back to article Windows 8 'penetrated' says firm which sells to world's spy agencies

French security researcher firm Vupen claim to have already developed a reliable windows 8 exploit, just days after the launch of latest edition of Microsoft's flagship operating system. The sometimes controversial firm, which sells the exploits it develops to Western government agencies and deliberately avoids sharing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel
    Windows

This

Is my surprised face:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This

No doubt that the French response will be to introduce a 75% fail tax on this product.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Odious To$$er

Nuff said.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Security Firm"?

Are they a legitimate security firm? There's something crooked about finding exploits and then selling the details off to third parties rather than providing them to the software developer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Security Firm"?

I provided bugs to Microsoft, I sent them a Windows disc and said it was chocked full of them.

The problem that MS has, there are too many variants of Windows with different feature sets. Dump 32-bit, make one 64-bit version and call it a day. You don't need a "home", a "business" or an "ultimate" version either. Make one and call it a day. Development is less, QA, patching, etc is all all less resource intensive. Also they need to quit re-coding everything between major releases. Look at UNIX, BSD, Linus, etc. they don't re-do every package for every major release. If it is not broken, don't fix it. Microsoft tries to fix what they haven't broken.... yet.

1. Petrossa
        FAIL

Re: "Security Firm"?

The big problem is that MS lost track of their OS a while ago. Through the process you described there is no person in the whole wide world who can untangle it. So they are stuck with that mess and have no option but to just shoulder on. It'll get worse as they go along and try to take out aero and win32. That will give them a bucket full of regress bugs us endusers can beta test for them. After you paid the full price for the OS ofcourse.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

definitely odious

the subtle thing would be to turn up at a government office, demonstrate the trick and say "how can I be of assistance?"

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Having your cake and eating it too is easy whenever one knows how everything works

the subtle thing would be to turn up at a government office, demonstrate the trick and say "how can I be of assistance?" .... Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 1st November 2012 18:07 GMT

Or.... do something simiilar to what dodgy, intellectually bankrupt governments do whenever they have to buy their own toxic gilts with magic QE funds because foreign markets don't want anything to do with failed policies .... set up a plausibly deniable clandestine and covert network with MIcrosoft to attack its own vulnerabilities, and make fortunes for the company in the process, to provide future security facilities to ensure vulnerabilities are not found and exploited remotely by rogue independent and rennaissant renegade parties

2. I think so I am?
      Facepalm

Re: definitely odious

And what government office has migrated to Windows 8? Most are still on XP

5. AlbertH
    Mushroom

Trivial

Windows 8 is based on the same failed technologies as all the previous versions. Once again, they've just polished the same old turd - more shiny nonsense on top of the old brokenware.

What do they expect?

Of course it's already compromised!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trivial

Failed?

Really?

Most installed desktop/server OS in the world?

I know I should feed the trolls, but really...

6. .thalamus
    FAIL

Corporate Hating

Yes, Register.

We can tell you hate Windows 8 with a passion because you use *any* bullshit story possible to have a go at it...

It's getting old though, very quickly. Get over it.

7. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Exclusive!

I, too, have developed a 0-day exploit against Windows 8 (and Server 2012).

I, too, will not be offering details to anyone who tries to verify my claim.

8. 404

Obvious Post

"And this is why I use Firefox...."

;)

9. Citizen White

"We welcome #Windows 8 with various 0Ds combined to pwn all new Win8/IE10 exploit mitigations,”

Professional security researchers do not speak like this. This so called security firm are obviously a bunch of children attempting to pose as adults.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: "We welcome #Windows 8 with various 0Ds combined to pwn all new Win8/IE10 exploit mitigations,”

or a bunch of adults acting like children...

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: "We welcome #Windows 8 with various 0Ds combined to pwn all new Win8/IE10 exploit mitigations,”

Since the professional security researchers are French, it is entirely possible that they outsourced the task of tweeting to someone who knows more about twatspeak than English.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought English was twatspeak? wtf?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like