back to article Panasonic premieres 12.2 megapixel compact

Panasonic has announced a brand new compact digital camera boasting a massive 12.2 megapixel resolution plus the ability to record high-definition video. Called the Lumix DMC- FX100, it can take photos in 4:3 mode, plus there are four 16:9 widescreen modes offering a quite impressive 4000 x 2248 pixel image resolution - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joel

Oooooooh

Sounds lovely... can't wait to find out how much it's going to be... well, I'm not going to be able to afford it, but still, we can dream!

2. William Donelson

Casio already announced a higher quality 12 MP

And Casio produces better cameras.

I did extensive tests a year ago, and Casio came clearly best.

3. Kjetil

All good, but...

Can you take pictures with it without needing 10kW of studio lighting?

My experience is that the noise in a picture is proportionate to the pixel count, and inversely so with sensor size. I tried an 8MP Canon something P&S, and it was just about useless for anything but shooting outdoors on a sunny day. Taking it indoors was hopeless, as there was more noise than picture.

There is a reason why many pro dslr's only have 6 or 8 MP's, while having a sensor several times larger than that of a P&S.

4. Paul

Lovely high definition pictures

to download onto your PC and of course, like old printed photographs, view once and then never, ever look at again.

I do want one though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Might be worth double checking the details

>> In addition, there's a high-speed mode that will let you shoot eight photos per second at full resolution

That sounds amazingly impresive, however according to the Panasonic website (http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fx100/index.html), 8 fps is only possible at 2.5 megapixels at best.

6. Brian

Noise

The problem of packing so many mega pixels on a small sensor is noise. High ISO snaps on this baby will look like a snowman in a snow storm. Ony 15 frames per sec in video mode ? Thats poor even at HD res. 8 frames per second at 12 mega pixel is impresive though. My moneys says it wont out perform the Fuji F30 which is only 6 mega pixel and has superb control over noise. Maybe when people see that a 6 megapixel camera can out perform a 12 mega pixel one then the mega pixel war will end.... Who am I kidding, stand by for 20 mega pixel cameras LOL

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Digital zoom?

Hmm - an "extra optical zoom" that extends the zoom by 2x, but only works at 1/4 the maximum resolution. Isn't that just a rebadged digital zoom?

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Adrian Crooks

What kind of stabilization?

The last time I looked at a Panasonic they had mechanical stabilization which was quite good. Does this one have that feature too? If so the low light shots may be better than expected, regardless I can't judge it until I see sample shots.

10. John Stag

Re: "I do want one though."

Based only on the number "12"...without seeing the results?

Step this way, I've got a few other electronic items you might be interested in...

11. Giles Jones Gold badge

Overkill

No matter how many megapixels a compact has, they will never compete with an SLR with a much larger sensor.

Larger sensor means less noise, larger photo sites etc..

What's the use in having twice any many noisy pixels as before?

This topic is closed for new posts.