back to article IT price inquiry chair threatens to throw book at Aus vendors

Major IT vendors are trying the patience of both sides of politics, with both the chair and deputy chair of the parliamentary IT price inquiry complaining that vendors are hiding behind their union lobbying organisation rather than dealing directly with the inquiry. The chair (Labor’s Nick Champion) and deputy (Paul Neville of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good title

I read chair and throw and could only think of one person.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

The US Software Nazi Party

"Apple, Microsoft, and Adobe in parliament for "stonewalling" the committee's investigation."

If these pack of arseholes are arrogant enough to give the finger to the parliament, you should see them give all 10 fingers in their "customer service".

Ohhhh I forgot, isn't that why the products cost 10 times as much, to pay for the 10 extra fingers given to us, instead of just the one.

Oh Oh that makes it all right then.

4. ThePhil

It's right in front of them

The disparity is partly this.

wholesale from US, $200, then 50% mark up for US shop, $300.

But for an aussie shop wholesale $200, then $30 to post the packet to Australia, then say 20% of the import declaration processing charge, $10, now at $240, then 50% mark up, $360, then gst $396.

When they set their online prices they have to match the aussie store prices otherwise they will all desert them as sellers, and hey why not take the extra charges the govt has created anyway.

1. P. Lee

Re: It's right in front of them

That's retail postage. Bulk business postage, by air and especially ship is dirt cheap. All the goods come from China anyway.

It also doesn't explain the pricing differential on downloads or the massive markup compared to the UK which has VAT at 20% rather than 10% GST.

Hello HP, I'm looking at your 1810g-24. I'm also looking at MS' Windows 7 Ultimate USD 289 from Newegg, or AUD 445 from Officeworks.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Would have helped to know this is *Australia* from line 1.

But might be interesting to start one of these elsewhere.

6. Stratman

So it's OK for manufacturers to move their production to the cheapest countries, but not OK for their customers to buy from them.

Righto.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Nail.

Head.

I think you've done it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like