia with WP 8.0, there is no competition.

And that's just just the software.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

Re: Out of the box...

Correct.

Market share for both is indistinguishable from floor noise, so if you can't measure it you can't say what the competition level is.

1. Bob Vistakin
        Happy

(Taking the unprecedented step of replying to myself)

Speaking of market share, here we see Android 75%, and iOS on 14.9%, so microsoft are welcome to whatever dregs blackberry etc leave them from the remaining 10%:

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/android-takes-75-per-cent-smartphone-market-share-in-q3/019760

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bob - Do you really equate populatiry with quality?

As something to think about: The Sun is the most popular daily newspaper in the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Exactly right, look at the music charts.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Lumia 800 with WP 7.5 is miles ahead of the competition."

No it isn't. Even Nokia's own Symbian is vastly superior on many fronts than this handicapped, dememented monstrosity.

- no proper multitasking

- no full 2-way call recording

- no file manager

- no notifications

It's fast because Microsoft ditched most of their old WM-code. The same reason why Nokia Belle is fast (because nokia removed countless menus and capacities from Symbian e.g. disable theme efects menu or webfolders from filemanager etc...). In fact if cutting bits of productivity is needed to make stuff faster then your incompetent in my book. And in this book both Nokia and Microsoft are incompetent!

It's good that they're together. A match made in heaven destined to fail!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I don't know about Belle FP2 but theme effects are in Belle up to FP1, they're just off by default. It's in a submenu which just has one option (theme effects) buried in theme settings. I suppose that was some obscure hangover from S60 r3.

The removal of webdav support in Belle is annoying though, I can only assume that it was ditched in an effort to push SkyDrive.

11. Petrossa
    Flame

It isn't right till version 7

The main reason i quit the software business was windows 3. I got sick and tired of being blamed by my customers for application crashes caused by that substandard OS. After the umpteenth time of: Sorry that's an OS error nothing i can do and then getting a mouthful from an irrate customer i had enough.

Sold my business and glad i did.

12. OrsonX
    Thumb Down

"the music volume isn't independent of ringer volume"

MS: hay, let's copy this crazy shit design feature from iOS3, cool!

Even Apple finally fixed this in iOS4. Question is, why would anybody think this was a good idea in the first place?

1. Lonesome Twin

Re: "the music volume isn't independent of ringer volume"

You make a vaild observation. But as a deal-breaker it's right up there with not being able to persuade the spell-check to have a sense of humoUr.

13. gribbler

I'm really tempted..

Would like to take the plunge and try a Lumia 920 but I live in Spain and buying one unlocked is difficult and expensive... I may just save the hassle and get the Nexus 4, it's cheaper, I know that Android is a good OS and more importantly for me I can order online at a low price and get it delivered unlocked straight to my door. I know I'm not the typical contract customer but I am interested in WP8 I think I'm probably just too lazy to go to the hassle of getting hold of one. Please Nokia or Microsoft just open an online store and sell me one directly!

14. n4blue
    Windows

tethering isn't new...

...It's been there since WP 7.5.

1. SpitefulGOD

Re: tethering isn't new...

Depends on whether your carrier has enabled it.

2. Manu T

... but not on Nokia's.

And since sideloading has been made extremely hard (the main cause for avoiding it like the plague) this is a major issue for everyone who needed it.

Nokia and Microsoft, a match made in heaven destined to fail!

1. Mike Taylor

My Nokia with WI phone 7.5 has tethering. Maybe a network thing?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From which part of your body did you pull this statement?:

"although there must be questions over battery life, since WP is like Android in terms of guzzling power."

The battery life on any windows phone outlasts any Android device anytime... Do your homework better next time in making statements like this.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I VERY MUCH welcome..

.. is quite simply the competition.

It doesn't actually matter what you like or have (and I'm not going to slag off any platform because it quite simply depends on what anyone considers important), with another player in the field all will have to do their best.

Never a bad thing IMHO.

17. phr0g
    Thumb Up

I want one. A 920.

I am definitely not a shill but I confess to being an ABA (Anything but Apple). I own an HTC One X. Great phone with problems. Trouble is I have 2 yrs contract left!

How do I get this one past the missus?

hmm.

1. N13L5
      FAIL

Re: I want one

If you think you have problems with the HTC One X, you haven't seen anything that Microcruft couldn't do in a much more exasperating fashion, with arbitrary restrictions and very simple work flow things that - incredibly - just don't work.

And when you ask on Microsoft's community support forum, you'll find that all Microsoft representatives have been extensively trained to never admit to a mistake, bug or missing feature. They will just divert you like "you could just not do what you want to do, but instead do this other interesting thing"

18. Oddbin

I have gone from a "Win8 is going to be poo and Linux will replace it" to a "here I quite like this Win 8, where's my credit card for this upgrade". I really quite like the look of Surface too. But both surface and WP8 whilst looking good and making me want to try them don't inspire me with confidence just yet. I think I will be waiting till the next generation of both to decide.

Saying that if RT had been £200-250 I would have bought it just because.

1. N13L5
      FAIL

Re: I really quite like the look of Surface too

All these pixels Just to show the ugly rectangles for color-blind people?

Oh, wait, I see - Mr Ballmer must have finally learned BASIC's graphics functions!

<tap><tap><tap><tap><tap>

SET BACKGROUND COLOR "green"

...Wow, look at this!

<tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap>

SET COLOR "magenta"

BOX AREA 100,300,100,200

...Yippee! Quick! Run it into production! I've made it myself!!! It's gonna be big!!!

19. Monty Burns

OneNote and SkyDrive

Does anyone know if diagrams/photo's taken in OneNote on a PC now sync to Windows Phone?

I'd also be interested to know if Skydrive acts like Mesh used to, in that it syncs a LOCAL copy so I can access when out of coverage?

Thanks guys!

1. Brian
      Thumb Up

Re: OneNote and SkyDrive

Yes.. sync works both ways. Ink'ing and other images show on my 920. I can add images to onenote on the 920 and see them on the PC or via skydrive's OneNote web app.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I am not surprised by the review

After all, MS gave us a glimpse of what happens when you use a phone OS for the desktop (what a fail). But on a phone Windows 8 should be good. I am happy we have more competition now. It is good for us when more contenders fight for a bigger market share.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does the world want a crashy Windows phone when the world has iPhone and Google?

22. Dana W
    FAIL

I use iOS AND Android. I can't see this as a replacement for either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't use Android, I have iOS on my iPad but can't see myself using iOS on a phone again. It's just a lame app launcher.

23. Raphael

"The music volume isn't independent of ringer volume - still."

And this is the reason I, the rare happy Windows Mobile user, jumped ship to Android.

My Windows Pocket PC 2003 SE iPAQ hw6500 phone can do that.

My Windows Mobile 5.0 HTC Touch HD can do that.

sure they've added a lot of nifty new features, but on some core features they generally seen to have gone a step backwards.

24. John Sanders
    Linux

Windows...

This is an honest question:

Even if Winmo is any good, is it a good idea to give your phone to a convicted monopolist (which is clearly playing nice only because they have no other option right now), when there is a perfectly valid, and much more open platform?

I'm talking about Android, obviously, and running Google apps/services is not mandatory.

When it comes to desktop, as much as I use and like Linux, Microsoft is unavoidable, and they kill everything they touch.

However with phones/tablets we have valid alternatives Android and Apple's iOS, do we want MS to conquer and destroy that market too, so they can have all the computing space and kill competition/innovation?

I for one will never buy an MS product unless there is no possible alternative.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows...

So give your phone over to a soon to be convicted monopolist instead?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/15/google-antitrust-microsoft-case

Only Apple are in the position of not being investigated.

2. Brian

Re: Windows...

MS is out of the 10yr period, they don't have to play nice anymore. They also aren't a monopoly in the phone space.

25. Confuciousmobil
    Mushroom

56 replies?

I was going to say that I didn't realise that there were that many people interested in Windows Phone 8 - but then I realised that some were by the same person, so I guess there aren't.

26. Magnus_Pym

Nokia Maps?

I'd be sad to lose Nokia maps if I trade in my N8. Built in, free updating sat nav was a primary reason for buying it. So I'm waiting until the new generation of Nokia phones becomes usable. Has that time come, should I wait for the next fix or should I wait until apple catches up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia Maps?

Current Nokia WP7 devices have Nokia Maps, Nokia Drive, Nokia City Lens, Microsoft maps.

The mapping and location based services are well covered, free of charge and of a better quality than anything on iOS.

The Windows Phone OS is optimised for communication and many services are integrated which is better than launching apps all the time. In WP8 Skype is part of the OS, switch it on and you can take Skype calls just like normal calls.

1. Magnus_Pym

Re: Nokia Maps?

Hmmm. Words like 'optimised', integrated and 'Location based' scare me. I worry that coming up to a complicated junction the map will suddenly change and message will pop up saying. "Aunt Gloria is calling from here (arrow) in Fort Lauderdale, Flo, USA. Do you want to set this as your destination? "

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All you need to know at a glance...

... a picture of a steaming turd would have done.

No amount of embarrassing advertising (anything from MS with 'trendy' music is like watching old Uncle Hector dancing amongst the teenagers) will persuade Joe Public that an MS mobe is cooler than Apple or Android.

Only the seriously uncool middle-aged will give it a chance, everyone else will avoid.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like