back to article Carphone Warehouse outs LG-made Google Nexus 4 smartphone

Carphone Warehouse has inadvertently pre-announced the Google Nexus 4 handset, a 4.7in, 1280 x 768 smartphone made by LG. It will run Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean - possibly 4.2; both versions are mentioned on the page - on a 1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 CPU. There’s 2GB or Ram and 8GB of on-board storage but seemingly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Afflicted.John
    Thumb Up

SIM Free for £389

The Verge has a screen shot of the CPW inventory with the SIM free cost as £389.95.

A bit much for this really. Should be at least 16GB for that size.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish these Nexus devices had SD slots. 8GB won't hold my music and any kind of streaming is a non-starter with the state of mobile networks and wifi in this country.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

USB OTG.

It might be ungainly, but 8GB should be enough media for a few days. Not as ideal as a integrated microSD slot, but better, as you point out, than streaming.

For music, I'd be tempted by by a Sansa Clip and a microSD card. Sorry if I sound like salesman for these little things, but they are cheap. The only advantage a phone offers over it is if you have very long music/spoken word files that you want to skip to halfway through.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

But yeah, sorry, agreed: 8GB is just too small to be comfortable IMHO.

My 16GB phone (more 12GB after OS and stuff) does the job, a bit of squeeze but not a huge inconvenience.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Indeed USB OTG is just amazing.

I have a 3 foot cable that goes from my Nexus microUSB port back to my pocket. No more losing those pesky little microSD cards. I'd put it in my backback if I wasn't already carrying the UPS to power the RAID setup.

Wearable computing FTW.

3. GregC
    Thumb Down

Storage

I could live with no SD if it was 32GB. I could live with 8GB if it had a memory card slot. Only 8GB and no external storage? No sale. Shame, as it looks a really nice piece of kit otherwise.

4. Silverburn
    Coat

Anyone else think these "leaks" are strategic ways of increasing click rates, and/or biasing user to visit the vendors site first for these new phones?

Just me? oh. Mines the one with the tinfoil hat.

5. Mike Brown

screw the storage

its made by lucky goldstar. blurgh

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: screw the storage

I like pulling out the expansion of LG as much as the next person... but people once said the same thing about Samsung too.

And look at who's putting all the Japanese electronics manufacturers to the proverbial sword.

6. Afflicted.John

I have a hunch that the 32GB Nexus 7 will be a little bit different to the last batch...but CPW are naughty regardless.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh... and it have a proper maps apps

(someone had to say it)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: oh... and it have a proper maps apps

Bluetooth file transfer too...............

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bluetooth file transfer

You must have a lot of free time in your hands if you're still transferring files over Bluetooth.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

oh... and it have a proper maps apps

Maybe so, but clearly it doesn't have a grammar checker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Maybe so, but clearly it doesn't have a grammar checker."

I think maybe you missed the part where it gets released in 4 days time... so clearly not posted from the Nexus 4.

8. Timmay
    FAIL

I'm as much of a Google and Android fanbois as the next, but 8GB? Seriously? I was preparing to jump ship from the S3 to a pure Android phone, but looks like I've been pushed back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why would you jump from an S3? They're pretty much the same spec and if you're considering the move, your contract must be up and your warranty with it, so just root and install pure Android on your S3. You can save yourself some pennies on your contract too taking this route.

Has the S3 even been out long enough for your contract to be up?

9. Lutin

Surely there's no easier way to one-up the competition than having Expandable Storage. Why Google, why?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Probably because Android goes up and down like the bloody Assyrian Empire with heavy use of its native App2SD functionality. A known "feature" of ICS.

Deleting the SD card as a solution does smack of chucking the baby out with the bathwater though, fixing App2SD so the ruddy OS doesn't tend to go titsup.com when an event triggers the use of an app on the SD card is the right approach. Failing that, disabling it for devices with ample internal storage would be better.

1. Chet Mannly

"Probably because Android goes up and down like the bloody Assyrian Empire with heavy use of its native App2SD functionality. A known "feature" of ICS."

Err really? Using App2SD on my ICS SGS2 right now, no issues. Didn't have issues on my Tab either (now running jellybean, but had no issues on ICS).

Think you're talking bullspit...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Think you're talking bullspit..."

No, he's not, although he is a little confused (maybe.) The issue isn't having apps on the SD card but when the SD card is mounted on a PC as USB mass storage it cannot be accessed by the phone making all apps installed on it unavailable.

This is being rectified by using MTP and PTP instead of USB mass storage, meaning both the PC and the phone can access the SD card simultaneously. But obviously if swapping SD cards frequently - something I personally don't do - then the same still applies, those applications would become unavailable.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"There’s 2GB or Ram", hmm, tough call.

(Shoot the subs!)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typo alert: Warhouse in title

Typo alert: Warhouse in title

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Typo alert: Warhouse in title

If only there were some place to send corrections...

12. aj87
    Stop

Pinch of salt

I'm taking all the information on this page with a pinch of salt since it contains the "official" shot from yesterday which is a photoshop using a Galaxy Nexus ROM screenshot from XDA developers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29316521&postcount=416

13. uhuznaa

Can't believe that

8 GB? I mean, my Nexus 7 gets away with only 8GB because I don't have any music on it and it has no camera either, so no photos piling up. But on a smartphone I would want to carry some music and photos and whatever.

Technically I can understand that Google shies away from SD-cards for storage. But no SD cards and only measly 8GB of Flash? Never.

14. Chris Miller
    WTF?

5:3 aspect ratio?

What was wrong with 16:9? Or 4:3 (OK, Apple may have patented that one).

15. Manolo
    Coat

Not enough?

For mp3, 1 minute of music roughly equates to 1 MB. So 8 GB gives you about 136 hours of music, over five and a half day of listening to music without hearing the same song twice(I wish I could listen to radio without hearing the same song twice in five days! ). If I would ever find the time and energy to rip my entire CD-collection, it would not even fill 8GB, but still I have CD's I haven't played in years.

1. uhuznaa

Re: Not enough?

There's also the OS on there and apps and their data and photos and whatnot. Put 3 or 4 GB of music on it (and many people aren't very good at pruning their music library and dragging files around all day) and it already gets very tight very soon. No, 8GB with no extension is just not enough these days for a smartphone. My phone has 16GB and I have to clean things up now and then already to make room.

16. toadwarrior
    Trollface

Looks like an iphone and even has no sd card support. Google should get its own ideas and quite copying.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

360deg camera?

whats that all about then? hasnt android had panoramic camera functionality already for a while now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 360deg camera?

I'm guessing this is just an extension of the already included panoramic functionality. Perhaps that is a hint towards the OS being version 4.2 as if it is just extending panoramic to 360 degrees, I would expect that to be a software enhancement more than a camera hardware feature.

18. PeeKay
    FAIL

Fixed...?

Looks like CPW have taken the page down now. Ironically, Google cache still shows it though...

19. GregC

Been taken down now...

Someone at CPW has obviously woken up.

@AC - panoramic yes, but not 360 degree until this.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pure Greed

They want to copy Apple. IF you want more memory, pay £100 more for a 32 Gb or a 64 GB (even more).

Whereas if they provided MIcroSD card slots, punters can put in a 32GB at about £ 15 a pop.

Can't you guys see the logic there?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like