back to article Carphone Warehouse lauds Nexus 7 while eagerly eying iPad Mini

Asus’ Google-branded Nexus 7 tablet is “the best selling Android tablet ever”, at least according to Carphone Warehouse. Incidentally, Google has now posted the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update that triggered headlines last week but failed to show up. Not ‘best selling tablet’, you’ll note - the Nexus has some way to go to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. fattybacon

Buddy, can you spare me a price point?

The problem Apple have is that the 4" iPod Touch starts at £249 too, so the brand new Touch needs to go down to £199 - rename it to the iPad Nano? That would make room for the iPad Mini to be at £249. Or, since it's a <cough> premium brand, £299.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Buddy, can you spare me a price point?

Just because the iPod is smaller doesn't mean it should cost less. An iPad is on par with an iPhone in cost, so iPod and iPad-mini being the same is no big deal.

1. fattybacon

An iPhone and an iPad are two different beasts. One's a phone for starters :)

A 4" iPod Touch is exactly the same as a 7" iPad Mini but with a different sized screen. Having them at the same price point confuses punters.

1. Rebajas
          Devil

Only stooopid ones.

1. marioaieie
            Joke

How to be downvoted

So, all of them...

2. JDX Gold badge

>>An iPhone and an iPad are two different beasts. One's a phone for starters :)

A 3G iPad is basically a phone. An iPod touch is basically an iPhone with no phone.

2. Gadget Rage is BAD
    Holmes

Tube usage

Its a culture thing. Brits are far to paranoid to be seen holding a big obvious tablet on the bus or train, partly out of shame and partly out of fear. Having been in Singapore earlier in the year they have no such shame levels or fear of theft and iPads are everwhere being used for Facebook, gaming etc.

1. DrXym

Re: Tube usage

I think it's more the case that sometimes a smaller tablet is more convenient. I have a 7" Playbook which I find useful for putting by the bedside locker for casual browsing and a larger tablet which I'd be more inclined to use at a table or on a couch. A 7" tablet would just about fit in a large pocket or a handbag which makes it easier to carry.

2. AceRimmer

Sometimes the tube is so busy that even a kindle is too big

The MRT in Singapore is generally roomier, has phone and wifi access (even on the trains) and is possibly a nicer environment but peak times are just as bad as the London Underground

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am not sure it is a culture thing. If you're commuting in rush hour in London, there is a more simple explanation- it's so bloody crowded that there is often not the space to use one, as you're rammed (standing, of course) like cattle, often you can barely get your non strap-hanging hand free enough to see your phone, much less find somewhere to lurk to use both for an iPad.

I am a bit of a toy nerd, and have an iPad, a Nexus 7 and a Kindle. Yes, I know, terrible, and also skewing the figures. I tend to always carry the Kindle, and usually one or other of the two tablets, depending on what I am doing, tethered over bluetooth to my phone. However, when London's entirely adequate and pleasant transport system is trying to move millions of people around, I am lucky if I can get room to read on my phone, even.

(I don't think it's fear in my case, I am a 193cm/90kg male.. My SO says I look "somewhat intimidating", even if I am really the biggest wuss ever.. *they* don't know that)

When a new iPad comes out, there is often a rash of people using them on the train and tube, usually quite ostentatiously. This lasts a month or two before they clock that it's quite awkward and since the novrelty has worn off, tend to limit its use to when they have space. When the iPad 3 came out, there was quite a spike of very self-concious iPad use.

Sorry, that was longer than I intended, bit of a lengthy wibble :)

1. marc 9
        Meh

I too have an iPad and a Nexus 7. As expected the Nexus 7 feels a lot cheaper than the iPad, but that's no surprise since it was. No matter which Android tablet I use I always seem to play 'hunt the power button' for slightly too long. Nothing beats the obviousness of the iPad's home button.

What the Nexus 7 is good for is browsing the web, reading or watching a video when out and about, it fits in my back pocket. Google Now is also very handy, telling me when to leave for meetings etc. I've tried to do some Office word doc editing and quickly gave up. If only the Beeb would release an iPlayer that can download on Android....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one

Will be buying an ipad mini for the kids..

(means i can use the main iPad again... yay - as i currently seem to be at the bottom of the user list in our house.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still no update for me :(

not that there's anything amazing in the new one, but it's nice to keep up to date.

1. Alan Gauton
      Thumb Up

Re: Still no update for me :(

They are out there - mine updated over the weekend (maybe even the end of last week). It's nice being able to rotate the home screen without additional apps.

1. DaLo

You can force the update ahead of schedule just by deleting the system framework data - no root or anything awkward to do just go into app settings and click the delete data button on the Android System Framework (or similar name).

Then go to about tablet and recheck for updates and it will magically appear.

1. Oor Nonny-Muss

>>You can force the update ahead of schedule just by deleting the system framework data - no root or anything awkward to do just go into app settings and click the delete data button on the Android System Framework (or similar name).

And watch many (if not all) of the push notifications never happen again until you factory reset...

5. JDX Gold badge

Never seen

I've never seen anyone use a non-iPad tablet. Literally never, I don't even know anyone who owns one or has thought of owning one.

I see lots of Android phones but in my demographic at least, tablet IS iPad still.

I find it odd that everyone and their dog wants to laugh at MS' failure in the smartphone market, but nobody even mentions Google's similarly poor performance in the tablet market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Never seen

Given there are few decent tablet apps for Android it's no wonder.

Most are just zoomed phone apps. iPad specific apps tend to take advantage of its slightly different controls and the larger screen.

Google's heart really isn't in Android on tablets either, they seem to think that awful Chrome OS is the future.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't know anyone with an iPad, but we have 6x Nexus 7's in our close family...

2x of them are in my house. You can get 2x Nexus7 (his and hers) for less money than an iPad3, and it's a better product.

1. Ian Watkinson

Not sure it's a better product, it's a cheaper and more portable product. Better for what, watching movies on, nope I'll choose Ipad 3, taking on the tube...nexus 7...

3. Ian Watkinson
      Thumb Up

Maybe because people assume they are kindles?

I've been asked several times how I find my kindle, to end up telling them it isn't it's a Nexus 7.

But in a small 7" case, it looks like like all the kindle keyboard/touches/etc out there, as it's too small to be an ipad, therefore must be a kindle.

Thing is, prior to the nexus 7, there were no decent non-ipad tablets at a decent price. With the nexus 7, and Kindle Fire HD, and the Nook HD, there will be 3.

I tried once before a £129 android tablet, that went back 4 days later, being slow, unresponsive and with a crap screen.

Before people say Galaxy tab 10, I'll point out, same price nearly as an ipad, not better, so why bother (along the adage of when releasing new devices either be twice as good, or half the price the tab 10 wasn't either)

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      FAIL

I've never seen anyone use a non-iPad tablet. Literally never, I don't even know anyone who owns one or has thought of owning one.

Thanks for your input on this… This tells us lots about you and nothing about the market.

Google's similarly poor performance in the tablet market.

You mean the advertiser who also sells ads to people using I-pads?

1. Robredz

Exactly, seen plenty of people using el-cheapo chinese tablets sourced from ebay, for around £50 you know the ones, 7" screen , Boxchip 1 ghz cpu etc etc, less of a hit if lost or stolen,.

Ok they are no nexus, or I-Pad but they are ok for some.

2. JDX Gold badge

@Charlie Clark

Did you actually have a point or did you just want to see you name on the internet? My anecdotal evidence is as valid that of the person who owns 7 Android devices.

And whether Google make money through iPad is irrelevant to the point that they ARE failing to get into the tablet market. If the newest devices gain a foothold, how many years has that taken and how many $billions?

6. RainForestGuppy

7inch Tablet Paah!!

My Galaxy Note II blows all the 7inch tablets out of the water. The split screen function is fantastic.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: 7inch Tablet Paah!!

Possibly, but it's also priced completely differently.

Me, I love the form factor of the my Samsung Tab 8.9 but would prefer it to be OLED, of course. Much as I like good all-in-ones I think there is room for phone + e-ink device + tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OLED on a screen that big would cost a fortune.

1. eSeM

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 has an OLED screen ..... it was quite expensive but for me it is still the best tablet on the market ( .... and yes I have have or have had every other size of Galaxy Tab .... and a Nexus 7)

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

OLED on a screen that big would cost a fortune.

The LTE version of the 7.7 here is € 260. Even € 500 for an OLED 8.9 would be fine for me. As I'm very happy with my 8.9 but currently thinking about replacing my Wave with an SIII mini and a Kobo Glo to replace the Sony I lost, a new tablet can wait till they refresh their lineup. My guess is a scaled-down version of the Note 10.1. If it has OLED then I'll be buying one.

7. Steve Evans

N7 4.1.2 update? UK? Out?

WHERE!???

I must admit I'm a little disappointed after the "Nexus devices get updates really really fast" reputation. If I had rooted and installed Cyanogenmod I would have 4.1.2 by now... Which is really defeating the whole benefit of having a Nexus device.

Anyway, back to the main story... iPad mini... It'll sell bucket loads to the usual suspects and general sheeple consumers (of which there are many).

1. Trevor Marshall
      Happy

re WHERE?

Here! Mine updated itself on Sunday - much to my surprise. And the rotating home screen is nice too.

2. DaLo

Update by following instructions above.

Just click a couple of buttons button.

The updates are staggered slowly across all the device as and then ramped up just in case a major issue (or even a minor one) comes to light they can abort the update before it affects too many people.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Update by following instructions above.

@DaLo.

Ummm, thanks, but I've been doing that daily since the middle of last week.

Also moved onto the flushing and terminating the Google framework too.

Still "up to date" with 4.1.1 :-(

I'm starting to worry something is broken/corrupt... To root and do it manually or not... hmmm...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Steve,

I wouldn't worry too much, my N7 only updated itself last night. I think they have some cunning way to avoid them all updating at once, and you might well just be further back in the queue?

1. Steve Evans

Looks like it! I think it heard my threat of rooting, because about 30 mins ago it popped up a notification of an update.

Yay \o/ rotation front screen :-)

Still a bit crap that it didn't arrive until 7 days after the code was release to AOSP... You wouldn't think Google would have a shortage of server capacity would you!

3. Oor Nonny-Muss

Saturday evening here...

>>N7 4.1.2 update? UK? Out?

>>WHERE!???

Scotland....

8. David 138

Apple trying to catch up to Android :) iPad mini will do very well but im not sure it will take the shine off the Nexus or the Kindle as they are cheap, and thats whats important here. We had an iPad and it wasnt worth the money, its too heavy too limited and too expensive. The nexus is lighter and so much cheaper its a wonderful product with the best OS by far, both in style and usability.

The Nexus is far better than the iPad and it cheap, that makes it a no brainer, you dont feel guilty about having just spanked a load of money on something you dont really use that much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple won't catch Android.

On target for 1bn devices by next year, 3bn by 2016.

http://www.theappside.com/2012/09/13/android-to-pass-1bn-landmark-in-2013/

9. Ian Watkinson
    FAIL

Great Device, Great OS. shame about the Apps and the App store

I love my Nexus 7, I loved the voucher I got to use with it.

I hate the Play Store.

I hate the Amazon store a little less as it gives me a free app a day, and some of them even work.

However many of the Apps look terrible on the Nexus 7, and I can only assume even worse on 10" tablets.

Plus many many many of them, just don't work.

BBC Iplayer anyone? Nope..

Flash, nope.

Skype..sort of.

Notespark - no app.

1Password - only reader.

PvZ HD..nope only Standard Def here...

And that's not counting the ones that install crap on the device, and try and get you to buy more stuff by popping things up. Makes smurfberries on iOS look tame.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Great Device, Great OS. shame about the Apps and the App store

A little unfair to blame the tablet for bad third party apps. Most of the apps I use look and work fine, although there are a few which are nothing more than the ipad app ported over by a lazy developer who has probably never used an Android device in his life.

Skype works fine, video chat, no problem.

Flash + iPlayer... Well the latter depends on the former, and the very i-centric BBC have been incredibly slow in getting a non-flash HTML5 version out for v4+ Androids. You can however sideload flash and iPlayer. It works for me.

If you need your plants and zombie in HD, message the developers. Same goes for all the other apps. The more complaints/requests they get, the more likely they are to notice the huge market.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash and iPlayer here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1806897

(BBC are about to launch their non-Flash iplayer very soon)

Works just fine. You even have flash in Opera and Firefox...

1. Oor Nonny-Muss

BBC Media Player....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.uk.co.bbc.android.mediaplayer

Works for the TV part of iPlayer at least (and indeed most of the embedded video on the BBC website)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I recently gave advice to a friend on the nexus 7. Said for the price point it was a good machine and has won awards for best '12 gadget.

They ignored me and was sucked in by the sales patter. Bought the new iPad.

Now complaining to me about how they hate it and how shit it is!

Why do people ask for advice, fail to heed it, then winge aobut their oh-so-poor choice?

1. JaimieV
      Pint

People asking for and ignoring advice is so common in the computer world I just ignore it in turn these days... I'd have exploded long since if I didn't!

Last time I had a friend complaining about their new tablet, every single one of his complaints was actually nonsense - all the things he said it couldn't do, it could and very easily and obviously; all the things that annoyed him were optional and could be switched off/to some better setting. All within the tablet, rather than even needing 3rd party apps.

He still didn't like it. Turns out that he didn't like *really* was it being a tablet with a touch UI, so the hour I spent showing him how to do stuff was completely wasted. Your friend may be the same - nothing to do with Apple or Android.

12. Anonymous John
    Meh

I was about to buy one...

But there are claims of a 32GB one also for £199.99 by Christmas.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/10/15/exclusive-32gb-google-nexus-7-tablet-to-go-on-sale-this-week-in-the-uk/

1. Anonymous John

Re: I was about to buy one...

The latest Argos mini catalogue shows it (508/325). Out of stock according to the branch machines, and not mentioned on the website.

13. Green Nigel 42
    Thumb Down

Apples & Stairs

Sorry if this going over old ground, but I just want to express my disapointment

at Google/Asus with the Nexus 7 for producing a none SD slot tablet, & ,say why it is such a deal breaker for me.

So why not use the cloud 3/4G, wifi instead?

Well shuffling & squashing media files into small finite internal storage is a too time consuming clunky solution.

The cloud pushes you to their retail shops/storage, ,(Apple & Googles), the networks (& shops like Carphone) just want you to buy & use higher data plans if you go 3/4G for starters.

So I much prefer to pay a little

more initially for a tablet, so I can store & run Apps quickly on lightly loaded internal memory (preserving the performance) & can just click in cheap media loaded SD cards, unload a camera's ect, for off base unconnected versatility, as required (with out need for expensive bulky breakable loose able accessories).

I also view these cheap inadequate base models on offer with 8/16g as just a hook to get you to buy memory a rip off prices through pulling you up to the next barley adequte higher model with 32g (for £30-40 + more).

It was sad to see Asus block off the SD on the Nexus 7 at Googles request under the excuse of cost, but I guess copying Apple runs deeper than hardware.

Finally, do not forget to add £20 to the price of the iPad mini for your Lighting adapter!

(I can't seriously believe the base iPad mini wifi will only be 8g in memory, awful)

14. Martin
    Thumb Up

Try this...

nexus usb importer

Allows you to connect usb drives and stream movies or photos or music without rooting your device. And what else do you want the extra memory for?

1. Green Nigel 42
      Thumb Up

Re: Try this...

Martin, thank you for pointing out the Nexus Photo viewer App & OTG cable solution out, it looks like its going to be truly promising & much needed SDHC card reader work around.

Scanning through the Google Play feed back, users mostly enthusiastically confirm that it does what it claims, the few problems being most commonly voiced being :-

1. Unrecognized file formats not being shown on the card being read, so trying to play it with an alternative media streamer difficult, a file manager is on its way hopefully to address this.

2. Difficult & only sequential navigation on SD card for viewing photos, down loading on to Nexus to view is the best option, where keep/delete is easily performed, at the expense of filling up internal memory (see 3. below),

3,Would be nice if it could write to & delete files on the SD card from the Nexus 7. although this not in the app spec, but would bring it closer to being a true SD slot replacement.

4. Not all USB SD readers work.

For most tasks this is a great cost effective, robust software/hardware solution (4.5 star off a 800 sample with even most of the lower star ratings being appreciative & constructive), although not quite a full SD card slot replacement yet, the developer has produced and is still developing a superb App, especially when considering this is done without having to root, preserving ones guarantee. Most of the problems are solvable with the possible exception of the write/delete to the card, but never say never. At 1/4 the price, It doesn't appear to have the inconsistencies of the Apple equivalents that seem to be made worse with iOS updates.

I wonder how Google views this, although it is on Google Play, it does rather undermine their marketing strategy!

I will on the back of this, look at the Nexus 7 with renewed interest, thanks again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Try this...

Nexus Media Importer

HomeySoft

This app is incompatible with your Asus Nexus 7.

15. Long Fei

Beijing

By coincidence,I took the Beijing underground at rush hour for the first time in ages yesterday, and did a similar survey. I saw only four pads being used (if you think London is crowded, try Beijing). One was an iPad, one was a small Lenovo model of some kind, whilst the other two I couldn't identify, but were too small to be ipads.

As an aside, nearly all phones I saw were Android (there was one HTC Windows), mixed with a few old Nokias and only one iPhone. Most of the Android phones were local brands.

Locations: North half of line 5 and along a long chunk of line 1. Both Apple products were on line 5, and the general level of phones seemed to be newer and nicer than on line 1. Not sure what that tells us though.

16. Mike Judge
    FAIL

barometer broken

"Certainly, El Reg’s barometer of technology usage, the London Underground, suggests not. "

Problem is apple love to pose with their fashion accessories, nexus owners just use them...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like