back to article Chinese boffins discover bizarro fish-oid creature with FOUR LIMBS

Chinese boffins have discovered fossil remains of what they believe is the world’s oldest stem tetrapod – a four-limbed fish-like creature. The discovery could provide vital clues about the evolutionary path of vertebrates from sea to land. Zhu Min and his research team from the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Institute of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ketlan
    Thumb Down

Where's the pic?

Picture or it didn't happen.

1. hplasm
      Coat

Re: Where's the pic?

It's not ready

. They've done the Zhu Min, but N Hans hasn't done his bit yet.

CSI type stuff takes time, not like TV.

2. IronSteve

Agree. I only clicked on this to see a picture

3. Paul Kinsler

Having just checked the paper, I can tell you it look suspiciously like this:

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/298/e/f/tungsenia___tetrapodomorph_v_1_0_by_gogosardina-d5ivzen.jpg

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Happy

Thanks, cousin. I've always wanted a pic of our great-great-great.........great grandparent.

4. Paul Kinsler

better link -

http://gogosardina.deviantart.com/art/Tungsenia-tetrapodomorph-v-1-0-334056191

2. Locky
    Boffin

Let me be the first to welcome

Our four-footed, webbed-toed, gill breathing overlords

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lungfish

The clue is in the name

3. Justice
    Trollface

They lie!

Evolution is all made up. The Bible I obtained from the fiction section of Waterstones tells me so.

1. Jad
      Pint

Re: They lie!

I upvoted you and I'm a Christian ...

PS. the bible doesn't say that evolution is a lie ... and until some merkans (and admittedly some "devout" englishmen) got involved pretty much everyone understood that most of Genesis was much more of a moralistic story than a specific way in which the world was created.

1. wowfood

I remember in class once, we were being told that the bibles "7 days" may not have been a physical 7 days, but rather 7 days for God, in which sense as an immortal omnipitant being, one of his days could be the same as a million earth years.

Also I'm a former christian, now agnostic.

1. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge
          Coat

I agree with you about the idea of Genesis time units being different to physical time units. I listened to an album by Genesis that was supposed to be about 45 minutes long....felt like hours and hours to me....

2. nitsedy

The 7 days as "ages" cannot be hermeneutically reasoned from the text. That interpretation really came up as a response to the claims of evolution as an attempt to reconcile the long times required for evolution and the short times defined in the Bible. Here's a good discussion on the issue: http://creation.com/how-long-were-the-days-of-genesis-1

The New Testament also alludes to a short 7-day creation.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hopefully this helpful cut-out-and-keep chart will resolve all the problems between creationism and science:

http://scienceandcreation.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-fossil-record-according-to.html

Did you know dinosaurs died out in 1927?

2. Justice
        Devil

Try telling that to Creationists and they'll burn you as a witch and heretic!

1. John Gamble

"Try telling that to Creationists and they'll burn you as a witch and heretic!"

That is so four centuries ago. Now they'll just talk to you and hand you pamphlets. Incessantly. Makes one long for the burning.

3. Sam Liddicott

I'm interested in your view of the genesis account of creation being a moralistic story.

Executive overview, perhaps, and corresponds even with the popular evolutionary timeline; but moralistic?

1. Jemma

So the Pointy Haired Boss was involved? It would certainly explain alot, Christian Fundamentalists for a start...

2. NomNomNom

"The Bible I obtained from the fiction section of Waterstones tells me so"

u r wrong the fiction section is where richard dawkins books should go along with the books about nazis and satanism/harry potter. The Bible should be in the FACT section alongside all the other facts like geography.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        Facepalm

u r wrong the fiction section is where richard dawkins books should go along with the books about nazis and satanism/harry potter.

You were doing well up until the apparent Nazi-denial. Well; not that well. I guess you would also expect to find The Complete Book of Grammar and Punctuation in the Fiction section.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Trollface

@NomNomNom get out from under that bridge!

Well, come along! I've got two spears,

And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears;

I've got besides two curling-stones,

And I'll crush you to bits, body and bones.

4. Kevin Johnston

Was the early Devonian period before they discovered clotted cream?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Possibly. But they'd already discovered inbreeding, and were practising it furiously.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Bring on the IP lawyers

This is obviously just a cheap Chinese copy of an iFish that Steve Jobs created millions of years ago.

1. mhenriday
      Pint

Re: Bring on the IP lawyers

Obviously a GooFish !...

Henri

6. Esskay
    Joke

"narrowed the gap from 16 million to 6 million years"

I'm sure some creationist zealot will come out and tell us that this disproves evolution because where there was previously only one gap in the fossil record, there now exists two...

This topic is closed for new posts.