back to article Apple enables 'Superstorm Sandy' donations in iTunes Store

Apple has added a button to the home page of its iTunes Store that clicks through to a page where you can use your iTunes account to donate money to "Help Superstorm Sandy survivors." The page lists six different donation amounts ranging from $5 to $200 – all you need to do is click the Donate button under each amount, and " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Custard
    Thumb Up

Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't argue with that sentiment.

Nice one to the fruity firm - Apple supporting the Big Apple (and surroundings).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's big of them

All heart when the homeland is affected, yet still quite happy to take their 30% cut from every other charity that puts stuff on itunes

1. Tom 13

Re: That's big of them

While they may share part of the name with The Big Apple, it isn't their homeland, that would be California, or as the rest of us call it, The Land of Fruits and Nuts.

2. Hud Dunlap
      Megaphone

not everyone is happy with the red cross.

http://politicker.com/2012/11/staten-island-borough-president-dont-give-money-to-the-red-cross/

2. Chris Miller

"eleemosynary"

Did you win a bet by getting that word into the article, Rik?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "eleemosynary"

He's probably reading Terry Pratchett... I think he used it in Making Money.

3. solidsoup
    Joke

Jersey Shore

Perhaps Deepak Chopra is right after all. Maybe people's disgust with and anger at the retarded Jersey Shore TV show through quantum mechanics entanglement manifested as an enormous hurricane that smitten the whole area. Come on, you can't tell me people didn't fantasize about that. I know I did.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought donations were mostly useful to third world countries that lack a social system to help the less fortunate. Oh, it's America. nvm.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They can sort their own problems out

It's a wealthy enough country.

Besides, any country that won't let me go and live there (I wouldn't want to anyway) can go whistle.

1. Dana W
        Unhappy

Re: They can sort their own problems out

Not these days.

Believe me, for those of us in what used to be the manufacturing zones, wealthy is something you have to be 40+ to remember.

Despite how our television shows try to portray us, most people are 1-2 paychecks away from homeless if they are not already.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

The credit card companies still get their cut.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

As does the CEO of the Red Cross, which makes more than $1,000,000 a year.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that's all very well but ...

It's worth remembering that the Red Cross reserves the right to decide where donated money goes. ie. It doesn't have to go to the people affected by the storm. This was roundly demonstrated by Katrina and the Twin Towers.

So the moral is. If you want to donate to the Red Cross then do it, but if you want to donate to victims of a specific disaster then you may wish to look elsewhere.

1. Tom 13

Re: that's all very well but ...

Like the Salvation Army, which actually showed up in New Orleans with bulldozers and work crews when neither FEMA nor the Red Cross where anywhere to be found.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf

7. Ramazan

clicking "Cancel" when they should have clicked "Do It"

http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Do_It.txt

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it a superstorm, or a hurricane?

Who's reporting here, Michael Fish?

9. Anonymous C0ward
    Paris Hilton

Snooki must be jealous

Now someone else is blowing the entire East Coast.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like