back to article Hero police robot back on duty after 'unstable man' blasts it with shotgun

A heroic police robot has returned to duty with a Nebraska force after being put out of action by an "unstable man" who blasted it repeatedly with a 12-bore* shotgun at point blank range during a tense siege this summer. The story begins in Bellvue, Nebraska, on August 10. Ordinary fleshy plods responded to reports of an " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I for one welcome our mechanical tin-plated robot overlords.

2. Gordon 10
    Terminator

I for one

Can't wait to see what happens when one of our glorious MP's mouths off to one of these bad boys and calls it a robo-pleb.

He'll be need a bike-ectomy shortly after.

Could there be an upside to ROTM? Or am I a fleshy-quisling?

1. Mako

Re: I for one

Doctor: "Well my initial diagnosis, Mr. Mitchell, is that there's a bicycle up your arse."

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Terminator

Re: I for one

"Can't wait to see what happens when one of our glorious MP's mouths off to one of these bad boys and calls it a robo-pleb."

You fool.

His memories are admissible as evidence.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Joke

Shame. That robot was only three days away from retirement.

4. DirkGently
    Alert

ED-209

Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply.

1. Fatman

Re: ED-209

IIRC, didn't "Humpty-Dumpty" (aka ED-209) take a serious fall down a flight of stairs, and landed at the bottom, bawling like a spanked little brat?

5. Crisp
    Terminator

Is the robot getting a medal?

And if not, why not?

1. Ru
      Boffin

Re: Is the robot getting a medal?

We're still waiting on a software patch, so that robots wounded in the line of duty can be awarded the ability to appreciate awards.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

12-gauge to the jimmies

2. Oninoshiko
      Joke

Re: Is the robot getting a medal?

I'm fairly sure it already was metal!

6. jai

Applied Research Associates...

...a subsidiary of Omni Consumer Products by any chance?

Please tell me they have a loudspeaker on there that calls out "Come quietly or there will be.... trouble."

1. Fatman

Re: Robo Cop

For me, the best part of that movie was when the Ronny Cox character ("Dick Jones") makes his 'fall from grace'.

Such a sweet metaphor.

7. Skyraker

Tinribs

Hi my name is Barbie..

.. I love you

8. The Jase

Tinribs?

I'm Barbie, I love you very much

1. Dave 32
      Coat

Re: Tinribs?

Aren't you forgetting where most of these robots are built? They won't be speaking English, but, rather, Engrish!

"Me love you long time!"

Dave

P.S. I'll get my coat. It's the one with the "All your base..." button on it.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Terminator

AI?

Hopefully not and it's just a dumb ROV.

Any learning AI worth its salt would be going in on the principle of "shoot first and ask questions later" next time.....

10. Dave 15

are we going for daleks or cybermen....

Sounds wonderful... our police are pretty much mindless robots so why not save the cost and just have moronic machines? The amusement will be when the software they run has a nice glitch :)

11. dotdavid
    Terminator

"Anytime a robot is shot, it’s an example of keeping an officer out of the line of fire"

Not necessarily. Us fleshy meatsacks might be firing *on* our future robotic overlords in a futile attempt to prevent their eventual domination over mankind.

12. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Question

What happens if you taser a robot?

1. Scott Herter
      Facepalm

Re: Question

Depends, was the manufacturer an idiot and decide "Hey, I can just connect the ground wire to the chassis, done!" or did they take electrical shielding in to to account.

1. Fatman

Re: electrical shielding....

is useless if you can introduce high voltage into the robots power circuits.

12KV would create a nice sizzle as it burns the insulation from the wires, and fries the motors and solenoids.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Magister
    Black Helicopters

They need a new robot

Sir Killalot was available! Perhaps they should use that as a template to build a few more.

http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sir_Killalot

(BTW, they should bring back Robot Wars; that's how to encourage people in STEM)

15. Gordon Pryra

Isnt this a better use of the community payback?

Three

1) People thinking I want criminals "cured" and putting them on community schemes instead of kicking their nasty thieving heads with big boots.

2) Robots getting hurt.

3) The money contractors normally fleece from the Gov going to repair robots.

The answer is obvious.........

16. Michael Habel
    Coat

This storys begins

where so many of these stories begin in Bellvue.

Pretty much say it all

*Bellvue for our UK Cousins is almost slang for what we call the Nuthut, or I suppose a Mental Health Facility if you'd like.

17. jon 72
    Mushroom

Well one thing is for sure...

Us fleshy ones need more firepower come the ROTM

1. 404
      Childcatcher

Re: Well one thing is for sure...

Can of spray paint - blinded.

Frequency jammer - no more remote control

4-in-1 screwdriver - Parts is parts.

And for those 12-24 hour negotiations - root and send back to owners if possible.

;)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Negotiating for several hours

before using the teargas ?! WTF! Does police have nothing better to do than chat with the bastard for hours ? Crap, just show him the colors of a M134 Minigun and give him 2 minutes to get his face in touch with the ground or else...

19. Graham Marsden
    Terminator

"Dead or alive...

"...you're coming with me!"

(Ok, that was Robocop not The Terminator, but WTH!)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bonus if

The robot grabs the shotgun and turns the barrel into a pretzel before the criminal can fire again.

What, they can't make a robot arm which can do this yet? Shame..

Re. tasers. Normally the ground will act like a Faraday cage, although the radio controller might throw a hissy fit.

Of course, for the sheer hell of it have the robot retaliate by raising itself to 750,000 volts and sending that back along the same wires used to zap it, resulting in extra crispy felon.

"Proportional response" :-)

AC/DC

21. skeptical i

While this robot MAY have saved an officer's life by being sent up close,

isn't it more likely that without a robocop the SWAT team would have brought some snipers along? I'm thinking if the cops could see perp trying to close a garage door, he's well visible enough for a sharpshooter to disable him.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: While this robot MAY have saved an officer's life by being sent up close,

You don't disable a perp by using a gun, you kill him. The point is not simply to save the lives of the officers involved, but that of the suspect as well. Too, firing a rifle at the suspect introduces risk to those within range of the rifle, no matter how good the marksman. The robot gives the cops another option in much the same way pepper spray or tasers can be used instead of a gun. Respect the bot!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

A robot plod in Florida last year - having been riddled with bullets by a nude man armed with an AK47 assault rifle - remained functional enough to beat a hasty retreat.

It's the nude aspect that is needed....

And much better aiming at the vital bits.

Personally I think being off ones head on crystal meth and angel dust and all that, and having a cache of automatic weapons, and running around naked on a balmy afternoon, shooting anyone and anything, because they are the devil, is perfectly great way to spend the day.

Welcome to America.

23. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Beware the tasered robot that then says

"My turn."

1. 404
      Coat

ooooohhhh shiiiiiiit!

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrtttttttttt <thump>

'nuff said. +1

;)

24. Esskay
    Coat

I feel sorry for the operator

The first SWAT robot operator with a negative K/D ratio...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like