back to article Apple breaks ground on massive Oregon data center

Apple has broken ground on a massive new data-center complex on a bluff overlooking the town of Prineville, Oregon, home to just over 9,000 souls, as well as to another data center owned and operated by social-networking megagiant Facebook. Portland's The Oregonian reports that the first phase of the project will cost $68m, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. andreas koch
    Meh

To quote Jeremy Clarkson:

... and all that comes out of this exhaust pipe is little baby foxes...

yeah, right.

1. miknik
      Trollface

Re: To quote Jeremy Clarkson:

I heard they were going to surround a huge iron core with magnets and then connect said core via a shaft to Steve Jobs coffin. Upon announcement of the iPad mini they are expecting the coffin + core assembly to spin at such a rate they will be able to sell the surplus power back to the grid.

1. Grikath

Re: To quote Jeremy Clarkson:

and I shall follow with a mr. Slow quote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(disambiguation)

If only to prepare the way for the death by slow fire of anyone caiming such a thing as "renewable energy".

Sometimes I feel the Inquisition had a point...

1. deadlockvictim

Re: To quote Python, Monty

Esteemed Commentard» Sometimes I feel the Inquisition had a point...

You mean that one never expects them?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Staffing & Kit

"employ a minimum of 35 people" - is that all ? 15 security guards, 10 building maintenance folk, 10 IT guys ?

Are all the servers going to be made by Apple ? When full, that's going to be a lot of very expensive inventory if it's all Apple kit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Staffing & Kit

How many people should it employ? Modern data centers are "lights out", with no one on the floor at all unless something goes wrong and needs to be attended to. Facebook, Google, and Amazon's datacenters are similarly staffed.

As for the servers, Apple doesn't make servers, so unless they custom build them ala Google and Facebook, they will have to buy them from someone.

2. Christian Berger

Apple kit isn't very expensive for Apple. In fact they might even sell it used for more than what it cost to produce even after a few years.

3. deadlockvictim

That will make for a lot of mac minis.

3. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Joke

obHeadline

In keeping with current El Reg editorial standards, shouldn't the headline say "Apple BREAKS GROUND on MASSIVE Oregon Data Center"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: obHeadline

Er, I think you've just suffered a brain fart there, and posted exactly what the headline does in fact say, when I'm 99% sure you intended to make the (rather weak) joke "Apple BREAKS WIND in MASSIVE Oregon Data Center."

2. TheOtherHobbes

You mean FRUITY TECH TITAN IN GIANT DATA PIPE WINDMILL ECO-FOURSOME, surely?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. John 104

But you could take it a step further and quote Apple:

"Apple have invented a new, magical place, where our 'computers' work their wonderous things. This new concept is called 'data center' and is the first of its kind. And also the largest. We will now sue everyone else who had already created a data center for patent infringement. You see, ours specifies that the badge reader is on the LEFT side of the door..."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A data center not tied to a power grid. Hydroelectric power from beaver dams perhaps?

5. Mike Judge
    Megaphone

100% renewable...

10000x 14yr old Chinese illegals running round in hamster cages if Apples current track record is anything to go by...

1. deadlockvictim

Re: 100% renewable...

I read that first as somewhere between 100'000 and 100'009 14yr-old Chinese illegals... I wondered why Mike Judge was so specific in his use of wildcards.

Besides, doesn't Foxconn prefer university students?

6. Confuciousmobil
    Windows

I hope..

I hope they have enough floppy disks to back up all that data.

7. Avatar of They
    Go

I don't understand

For us UK readers, how big us is a costco store? Could we have it in something like linguine or whatever the measurement is for El Reg units.

1. AceRimmer
      Headmaster

I don't understand either

We have costco stores in the UK

Similar size to 1.7 Morrisons

or 2.2 Waitrose if you're from the South

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't understand

~558 nW

8. itzman
    Unhappy

Apple announces 35% uptime achieved on their new cloud..

"Today was a good Sun day, which they normally are but the important thing is that the wind blew all night, as well, so the staff didn't have to go out and buy more of those thumping rabbit toys to take the batteries out of."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like