back to article Curiosity probe tastes Mars soil: Dude, this reminds me of Hawaii

Science lab and nuclear truck Curiosity has tasted its first Martian soil and decided it's a bit like a piece of Hawaii. The Mars rover's CheMin instrument analysed the minerals in its fistful of dust and found the composition is similar to the basaltic volcanic soil of the islands. "We had many previous inferences and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bill Neal
    WTF?

Aloha?

Aloha as hello or farewell?

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Coat

Re: Aloha?

It's at the beginning of the article, so it has to mean hello. Curiosity wasn't sent to Mars like Cthulhu, Destroyer of Worlds.

1. DJ Smiley
        Mushroom

Re: Aloha?

Well everything it scopes up and finds interesting gets blasted with xrays and then heated to check composition, so it could easily be goodbye as well

* Gotta be the nuke logo for what the poor microbes are undergoing.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

It tastes like chicken.

"You take chicken, for example. Maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

This explains the telemetry from Curiousity.....

"Dude, where is my board and jams??"

4. Esskay
    Trollface

"Curiosity has tasted its first Martian soil and decided it's a bit like a piece of Hawaii."

So it's full of guns, golf resorts and fat people?

5. Kurt 4
    Megaphone

kurt@delanoy.name

Why are we wasting time looking for signs of life or mars? Just send some humans and be done with it.

1. dotdavid
      Terminator

Re: kurt@delanoy.name

Why should we send squishy air-breathing humans to "be done with*" life on Mars when we've already sent a nuclear-powered laser tank?

(* I assume this is another way of saying "kill")

6. Huntsman
    Meh

Hmm

I was as excited as the next chap when this mission was about to get under way, the highly complex landing had my sap rising. But since then, it's kind of went a bit stale - 13 weeks of not much really happening.

It's a cracking effort, and I'm sure it'll produce some good science, but I can't help but feel a bit deflated at this current point in the mission.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The robots are starting to see through the conspiracy theory.

8. chris lively
    Holmes

What happened to the shiny bits? Were they covered up?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like