This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K
    Linux

Bah to El Fan Boyz

Where is the Android update??

1. Annihilator
      Facepalm

Re: Bah to El Fan Boyz

Did you just read the title and then rush in a blind fury to the comments section?

"Android owners, we have not forgotten you. The Reg's Android App upgrade should go live in a couple of weeks, subject to tests."

1. dotslash

Re: Bah to El Fan Boyz

when they released the windows phone one a long long time ago now it feels, they said the android one would be released in a couple of weeks.

Not holding out hope...

2. jai

you have an app?

i didn't realise there was a previous version of this app - i've been using m.theregister.co.uk all this time (in truth, i use the mobile site on my desktop too).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: you have an app?

Can you post from the mobile site now? Presumably so. Personally I've been using the desktop site on both mobile and desktop.

I too didn't know there was an app.

1. Barry 16

Re: you have an app?

I didn't know there was a mobile site.. There is no "mobile version" link on the home page and the site doesn't automatically redirect to the mobile site on my iphone.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: you have an app?

There is a mobile version link on the home page subnav bar - called "mobile". Admittedly, this is not prominent.

To date, we have chosen not to automatically redirect to the mobile version, but we may change. Currently, more than 15 per cent of our traffic is via mobiles, tablets - and this is growing quickly all the time. We have had few (none?) complaints about showing the full-fat version as default.

3. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

Generous!

"Fingers crossed, the rating for our app should improve from a frankly pathetic two stars."

I'm amazed it got such a high score! It was pretty appalling to begin with ;-) May well take a look, if only for the offline reading - as noted I'd be inclined to just use the browser app built into most smartphones otherwise

4. jai
    Thumb Up

I like it

Seems to work very well - and offline reading means I no longer have to throw all the articles to Instapaper.

Would be nice if it could keep track of the article alerts I've set up via the website so that I don't miss out on any Stob articles

5. JOKM
    Thumb Down

Really?

How many icon libraries did you pick your icons from? did anyone actually sit down and come up with a consistant a ui/design?

6. Busby

Android update can't come soon enough. I always assumed the current version was some form of punishment for not going the IOS route.

1. Steve Evans

Given the minimal coverage the Google multi-launch has received here, I suspect you could be right.

They managed to keep the buy-out from The Guardian pretty quiet didn't they!

7. GettinSadda
    Meh

Much better, but...

Can we now have:

Landscape mode as well as portrait.

An indication in comments of which are replies to which.

Up/down voting on comments.

Posted from my iPhone!

1. GettinSadda

Re: Much better, but...

Oh... and:

* Preview mode

* The ability to open images and zoom in to read the writing (e.g. the Plextor SSD review)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comments ?

I've upgraded to the new version - where are the comments ?

1. David Beeston

Re: Comments ?

Scroll to the bottom of the article. Hey presto.

Written from within the new app

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have another look. Comments are at the bottom of each article.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iPhone update had not worked - the new app is much better looking, comments work and is free. So it's appropriate to say Thank You

9. David Beeston

Paid version with No Ads, Please?!

Looks really good.

But... I HATE adverts in apps, and would happily pay not to see them. Any chance of a paid for version, or one with an in-app purchase to disable?

Please, please, pretty please, with sugar and sprinkles and a cherry on top.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Paid version with No Ads, Please?!

Me 2. Please?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Paid version with No Ads, Please?!

You have ads?? None here - at least not in the hour or so I've been using it on the ipad (wifi, if it makes a difference).

10. Yves Kurisaki
    Paris Hilton

Not offensive

Basic, but it works..

But apart from offline reading, I can't see much point in using this over m.theregister.com

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Not offensive

Indeed, looking at the picture on the ad it looks just like m.theregister.com. Surely it would make more sense to add an offline mode to the mobile site (using localStorage, supported by iPhones, iPads, Androids and even Blackberries and coming to more devices all the time) rather than build a locked down iOS only version. Or is the fact it looks like the mobile site because it is the mobile site wrapped up by phoneGap (or whatever it is they're called now)? If so releasing an Android version would be a piece of piss...

What is it with phone owners wanting "apps" that do exactly what websites do?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Not offensive

We have an offline reader in the works for our mobile version.

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: We have an offline reader in the works for our mobile version.

Tidy!

11. Law
    Meh

Too late for me...

I use Taptu (bound to be an iOS equivalent) instead... I tried using the appalling first attempt of an el reg app on Android and quickly switched to a news aggregator (pulse, then eventually taptu) because it was impossible to use the el reg app.

The only time I go to the website is when I want to view comments... which apparently the new iOS app doesn't support anyway, so I'm guessing the upcoming android update won't do either... the only way you'll get me using the new app is introducing comments, or closing down the RSS (I assume) feed that taptu sips your news from.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The new iOS app does support comments...

Where did "apparently" come from?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The new iOS app does support comments...

Yeah but! Actually does comments, but apparently not up/down votes. Allegedly.

2. Law
        Facepalm

Re: The new iOS app does support comments...

"apparently" was because somebody further up had suggested it didn't - I don't have an iOS device anymore so couldn't check it out myself. You and a few others have since corrected them, but the up/down vote thing being missing should be added in to a future update, it is half the fun of comments after all no?

and I know - I know.... I was being a total negative nancy, but at the time it looked like it'd taken a year to fix a broken news reader app, and the only additional feature was ads. Now I know different, I might give the android version a whirl when it's out. :p

12. tangerine Sedge
    Pint

I didnt know this App existed...

Seems basic but functional, and allows commentards too!

Beers for the dev!

13. Argh

Google Currents

Is there any chance of getting The Register on Google Currents? I find it a great way to read many other news sites.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google Currents

Google Currents is not exactly on our radar. Anyone else use this?

14. Anal Leakage

Does the app occasionally show popup insults to the users who have made the egregious mistake of being iSheep, or is that left to the Reg's stories?

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Cookie Monster

Can your app manage to keep people logged in for more than a few hours at a time? Something that seems beyond the capabilities of whoever built the website.

General whinge: I can see why I might want an app for interacting with something with eBay, where the added functionality makes the whole experience better. But what [apart from vanity] is the point of creating apps for yer average run-of-the-mill website like El Reg? I'm getting bored of almost every website I visit inviting me to try their shiny new app.

Here's a radical suggestion. How's about sites just concentrate on refining their mobile versions? That way I can use just one app [a web browser!] to visit them all, instead of keeping a ton of pointless one-trick ponies on my phone or tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cookie Monster

We are refining our mobile web version. And we think that this is where the future lies.

However, enough readers want the apps experience for us to take notice.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: However, enough readers want the apps experience for us to take notice.

And if enough readers want you to stick your head down the toilet?

16. Napoleon
    WTF?

Not available on French Itunes ?? WTF ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

French itunes?

Weird. Isn't there supposed to be only the one itunes app store?

1. bencollier
        Thumb Up

Re: French itunes?

It's on the French iTunes App Store - https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/the-register/id435916697?mt=8

There's only one App Store but some apps can be excluded from certain territories.

This topic is closed for new posts.