back to article Facebook finally has some non-sales employees in the UK

Facebook's first engineering office outside the US opened in London on Tuesday, after the company announced in July this year that it was looking to hire 22 techies in the UK. The dominant social network chose not to move East to the British government-lauded Silicon Roundabout, instead preferring to keep its engineers within …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

"to make this a go-to place for technology businesses"

Yes, 22 whole employees for a company valued in the £billions. Great catch.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe

They'll actually get some things other than the spying tech to work!

3. James 47

Apparently

They're having quite a bit of trouble hiring people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apparently

There were a lot of students in the Cambridge uni computer labs wandering around in freebie facebook tshirts yesterday. Recruitment issues would explain why.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's a complete shortage of good software engineers these days. I know people who've walked out of a uni with a 2:1 in Software Engineering and not know what the hell OO programming was.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: not know what the hell OO programming was.

Lucky bastards

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If they are offering share options in lieu of a decent salary who can blame prospective employees for lack of interest.

4. Mr Anonymous

No point in getting all the multination mega corps in to the UK if they don't pay any corporation tax

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Not strictly true, because they'd still pay wages and this is money entering the local economy.

Those pints don't come free you know...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What a surprise

Who on earth wants to work in London, with high prices, traffic, too many people and a very long journey to work unless they're paying very, very high salaries?

1. streaky
          FAIL

Re: What a surprise

"Who on earth wants to work in London, with high prices, traffic, too many people and a very long journey to work unless they're paying very, very high salaries?"

I work in London, have done for about 3 years, from Lincoln. Let me explain the problems with your comment:

London isn't expensive.

London has less traffic than the rest of the country.

London has short journeys to work that are getting shorter all the time, unless you're... dumb.

Also FYI I don't have a "very, very high salary"

You're confusing London with tourist trap London. Stay out of Soho/Leicester Square, and maybe most of inner-West London - there's nothing interesting there anyway..

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
            Pint

Re: London isn't expensive.

Nice try, Boris.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not necessarily a net gain

A couple of years ago that office used to be fully populated with Expedia people, including a good number of techies. The fact that Facebook are moving in suggests that all is not well in Expedia land...

I worked there for a while, before deciding that free soft drinks and a rooftop bar where less appealing than the money in the City.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like