back to article Kindle Touch bites the dust

Just a week after removing the jumbo-sized Kindle DX from its range of e-readers, Amazon has erased the Kindle Touch from its catalogue too. The Touch was introduced just last year, as a mid-range e-reading option that improved on the eensy-weensy keyboard offered in early Kindles, and was rather more elegant to use than the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joerg
    FAIL

Shame on Amazon managers!

Amazon managers are really out of mind.

As scared by Apple as Microsoft is.

The Kindle and Kindle Touch e-ink readers are their only good hardware products. Surely not the Kindle Fire just another Android silly useless cheap tablet.

And just like Microsoft they always end up screwing it up big time.

So now they are not going to release any more OS/Firmware updates for Kindle Touch too?

The SoC on the Kindle Touch is as much powerful as the one on iPhone4 and iPodTouch4G. And so far they optimized nothing. The Kindle Touch could be really quick and fast but Amazon just doesn't give a damn about customers satisfaction.

Ripping customers is the way to go for Amazon managers.

Shame on you Amazon! Shame on you!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To

To rent a book or buy?

That is the question.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shame on Amazon managers!

The Kindle touch could be really fast....

using monochrome e-ink...

Good look with that.

The idea of the "proper" kindles is battery life and clear text and bugger all else.

If you want a fast gaming table, then buy one.

And as for firmware updates, wow, you can do errm some extra amazing things like errmmmm, nope lost me?

1. Dr. Mouse

I hate agreeing with Anonymous Cowards, but this one is right:

'The idea of the "proper" kindles is battery life and clear text'

The e-ink Kindles are ebook readers. They are fantastic for the purpose they are designed for: easy to read, and battery life measured in days of constant reading. They do nothing else well, but they aren't supposed to.

I love my Kindle. Before I owned one, I slagged ereaders off. I still prefer a paperback, but the convenience of a kindle, being able to carry so many books, and how close it comes to the readability of a real book is fantastic.

I have used it, while on holiday, to browse the interwebs, and also to play music, but it doesn't do them very well. To be honest, I don't care. It is the essence of simplicity, doing one job incredibly well, and a few other ancillary functions to a (barely) acceptable level. It is actually the first device I haven't even wanted to jailbreak/upgrade/modify.

1. Mark 78

@Dr Mouse I agree with everything apart from your last line: "It is actually the first device I haven't even wanted to jailbreak/upgrade/modify."

I found it essential to modify the screensaver so it had a nice Hitchikers "Don't Panic" on it.

3. JDX Gold badge

What are you on about Joerg? The PaperWhite IS an e-ink device, It's the newest version, replacing the old version.

2. Steve Brooks

I have a Kindle, didn't buy it, was given it in return for some work, don't buy books, I have about 3,000 genuine paper books, I would like to see the distributor come around and try to take those away if they decide my account is iffy lol! Any ebook manufacturer that exerts such control that they can actually erase books you have paid for is out of the question as far as I am concerned. If my Kindle dies I will get another ebook reader but it will be whatever I decide is most suitable for me, maybe a kindle, maybe not.

1. Colin Miller

Amazon, after memory-holing 1984 and Animal Farm, due to a copyright dispute, have said that they won't remote-remove books.

The Kindle Touch can store 3000 average-length novels. If your books are lost or stolen, then you've lost them. If your Kindle is lost/stolen, you can get a new one, report the old one as lost, and then connect your new Kindle to your Amazon account. It will then spend the next hour or so downloading all the books you bought for the old one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unless they decide you have broken their extensive list of rules and remove your account.

It is also unlikely a burglar would steal your collection of 3000 books or that you might lose them.

When you die, your books die with you because it's only a rental agreement that you have.

Just like a landlord they can give you notice to quit.

1. DJ Smiley
          Flame

Fire.

A librarians worst nightmare.

Oh, and they were insured you say, but the insurance asks for the receipts, which were.... paper.... and paper burns....

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Purchased e-books + Calibre plugins.

Best of both worlds.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Books tightly stacked on a shelf are relatively hard to ignite - they resemble a big block of dry wood (loosely scattered or crumpled paper is a very different matter; high surface area to volume, lots of available oxygen) So a modest fire in a library needn't be a catastrophe if the fire brigade rallies - but it will be one if automatic water sprinklers are installed since now a wide area will be get a prolonged drenching with rusty water in response to the hot gases spreading across the ceiling.

Go halon, or go without (not that your insurance will allow this :-( )

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Colin Miller

You must live in a reality distortion field if you believe that.

3. sabroni Silver badge
        Facepalm

re: Colin Miller

perfect timing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

3. Ramazan

Reading Amazon customers' reviews of Kindle Paperwhite, I think that Amazon is way too quick to discontinue Kindle Touch now. They should have waited at least until quality issues with Paperwhite screens are sorted out. At least Amazon could offer [specced up] Touch as a replacement for Paperwhite to those customers who simply cannot bring themselves to like unevenly lighted screen (after exchanging several Paperwhites and not seing an improvement).

4. HipposRule
    Stop

4 to 6 weeks?

Just checked my account and the Paperwhite is due for delivery on Thursday.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My original kindle, which I never banged bumped or dropped, decided to stop working 1 month out of warranty, how handy for Amazon who wanted £50 to replace it with a refurb.

If I hadn't have had another device that ran kindle software I wouldn't have been able to access my paid for library without stumping up for another kindle device; seeing as you don't save that much on new ebooks anyway due to tax (in the UK) it would have been cheaper for me to buy the physical books which I could have dropped/bashed/sat on to my heart's content.

Until they make them less delicate I'll stick to my bulkier Nexus 7 and cope with the short battery life.

1. JDX Gold badge

Your device broke outside warranty and they only wanted £50 to replace it - the bastards!

6. JeffyPooh
    Pint

The Kindle Touch...

The Kindle Touch was 'associated' with another blocked hardware, and thus had to die. This decision is not reversible. Thank you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calibre

I don't (yet) use a Kindle but my partner loves hers. I'm somewhat puzzled at this concept of 'losing' your ebooks, surely you just store your library on a PC (suitable backed-up of course) and use Calibre (Other e-library products are available) to manage it? Then you can upload/download your books to your e-reader of choice when you wish.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Calibre

Calibre plus the DRM removal plugin of course. Amazon can try remote-removing all my books, but I have backups of all of them.

(and yes, they are backups, not a thinly veiled synonym for piracy)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much as I hate to admit it...

...I absolutely love my Kindle. I know all the DRM should enrage my inner Stallman, but it's just so damn convenient.

Not only can I read my books on my phone when I don't have the Kindle with me, but they get delivered instantly which makes getting hold of older non-mainstream novels (e.g. sci fi) that much easier.

I was brought up to love and respect books, but ultimately a book is just a piece of technology, it's the words that matter.

I may come to regret this when I get remote wiped for breaking the Ts & Cs I haven't read. At that point the paper-wielding smugtards will have their revenge.

9. Triggerfish

Ac @ 11.09

May I recommend checking out this if you are in the UK or EU

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/consumer/sales_of_goods/before_you_buy/22248.html

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained

I started looking for loopholes and got bored, but worth checking out I reckon

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like