back to article Ballmer claims Win 8 sales strong, WinPhone to follow

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer kicked off his company's annual Build developer conference on Tuesday by highlighting the new features of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, arguing that they represented an unprecedented opportunity for developers. "Certainly I'm enthused – as enthused as perhaps any moment in our company's history – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Noo.....

"We will do more marketing and better marketing for Windows 8 systems, for Windows Phones, and for Surfaces"

Please, No! ... I can't take any more crap adverts like the existing one for surface........

1. Keep Refrigerated
      Angel

Re: Missed a bit

"We will do more marketing and better marketing for Windows 8 systems, for Windows Phones, and for Surfaces. You will see our best work."

Because Microsoft's best work has always been in marketing... not in OS building.

2. Ilsa Loving

Wait for it...

They're selling lots of upgrades because they priced it at a reasonable level. $40 isn't too much to pay for a legitimate license to play with a very risky OS.

The real test will be when the price goes up to it's "normal" level. I'm willing to bet their sales numbers will plummet at that point.

1. solidsoup
      WTF?

This is seriously beginning to look like a parody.

Microsoft greatest company in the world.

All other companies are run by little girls.

Surface tablet number one in content of potassium.

Other tablets have inferior potassium.

3. DrXym

Little known fact

Microsoft's Windows Upgrade Offer site (windowsupgradeoffer.com) is only meant for people who've bought a PC in the last month or so but it asks for no proof of purchase and only asks where you bought the PC and what model it is. So providing you wanted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8, you could do so easily for £15 instead of the usual retail price through the store.

It wouldn't surprise me if a substantial number of people are taking advantage of this "loophole". It seems so slack that I have to wonder if its not a deliberate ploy to boost sales.

1. The_Regulator

Re: Little known fact

Thats actually incorrect, up until a day or so ago it was true they have changed the site to require authentication now.....

1. slooth
        WTF?

Whoopeee!!!!!

So I pop down to my local (PC World), lift up a so-called qualified Windows PC and write down the model number (well actually I take a photo). I go to this wacky site and enter in all the info and Voila!!, I can get new Windows 8 for £14.99. Would I want to run this on perfectly good hardware that can run Windows 7 perfectly well? Or any other operating system very well for that matter?

NO!!!!

This might be classified by Microsoft as a 'genuine' purchase but for such a measly amount, I am sure many people will get it 'just to see if it is worth it'.

I believe it is a definite ploy by them to boost their sales figures.

I can get Windows 8 for free via my institutions DreamSpark license, but could not be arsed.

2. DrXym

I'm not talking of the captcha stuff, but of the requirements to get a discount. Basically you must enter the store, PC brand and model into the form, fill in the rest of the personal info and you get a code. It's that simple.

1. Jediben
          WTF?

Got mine last night, using the amusingly titled (and fictional) "Uncle Bubba's SupaDupa PC Emporium" as the vendor, where of course I had purchased the MONSTRO 9000 model.

£15 later and it's installed on my spare SSD, and terrifying me by downloading pictures I had forgotten I had uploaded to a Skydrive equivalent in 2007...

Buy your copy today!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Congratulations, your Jedi skills have enabled you to admit to fraud on a public Internet forum.

For an extra tenner, you could have downloaded it legitimately.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are you RICHTO - 'cos you sound like RICHTO

Are you sure you're not ?

2. toadwarrior

It's a good way to avoid being accused of dumping.

3. Sel

It doesn't have to be because Windows 8 has had a rough ride in the press.

Apple sold the Mountain Lion upgrade at £13.99. The one before that was similarly pocket change.

The upgrade to 7 Pro was about £190 IIRC

I'm not a marketing guru but I'd say that if Apple are making you look expensive, you have issues. Further Apple do not have too many problems getting people to take their latest platform. This means they can feed their latest stuff to users more easily (app stores etc). Microsoft in contrast have had some fairly big problems moving their user base ever since XP making pushing other (more profitable) products that depend on new OS features harder. Remember that there are a large number of people out there who still answer 'Office 200X' when asked what OS they are using. This is not because they are idiots it is because 'the OS' is irrelevant to their lives. If you want these people to upgrade then you should remove any stumbling blocks (like large price tags).

So today Microsoft are offering a legitimate upgrade 'for a limited time only' from XP Vista or 7 to 8 Pro for £25 no petty fraud required.

I'm not sure I would want to replace my windows 7 install with 8 (giving me 'features' I'm pretty sure I don't want on my current hardware) even at pocket change. I am tempted by the stuff under the hood but from what I gather the new OS has a split UI personality disorder...

1. lauri_hoefs

"I am tempted by the stuff under the hood but from what I gather the new OS has a split UI personality disorder."

It certainly does.

But my reasoning was, getting a couple of upgrades for 30€ a piece was worth it for Bitlocker and Hyper-V alone, so I could live with a the split UI disorder. And most importantly, the fairly small investment also means, that I'll only lose relatively little if I decide to fall back to 7.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...you will not be able to ... go to the internet ... without seeing one of our ads, really quite frequently," he said

Yes I will, you sweaty lard-arse. I've got Adblock.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sigh...

Name calling on an Internet forum, how very grown up of you.

5. The_Regulator

No Doubt Huge Customer Base But...

We will have to see how it pans out.... As a desktop OS I think windows 8 takes some getting used to and the first impression for almost everyone is I hate this and I want it gone from my life immediately. If you actually take the time to use it for an extended period of time it is actually surprisingly good.

The integration moving forward is going to be really cool, especially once a new xbox is released that includes bluray (xbox 720?) who can forget the MS Fail of HDDVD Drives!!! Syncing data from your pc to your tablet, phone and console expecially when the console is a center piece of your living room is not to be sneezed at.

Keep on hating apple/android fanbois (seems there are a lot of you on this site) at least MS is forging forward with a great concept, heres to hoping they execute.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No Doubt Huge Customer Base But...

You ARE RICHTO !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nah, it's Pinback from Dark Star, back from the dead.

2. Paul Shirley

Getting used to it won't bring back the hundreds of small but destructive changes they made to discourage desktop use. So maybe people will get used to it - but they'll be getting used to an inferior desktop experience.

I personally don't like Win7 but even I can't imagine why a desktop user would downgrade to the gimped Win8 desktop. XP and to some extent Win7 were very customisable and didn't go out of their way to block 3rd parties providing that customisation. Win8 does.

FFS Win8 will actually let you customise a fair amount of window decoration. But only in high contrast mode and that gratuitously disables a different set of customisation. So you can't actually make the damn thing look any better, can't reconstruct the visual clues to gui elements without further gimping other things. It's deliberate, cynical and abusive.

1. lauri_hoefs

"I personally don't like Win7 but even I can't imagine why a desktop user would downgrade to the gimped Win8 desktop."

I fail to see what's gimped about it? It is pretty much the same desktop as earlier, except the Start menu is now larger, much cleaner, and easier to navigate.

6. M Gale

"Syncing data from your pc to your tablet, phone and console..."

I have a Nintendo 3DS, a Transformer Prime TF201, and a PC that runs a combination of operating systems including Windows. This trick I would like to see.

1. dogged

the 3DS is probably off the menu but the Android SkyDrive app would certainly work for your Transformer and the PC can either use the app or the website (which is easy enough to use, it must be admitted).

So, 2/3.

1. M Gale

Ahem.

When I said "combination of operating systems", I was trying not to attract attention by saying "Linux".

Good luck getting anything Microsoft to work there.

1. dogged

Re: Ahem.

What part of the word "Website" was too hard for you?

7. Ramazan

Win 8 pro upgrade + win vista business full retail == $140 (Amazon)

That's why sales are good -- because full retail version of Win 7 Pro is much more expensive ($350).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ramazan

Re: Win 8 pro upgrade + win vista business full retail == $140 (Amazon)

$139.1 actually ($66.99 for win8proUpgRtl + $72.11 for winVISTAbizFullRtl, both eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping), and you get a version that may be transferred legally between computers/VMs...

8. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Headmaster

"If you don't want one, you don't want the other."

Fixed that for him.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deja vu's deja vu

"...WP8 wouldn't be a repeat performance of earlier versions of Microsoft's smartphone OS..."

You're going to 'fess up to MegaFail in advance? Or you're just not going to make brown a headline colour choice?

10. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    FAIL

I'm

one of the 670 million Windows 7 PCs and I see no outstanding, or compelling reason to upgrade.

Heck my idea of an upgrade is to stick a non-m$ operating system on a PC

No doubt at some point I'll have a win8 machine, but in all likelyhood that will be in 4-5 yrs time at which point windows 9 will be out anyway.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

quote: We have absolutely killer hardware

Coincidentally enough, I did a search on ARM-based PCs today to get a feel for what's available. Apart from the Toshiba AC100 smartbook (which got rightly "slated", though it might be somewhat redeemable with the right software upgrade, which might mean upgrading to a proper Linux distro) or the ARM-based Chromebook (same story, though who wants ugly branding plastered on their laptop, or inability to completely remove the incumbent OS?) it seems like the only viable competitor in this field is the Raspberry Pi.

How ironic would it be if the Pi actually out-sold the surface tablets? Answers on a postcard, please (unless you're Alanis Morissette, in which case, go back to school, buy a dictionary, whatever)....

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Samsung have absolutely killer hardware

Google/Samsung have gone to a lot of trouble not to give their best laptop a name. "The new Chromebook" is going to be really confusing when the newer chromebook is released. I mean the series 3 Chromebook with the ARM CPU that is half the price of the Intel ones. It is model number XE303C12.

Here is how to install Ubuntu on an XE303C12:

https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/samsung-arm-chromebook

The instructions put the Ubuntu on an SDHC card, but you could put it on the internal eMMC chip by typing different device names. Someone has reported success with openSUSE. I will be installing Debian this weekend. The bumps I expect to meet are:

Samsung's kernel will work fine. Debian's default kernel will probably be missing some device drivers. I expect compiling the latest stable kernel will fix most of that and the rest will get fixed within about two stable kernel releases.

The hardware should be able to run armhf, but I suspect armel will be easier to get working. armhf uses the floating point hardware, but armel does not.

The opengl library is not open source. The vendor supplied one will be either armhf or armel. The Mali 200 and 400 GPU's are being reverse engineered (see project Lima). The XE303C12 uses Mali 600.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: quote: We have absolutely killer hardware

Why would it be ironic for a what's basically an ultra cheap development board to outsell a fully specified tablet computer. They cost vastly different prices and are intended for vastly different markets.

Of course the Pi will outsell the surface, there would be something seriously wrong if it didn't. Do you know what irony is?

You are Alanis and ICMFP.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: quote: We have absolutely killer hardware

Well it would be an example of cosmic irony, if nothing else. A software company that spends millions, if not billions, on advertising, telling us how easy their "PCs" (well, PC OSs) are to use and they'll make us more productive and so on, losing out to a non-profit venture that's interested only in the educational market and uses (horror of horrors) Linux on their kit computer.

Upvote for claiming your five pounds, though I am not Alanis :)

12. Confuciousmobil
    Paris Hilton

400M?

If PC sales remain flat there will be 400M new Win8 devices this year? But there are only 670M Win7 devices? Is it just me or do those figures not seem to stack up? Or are they including a forecast of 300M Win8 phones in the 400M?

Paris because I'm assuming I am having a Paris moment and someone will explain how these figures do stack up.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many tried Ubuntu?

Anything Balmer says I would take with a pinch of salt.

They KNOW there is no way to prove one way or another if his claims are true, and they aren't gonna say it flopped are they.

Microsoft are in trouble. Man on the street doesn't know and doesn't care about Windows 8, Surface or Windows Phone.

THAT WE KNOW...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How many tried Ubuntu?

"Microsoft are in trouble. Man on the street doesn't know and doesn't care about Windows 8, Surface or Windows Phone.

THAT WE KNOW..."

I'm guessing that if you actually got out on the street and asked people, more know about, and indeed care about, Windows stuff than Ubuntu. Or any other Linux, for that matter. So despite the shouting, I really doubt you do know. Unless you were waiting for one of your Linux User Group mates to come over and collared him as he approached your drive ...

14. The Grump
    FAIL

I call FAIL

Sorry Mr Ballmer, but your Win 8 OS looks too much like a damn Android screen. I HATE ANDROID ! Add to that the fact that Vista and Win 7 cannot remember the location and size of the last window a program used (XP could) - it doesn't inspire much hope for the future of MS. Plus WIN 8 will require dedicated Win 8 only programs (like I-Phones) - major FAIL. I'm sticking with WIN XP - the last version of Windows that worked fairly decent. Sure, MS no longer supports Win XP, but can you call Win 8 an improvement ? Cos I don't.

Put on the thigh-high waders - the BS at MS will be getting deep. It's a foot deep now, and climbing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I call FAIL

Wrong in every way, but a good rant nontheless...

2. M Gale

Re: I call FAIL

"Win 8 OS looks too much like a damn Android screen."

You sure?

Positive about that?

Or as Jim Carey might say...

REE HEEE HEE HEEEEEEEEALLY?

Sorry, I call shenanigans.

1. M Gale
  15. Joe User
    Windows

Re: Ballmer claims Win 8 sales strong, WinPhone to follow

Next up: Monkeys fly out of my arse.

1. Confuciousmobil
      Alert

Why do you have monkeys up there in the first place?

1. Euripides Pants

Perhaps he lost a bet...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

However ...

According to Ballmer, in the three days since the formal launch of Windows 8 and Surface on Friday, Microsoft has sold four million Windows 8 upgrades

Gosh, that’s impressive. That’s even more than Mountain Lion, which only managed 3 million in the first few days. Until you compare the user base, and realise that Win 8 has only manage to excite a pathetic few.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like