back to article Disney buys Lucasfilm, new Star Wars trilogy planned

Disney has bought out Lucasfilm in a $4.05bn deal and announced a new trilogy of Star Wars films under the leadership of the entertainment behemoth. "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, CEO of Lucasfilm in a canned statement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Esskay
    Unhappy

How long before

Disney decides a "reboot" is needed- featuring a younger, more sensitive Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca is now a "werewolf" with a six pack and Han Solo is (still) played by a geriatric Harrison Ford with a carefully camouflaged zimmerframe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: How long before

Luke will be played by Micky Mouse, Lea by Mini Mouse (Ears work into the hairstyle nicely). Beast from Beauty and the Beast will play Chewbacca and Han Solo will be played by one of the many other disney characters.

After Jar Jar Binks, what more could go wrong. If it means I can buy a toy lightsabre before I have to walk past the Apple store. Then so be it, I'm sold.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Luke will be played by Micky Mouse, Lea by Mini Mouse (Ears work into the hairstyle nicely). Beast from Beauty and the Beast will play Chewbacca and Han Solo will be played by one of the many other disney characters."

For some sick and twisted reason I cannot explain, I would actually like to see that.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

You'll probably only have to wait until Kindom Hearts 5 (assuming that 4 is already complete!)

Oops. Kingdom Hearts 5.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

After Jar Jar Binks?

Jar Jar Binks as re-imaged by the folks over there at Disney ..

1. Captain TickTock

Re: After Jar Jar Binks?

Jar Jar will be played by Goofy. Of course

1. wowfood

Re: After Jar Jar Binks?

Darth will have to be played by Pete.

And if they have Goffy for Jar Jar, they'd need to use Donald for Han.

3. John Bailey

You forgot the singing.

Every cast member will burst into song at key moments Later released as a limited edition CD every 7 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Later released as a limited edition CD every 7 years."

As opposed to the current Lucasfilm practice of releasing a "new extra special enhanced with nifty new features" edition every 7 years?

We're a few years away from Jar-Jar in Smell-o-vision(TM)

2. dssf
      Joke

"Life from lifelessness."

"It would destroy such life in favor of its new matrix."

(Guess where those two quotes came from...)

Definitely, it would create a new form of "star wars", hehehe...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Life from lifelessness."

"It would destroy such life in favor of its new matrix."

(Guess where those two quotes came from...)

Definitely, it would create a new form of "star wars", hehehe...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Star Trek II : Wrath of Khan

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How long before all popular works of fiction are owned by Disney?

Seems they are much more interested in the money than creativity.

1. Psyx
        Facepalm

"Seems they are much more interested in the money than creativity."

As opposed to Lucas Films?

Disney StarWars films are going to be crap. But after the last twenty years of Lucas himself reaming his audiences with crap films and crap 'remasters', it's almost a relief.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

"Seems they are much more interested in the money than creativity."

Lucky for us that the young George Lucas was solely dedicated to high art, then. Imagine if he'd wasted his talent with a series of trashy sci-fi films, woodenly acted, and accompanied by endless merchandising?

3. keith_w
        Unhappy

and this is a surprise to you because?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Birth of the Jedi", about the discovery of The Force by a young High School student campaigning to drive the evil shale-gas frackers out of his rural hometown, and who connects with Gaia to preserve the environment and end global warming. Where's the vomit icon?

1. jai

yes, because that's exactly what they did with Tron, isn't it?

and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies

and The Avengers

and from the looks of the trailer, Iron Man 3 is going to be chock full of Disney cartoon characters and singing, isn't it?

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

That's just what is irritating me a little about the response to this. People forget that the films Disney produces don't necessarily include lots of singing and cartoon characters (although you could argue that Star Wars has actually included both anyway, remember Jar Jar, the Ewok Song and that singer in Jabba The Hut's palace).

They also don't necessarily produce kiddie friendly films with cute characters and no gore. Look at the output of Miramax (which was a Disney studio between 1993 and 2010). They produced Pulp Fiction, a lot of Kevin Smith movies and various horror movies, none of which could be called remotely kiddie friendly.

Look at the Marvel films. They had a bit of a shaky start, but have turned into enjoyable action films. They also haven't changed noticeably in style since Disney took over.

Remember, Disney are a business. They are interested in making money with films. While films released under the Disney name have to be at least family friendly (to protect the Disney image), films released under the name of subsidiary studios don't have to be, as long as they make money.

These new Star Wars film probably will be family oriented, but before deciding they will be crap, at least wait until we know more than the fact they are being made.

1. beep54

And never forget that there exists a David Lynch film that "Walt Disney Pictures presents" (The Straight Story). Most anything is possible now.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: How long before@Stuart Castle

"remember that singer in Jabba The Hut's palace."

Oooh yes. Yes indeed.

3. Chris 242
            Flame

Pru Stu.

Not kiddie friendly "Pulp Fiction" you have to be joking!

Music, simple dialog, identifiable characters and traumatic adrenaline shots to the heart.

My 6 year old thinks this is better than "Pingu" and day of the week.

5. Armando 123
      Coat

Or a tv special with puppets, with singing and dancing and ... oh, wait.

6. Benchops
      Thumb Up

No, Disney will be very subtle:

Imagine a fleet of three Death Stars.... one large mother Death star and two smaller versions just behind, camera pans down from empty space on to the fleet of three. The two smaller ones are behind the larger, just above to the left and right, suddenly the sun that was behind them is briefly uneclipsed and silhouettes them...

Insidious.

BTW, the LEGO Star Wars franchise is truly awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjRPyZkRVQk

2. solidsoup

Not worried.

I'm not worried that Disney will ruin it. After all, it was already ruined by George L himself with the Prequel Trilogy. I just wish Spielberg would've sold Indiana Jones franchise to some one before the terrible sequel. Michael Bay would've done a better job and that's being charitable.

1. MacroRodent
      Unhappy

Re: Not worried.

My thoughs exactly. At this stage, the Disney touch might even improve it... They could make it campy, a bit like the Lego Starwars short films (some of which are frankly better than the prequels). Cartoon versions with Mickey and Donald Duck, anyone?

1. chr0m4t1c

>Cartoon versions with Mickey and Donald Duck, anyone?

In a shocking twist, Daisy turns out to be Donald's sister and they've both full of Mickeychlorians.

I can't wait for Star Wars: LIve. The Musical. On Ice.

1. Joe User

> I can't wait for Star Wars: LIve. The Musical. On Ice.

You mean like this?

Robot Chicken's Star Wars Special: Empire on Ice

http://videosift.com/video/Robot-Chickens-Star-Wars-Special-Empire-on-Ice

2. Psyx
      Pint

Michael Bay is Alfred Fucking Hitchcock compared to Geoge Luca$.

3. QuinnDexter

Hallowe'en

Any kids that turn up trick-or-treating will automatically get double sweets. Extra credit for character with less than 10 minutes screen time

I think this is a good thing. Take the stories away from Lucas and give them to a good director / producer like Disney have done with Marvel and we're on to a winner. Admiral Thrawn, anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Re: Hallowe'en

Thrawn trilogy would make a great set of sequels, the books capture the spirit of the original trilogy far better Lucas' prequels.

That said think I'd prefer them to do something like BioWare did with Knights of the Old Republic (xbox 1 game) and set it in the same universe perhaps a thousand years in the future with a restored Jedi order and a resurgent Sith threat. That way they shouldn't make the mistakes of the prequels trying to make the story fit with the originals.

2. Hoagiebot

I for one have long wished to see actual Stars Wars movies get made from the two early 1990's Dark Horse Star Wars trade paperbacks "Dark Empire" and "Dark Empire II." They were written by Tom Veitch, and they actually spun off of the events from the Admiral Thrawn Trilogy. The Admiral Thrawn Trilogy was great, but I loved the two Dark Empire trade paperbacks even more. They featured a cloned Emperor Palaptine going on a galactic rampage with several new super-weapons, including the World Devastator machines, the Eclipse-class Super-Star Destroyers, and the Galaxy Gun. And if that wasn't enough, you got to see Jedi Master Luke Skywalker get turned to the Dark Side and take his father's place at the side of the Emperor and Boba Fett once again chase Han Solo, this time through the winding neon-colored labyrinths of the smuggler's moon Nar Shadda. I used to be quite the Star Wars-obsessed geek in my youth, at least until the Prequel Trilogy came out tarnishing things for me and causing me to move on to other geeky pursuits, but even so the two Dark Empire trade paperbacks are the two works from the Expanded Universe that I remember the most fondly. I realize that even with Star Wars having a new owner I will probably never get to see those trade paperbacks get turned into films, but you never know.

1. AbortRetryFail
        Thumb Up

Totally with you on that; Dark Empire was really rather superb.

4. Eddy Ito
    Meh

Big deal

What will we get? Sucks Harder I, II & III, the post-pre-resequelated trilogy where Lick the offspring of Hand Solo and Princess Lay-Ya performs fellatio on an Ewok-Wookie hybrid while binking Jar-jar the undead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

re: What will we get .. the post-pre-resequelated trilogy?

'Star Whores', 'Star Whores: A New Grope' (the sequel) //

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Meh

Re: re: What will we get .. the post-pre-resequelated trilogy?

All my childhood ... destroyed!

5. Damon 1

Jar Jar Mouse - Disney Owns a Death Star (Photoshops)

Disney Owns a Death Star

http://www.vogvo.com/epcot-deathstar.png

Jar Jar Mouse

http://www.vogvo.com/Jar_Jar_Mouse.png

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who's that next to Rolf Harris?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Val Doonican, I think.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Ouch

There goes the rest of nice memories I had about the movies that Lucas could not completely destroy......

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Ouch

Now he can't any more!

8. Neoc

I keep on hoping...

... this is a Halloween prank scare.

9. TheOtherHobbes

Jar Jar Binks vs Eeyore

What's not to like?

1. Ron Christian

Re: Jar Jar Binks vs Eeyore

Only if Eeyore rips his throat out. And feels sad about it afterwards.

1. Jediben
        Go

Re: Jar Jar Binks vs Eeyore

Oh my god, Eeyore as C3PO and Piglet as R2-D2. I am seeing light at the end of this tunnel.

1. Tom 13
          Coat

Re: I am seeing light at the end of this tunnel.

Actually I think that's the end of a light saber and not the one you hold onto...

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Neoc

Re: Luke shot first

Luke? Surely you mean Han...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next you'll be telling me that Greedo shot first.

1. wowfood

Disney re imaging. Greedo Shot first, and it was only a water pistol.

12. Andy Mac
    Unhappy

On a tiny positive note...

...there are worse people to have in charge than Kathleen Kennedy.

But overall, sad face.

1. Mark 62

Re: On a tiny positive note...

Did you see her list of films? War of the Worlds, War Horse and Crystal Skull?

I'm not sure how they could get worse, Ed Wood is dead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I'm not sure how they could get worse, Ed Wood is dead.

Uwe Boll?

2. Chris 242

KK=Sad Face ?? Mystified

Check out Kathleen Turner for a freak show !

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Star Wars trilogy planned - why?

Doesn't matter, they were all an over-bloated mess, apart from the first, which did have a certain charm and scene of humor about it. This epic mythological universe he went on to create is just too much. When he wasn't self indulging with Starwars he could make a decent movie. THX 1138, American Graffiti, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Sequels are out-takes from the first movie, they're how you wouldn't have done it the first time round.

1. Ron Christian

Re: New Star Wars trilogy planned - why?

First and second. Otherwise, I agree.

2. Psyx
      Mushroom

"This epic mythological universe he went on to create is just too much."

The epic and mythical universe West End Games and some authors went on to produce was a masterpiece.

Lucas then grabbed the reins again and wiped his arse on it all.

3. Andrew Moore

You forgot "Howard The Duck" (the reason Lucas sold ILM/Pixar to Jobs)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thought that Lucas always had planned 3 trilogies - original trilogy was the middle of the three. So announcement of new trilogy is really only going back to his original "vision" which he had abandoned towards the end of the 2nd (i.e. episode123) triology and move into animated "clonewars" films instead.

However, the worrying bit was the follow-on comment that after the third trilogy was completed they expected another new star wars film every couple of years

14. Mark 62
    Trollface

Other things coming out.

Saturday morning cartoon based on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull complete with crystal headed alien as a sidekick.

Jar Jar Binks Krazy Kewl Kwanza (Dec 2013)

A Watto Hanukah (Dec 2014)

Plus The Star Wars Christmas special will air annually on ABC.

15. Steven Roper
    Facepalm

Can anyone spell

"antitrust lawsuit?"

Seriously, doesn't Disney have enough fucking control over popular entertainment without giving them control over yet another iconic franchise? Try finding ANY kids' program that ISN'T owned by them, directly or indirectly. Surely there has to be some kind of anti-monopoly limit to how much of popular culture Disney is allowed to own.

Please. Just please. Does ANYONE have the bollocks and the money to take Disney on over this? I'll donate what I have to the cause.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Can anyone spell

Why?

Just don't buy from them. Or do you want OTHER people not to buy from them? Sorry, can't do.

2. Quatroux
      Childcatcher

Discovery and Hasbro have have a lot of popular shows on The Hub including Transformers: Prime. Let's also remember Nickelodeon (SpongeBob SquarePants) and Turner Broadcasting's Cartoon Network (owns Hanna-Barbera Productions). How about we skip the lawyers and vote with our remote?

3. Tom 13

Re: ANYONE have the bollocks and the money to take Disney on

Nope. As we can tell every stinking time the copyright is about to expire on the freaking mouse, they own Congress lock stock and barrel. But given that Disney started over a dispute about a mouse, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.

4. Chris 242
      Flame

Bring Down the Mouse.

Simple association in the media.

For example. "Ow's about that then, Minnie".

Case is rested!

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yes Greasey Fisted George Lucas......

Starts a career as a writer.

"Hollyweird Accounting for dummies," by George Lucas

"Scam Whores", by George Lucas.

"Ten Billion in Takings (and we could not afford a hot dog for him)." by George Lucas.

"I get the awards, and the actors get scammed" by George Lucas.

17. P_0

I would prefer Disney to set any new SW film during the "Knights of the Old Republic" time frame. There is much more scope for an interesting story, without having to handle all the "Darth Vader" baggage.

I'm slightly excited by this news. Disney have some good screen writers and directors, and now Lucas is out of the picture a decent film could be made.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I believe they keeping Lucas on as "Creative" Consultant.

2. ArkhamNative
      Gimp

Finally, Eps 7-9!

I loved the KotOR universe, too, but I've been waiting for the three trilogies since I heard about them over 30 years ago. And I hold out at least some small hope that the last 3 won't be done as horribly as the first three. I look forward to hearing their selection of a good director.

18. Big-nosed Pengie

Disney (or anyone else) could only improve on it.

My vote's for Donald as Luke, Daisy as Lea, Uncle Scrooge as Darth Vadar and Mickey as Han Solo.

"Luke - I am your father!"

"Wak wak wak wak wak!"

19. Havin_it
    Holmes

It all makes perfect sense.

Lucas: Stuck Indy in a fridge to avert certain death.

Disney: Climbed into a fridge to cheat death.

Both: experts in metaphorical corpse-raping [of beloved franchises].

Lucas: Now looks like the picture in the encyclopaedia next to the article that explains literal corpse-raping.

Disney: Nervous.

20. Ron Christian

we have the option of not seeing it

and if jarjar doesn't die horribly in the first ten minutes, they'll never get me into a seat. Life is too damned short.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: we have the option of not seeing it

For me it would be 30 seconds.

21. jake Silver badge
    Pint

Marin county screwed the pooch ...

Lucas wanted a larger studio/offices at his Ranch, which would bring more jobs to the North Bay. Marin's totally & utterly fucking idiot government decided that it was out of the question ... and so Lucas is now retired.

Enjoy your cock-up, Marin. Disney will probably screw the pooch, too.

George, enjoy your retirement. This round is on me :-)

1. Gordon 10

Re: Marin county screwed the pooch ...

Maybe they were Star Wars fans and didn't want any more abominations?

22. Peter Gordon

OH NO! DISNEY IS GOING TO RUIN STAR WARS!!!111

Oh wait.. Lucasfilm already ruined the crap out it. Never mind, carry on.

23. Christian Berger

Can't be much worse

After all Lucasfilm and Disney have exactly the same problem. Both companies lost their "Mojo". They have lost what made them great, the spirit of trying something new.

Lucasfilm used to be a small company trying to make original movies. That's what made StarWars great.

Maybe it's time to move on. There are new people out there trying to re-invent science fiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO9ppicjlFg (unfortunately the subtitles don't quite capture the spirit of the original dialogue)

Or if you speak polish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETAD1EMklIE

24. skeptical i
    Meh

"You must help us, Mickey Mouse, you are our only hope."

Yep, another Disney Princess(TM) in the lineup to extract more lunch money from grade schoolers.

25. Gordon Pryra
    Thumb Up

Disney would not have produced the last POS that came out of Lucas

They were also willing to make the Fighting Man of Mars pretty closely to the actual book, which is rare.

As someone with a 5 year old daughter, I tend to see them all, over and over and over, so I get a pretty good view of the quality of the various kids films.

In fact Disney tend to make the majority of their sequels to a higher standard than most companies send out their big releases.

And as someone who is obligated to plaster his daughters walls with princesses anyway, I would prefer at least one of them to be able to look after herself and pack some serious firepower instead of waiting for a husband

26. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

So Disney Princesses include Cinderella, Snow White, Belle, Jasmin and now Leia?

27. WonkoTheSane
    Trollface

Obligatory...

I have a bad feeling about this.

1. Tom 13

Re: Obligatory...

Never tell me the odds!

28. Mike Brown

im excited by this

As a huge fan of star wars and disney im happy about this. Disney cant arse this up more than lucas himself, disney make good films. Look at the Avengers, or Iron Man, or Tron Legacy. This could be great.

Plus there is a high chance they will release the original trilogy on blu ray, without any of Lucas's tinkering.

Am i being overly optimistic to hope they remake tie fighter too?

1. AbortRetryFail

Re: im excited by this

No idea why you got downvoted for that, Mike; you're bang on the money there.

29. NorthernCoder
    Coat

Also obligatory

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

1. Dan 10

Re: Also obligatory

Damn. I came here just to post that!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Also obligatory

You feared something terrible had happened, came to the comments section to scream in terror and were suddenly silenced.

30. Richard Ball

Star wars

Can't they see that thing is dead?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: Star wars

No. It's not dead. It's just resting. See {nudge} it just moved.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It's a trap!"

32. Richard Wharram

Never sign for net

Did Prowse not read The Godfather?

There's page after page devoted to how you need to get paid as a percentage of gross, not net, because there will never be a profit.

R(W)ookie.

More on-topic, I don't see how this can make the films any worse than the last three. Good luck to 'em.

33. mrmond

Mickey and Minnie trying to get off planet..

"These are not the Mice you are looking for"

34. Mike Hams

Jar Jar

A long first scene in episode 7 involving carbonite and Jar Jar Binks would get my vote. Followed by a death star appearing off Gungan and finishing the job off.

35. Tony Paulazzo
    Gimp

>one of my greatest pleasures<

will be collecting $4.05 billion

> the Star Wars films have collected over $4.4bn in global box office...

...due to the oddities of Hollywood, some of the films have never actually made a profit.<

Or as we plebs know it, legally screwing the system and getting away with it even tho' it's common knowledge, making it obvious Hollywood are more powerful than tax collectors, politicians and fully in control of the Matrix.

1. John Riddoch

Films /never/ make a profit, at least for as long as anyone gets paid on a % of profits. Anyone entering into such a deal now needs to be very careful about what is allowable in terms of costs or they're stupid. Far easier/better to demand a share of takings which can't be massaged into a loss.

36. thegrouch
    Thumb Up

Frog throat bulge

I guess Lucas can now afford to have his throatbeard protrusion removed.

37. The BigYin
    Thumb Down

There's only one response to this

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

1. clarknova
      Joke

Re: There's only one response to this

I think you mean "do not want".

38. Slabfondler
    FAIL

Empty Handed Herders...

I'm a Yak, not a reindeer you insensitive clod!

1. Dr Scrum Master
      FAIL

Re: Empty Handed Herders...

if you're a yak, what are you doing in Mongolia?

or why are the Mongolians so far south? problems with their sheep and horses?

39. Torben Mogensen

Three trilogies

Sometime between the first two films, Lucas announced that he had plans for three trilogies, one set before the first film (which was, accordingly, renamed to "Episode IV") and one after the original trilogy. It took ages for him to make the prequel trilogy (and he messed that up pretty badly), so he thankfully dropped the idea of the third trilogy. Given that the title of the first Disney film is "Episode VII", my guess is that they will make the third trilogy.

In a way, Star Wars has always been in a Disney-like style, so I can't see anything horrible coming out of this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Three trilogies

And that may possibly have worked if not for the books covering the next 40+ years. When the original Thrawn trilogy came out they may have had an outside chance of filming those with the original cast, but I think their best bet is to go for the KotOR era, either basing them on existing games (nice tie-in already there) or new stories in the same era. Who doesn't want to see a mass battle between hundreds of Jedi and Sith?!

Sadly, like most people it seems, I fear for the worst...

And the books are canon?

1. AbortRetryFail

The books are canon within the Expanded Universe, yes.

George Lucas has always maintained that the films and the Expanded Universe are separate canon though, which gives him a nice Joker for not having to respect the canon of the Expanded Universe.

2. Tom 13

Re: And the books are canon?

Yes, but you forgot the last word: fodder.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The shroud of the dark side has fallen........

Grabbed more money the Lucas did.

41. clarknova
    Thumb Up

The way I see it...

The best Star Wars films were the ones where Lucas didn't direct them anyway. Perhaps this is a good thing, although I'll remain sceptical.

1. Tom 13

Re: The way I see it...

I'd say it's not so much the director angle as the money angle. It sort of acts as an editor: when you can't afford to do everything your mind's eye sees you have to cut the crap and keep only the good stuff. I think the same thing was true of the other big Star title as well. When Roddenberry walked as a god instead of just a producer who could be poked and prodded, the series suffered.

42. Velv

End of an Era...

The Big Bank Theory:

Raj: Come on Sheldon, it's Star Wars.

Howard: I'm going to press play, I mean it! Come on, we gotta hurry up and watch it before George Lucas changes it again.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

One more obligatory quote

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is."

44. LPF
    Meh

For a man who has just got 4 Billions , he sure don't look happy!

45. Rob Crawford

Waiting for 'The 'ittle Jedi Who Could'

Funny enough just talking to a friend of mine last night who had fought Lucasfilm for two years over the term Droid (Lucasfilm lost the case BTW)

Even he is in two minds about this sale, working on the principal that after a decent Clone Wars film, Lucas destroyed the success by producing the Clone Wars series.

Looking at the adverts for Red Tails I think it's probably best that he leaves films alone as even I know the laws of physics must be obeyed and no credible film maker would have allowed those action sequences to stay in the film

46. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Facepalm

It's not just Star Wars we need to worry about...

Did they also get Lucas Arts and the games?

Pirates of the Caribbean - The Secret of Monkey Island.

sigh.

1. AbortRetryFail

Re: It's not just Star Wars we need to worry about...

Monkey Island was always, um, "inspired" by Pirates of the Caribbean anyway though.

(Not forgetting that Pirates of the Caribbean goes back to 1967 as an attraction at Disneyland and has continued ever since, and the films were of the ride and not vice versa as many think)

47. Toothpick
    Unhappy

O crap!

Guess my theme park tickets for next year are going up to cover this purchase.

48. Spoddyhalfwit

Personally I liked jar jar binks, he reminds me of my dealer.

1. NorthernCoder
      Coffee/keyboard

Keyboard owed

'nuff said.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody expensive way to get a new Disney Princess

And somehow I can't quite see her fitting into a Disney 3pm parade, even in the steel bikini...

50. Bod

Disney & singing

My hope is that will mean we get Yub Nub back!

51. Robert Halloran

Disney's already doing Mickey Warz figures

Given the Star Tours rides at the US theme parks, they've had the classic Disney toons as Star Wars characters for some time: http://www.figures.com/forums/attachments/news/8786d1278951492-disney-star-wars-series-4-1alldisneywars.jpg

52. Eddie Edwards
    Happy

Ha ha

I had to read El Reg's take on this. Predictably cynical, as always.

"After all, the entire franchise began by selling the audience on the idea that an engineer would build a Death Star capable of destroying a planet that could be knocked out with a single shot in one relatively unprotected weak spot."

To be fair, they did explain that the Death Star was designed without consideration for small one-man fighters, and the thermal exhaust port *is* ray-shielded, so they have to use proton torpedoes. Any plot hole here is certainly better covered than the exhaust port was. And surely I don't have to point out the obvious parallels with David & Goliath?

Of course, in the *real* world, an engineer would *never* make such a mistake.

1. Rob Crawford

Re: Ha ha

Of course the showdown between David and Goliath is as real as Luke Vs the Death Star

53. AbortRetryFail
    Thumb Up

Cautiously optimistic.

I think this could be good news and I'm cautiously optimistic

Disney have already shown that they can nurture a franchise with their purchase of Marvel. "Avengers Assemble" was absolutely brilliant. And I for one really enjoyed "Tron: Legacy" as well.

They also have the potential to pull in some decent directors and writers. Let's face it, George Lucas isn't actually a very good director and he's not that good a writer either. His character development and dialogue in Episodes 1-3 was pretty dire. Especially the love story between Padame and Anakin.

54. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just remember...

Goofy shot first.

55. AfternoonTea
    Stop

Disney Star Wars? This is gonna be "The Black Hole" all over again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

don't knock The Black Hole

Impugn it not. The Black Hole brought us the silent, malevolent glory that is Maximillian.

He stands up there with Vader (the original, not the whinging ego-extension of Lucas) as one of the truly, utterly unforgettable foes of film.

56. Paul 129
    WTF?

Got take you to task for this one

"After all, the entire franchise began by selling the audience on the idea that an engineer would build a Death Star capable of destroying a planet that could be knocked out with a single shot in one relatively unprotected weak spot."

Come on. No one would make a mistake with measurements and plow a space probe into mars. O rings, scada systems, You name it. Government procurement,industrial design, it's probably the most believable aspect of the movie....

57. Chris 242
    Stop

David Prouse saved lives

Damm sight more than George.

Green cross code everyone.

PLACE

Look and Listen

Safe- then Cross- Looking and Listening

Don't see George saving the lives of our drunken shag-products across the road ?

58. Anonymous Coward
    Go

In the immortal words of Obi-Wan

That's no moon, it's an avaricious media empire!!

(and the Star Wars franchise being tractor beamed into the House that Mouse built completes the metaphor)

59. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever

This is really no big deal. The creativity behind Star Wars is a vast team, and Lucas may have originally brought us the galaxy, far, far away, but it will prosper without him for many years to come. Disney has a truckload of imagineers who will work hard to make the next films a success, commercially if nothing else*

And besides, for us ageing fans of the original films (of which the best are the 2 that Lucas *didn't* direct), this news is nowhere near as cringe-worthy as watching Yoda in those fucking Vodafone commercials.

*as long as they fire the ass-clowns responsible for John Carter, obviously.

This topic is closed for new posts.