back to article It's official: Apple will reveal 'a little more' on October 23

Apple has sent out invitations to what world+dog assume will be the introductory event for the oft-rumored iPad mini. And as expected, said soirée will be held on October 23. Invitation to Apple's October 23rd 'iPad mini' event 'A little more'? How coy, Cupertino, how coy... The invitation's tag line certainly hints …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kparsons84

Get your money ready sheep

Apple is ready to extract another load from you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get your money ready sheep

its a sorry state of affairs that a not insignificant number of apple fans will go out queue up for days in front of a select few shops, even if they have a need for the item or not just to get their hands on one.....

A relative of mine cant help himself. He owns a iPhone 5, 4s and 4, iPad, iPad2 and a new iPad (3) and will go and get the ipod maxi / ipad mini. He has a apple tv box, macbook air, and whatever the fuck the desktop thing is he has.

he take great delight that as soon as he buys something on iTunes it auto syncs across everything.....and the sad git also has a apple logo tattoo....

he is beyond help.... or reason...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But that's an extreme case. They're just lost people looking for a sort of religion.

Personally I'm just a user, I buy what I like and don't let any marketing sway me and reviews these days are pretty rubbish too. Overlooking huge flaws.

Whatever happened to banded ratings?

Performance

Design

Battery Life

Software

etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

His name is not Charles Arthur is it?

(guardian tech blog joke, sorry!).

3. Chris 3
        Trollface

I've never queued for any Apple product (or any product, that I recall), but it's getting quite tempting to do so, simply for the fun of making a certain kind of person so angry.

4. W.O.Frobozz

Do you remember the old Star Trek: The Next Generation episode called "The Game?"

It's starting to cut a little too close to reality now. And we have no Wesley Crusher to save us.

1. stu 4
          Holmes

though personally I think I'd rather die than live with the humiliation of having been saved by that annoying little prick.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So, what you're saying is he has a lot more money than you, he can buy what he wants and can probably spell better than you? Hmmm, he must be an arsehole... Does he do grammar as well?

Anyway, get back to your darkened room and your Linux box, just call your mum when you're ready for tea, I'm sure she'll hear you from the basement...

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

An Apple tattoo??

If I could, I'd change the official Apple logo, just to make him cry like a baby. Even Apple shareholders would agree the cost was worth it.

7. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"he is beyond help.... or reason..."

actually, Its gets worse....

At the beginning of the year when their was the massive interest in the Raspberry Pi, and there was a massive waiting list for one... he, like the rest of us was up at stupid o’clock trying to get one of the first batch....

to date, his has been out of the box for one day, was on the phone to me for half the day while he was trying to get an OS on it..

I bet if he was walking down the road and could hear people behind a fence chanting 14, 14 ,14 ,14.... he would look through a gap, get poked in the eye while they all started chanting 15, 15,15, then join the group of people all looking up to see what the others are looking at., then goes home and buys a book of ebay that contains information on how to make a fortune on ebay......

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No member of Apple staff has ever offered to extract a load from me- do I need a special password?

3. miknik
      Pint

Invitations to world+dog

I assume you mean world+dog-el reg?

Beer to compensate for the journalistic piss up trip someone there has missed out on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you flip that image upside down, it looks like they're dropping a turd.

1. kparsons84

@turd pic. apple knows as well as us how it shits all over its loyal customers in terms of price, specs etc but I never expected them to show us so literally. A great spot!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd design...

Perhaps the new Apple anal vibrator?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There'd better be an app for that

An app that plays your favourite tune and times the vibrations to the beat of that tune.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: There'd better be an app for that

There is:

http://www.ohmibod.com/app/

Obviously requires a little bit of external "hardware". Ahem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Odd design...

Is that what you use to give someone a stevejob?

4. Andrew James

Oh FFS

I had just managed to convince the wife that an iPad is too expensive for christmas and we should get a Nexus 7 instead ... now she will learn of this (presumably) cheaper alternative iPad and want one of those again.

I'd started getting used to the idea of a Nexus too. And they sell it in John Lewis ... and i have a £100 voucher as a result of that Natwest disaster earlier in the year.

Grrr.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Oh FFS

Get the Nexus 7... There is no way Apple will make a comparable device for that money. They're famous for their huge margins, and far too proud to be seen to mix it up with the great unwashed low margin tablets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"There is no way Apple will make a comparable device for that money"

wanna bet?

http://www.iamconcise.com/main/the-reason-for-the-ipad-mini.html

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

wanna bet?

You really think Apple will release a *new* 7" iPad mini for less than the current gen 4" iPod Touch which starts at $299?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, because they're fundamentally different devices.

They may do exactly the same thing but no one would buy a 7" tablet to have portable access to their music.

And they will def sell it cheaper then the top end iPod, the punter chooses whether size is that important, and if so pays accordingly.

(I'm pretty sure, though I haven't rechecked this recently, that the top end nano's were more expensive then the entry level touch's for the same reason)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Well, I'm not holding my breath on it. We'll find out soon enough and one of us will owe a virtual beer to the other ;)

Cheers

2. Steve Evans

I want those down votes expunged from the record after the price and spec are announced ok? :-P

Oh, and to the OP... hold back on the N7, looks like a 32gig is in the wings at 16gig price.

1. Andrew James

Just seen the 32GB N7 story elsewhere. Wont be buying until December either way anyway, "just in case" something spectacular and as yet unannounced appears last minute.

I think ultimately we need an iPad mini to keep the wife happy and a N7 to keep me happy. Although since i've now got a Galaxy Note II with a 5.5" screen perhaps a 7 inch tablet is a pointless investment for me lol

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not to rub it in, but the Mini starts at $329 for 16GB

32GB @$429... someone owes this AC a virtual beer

:P

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rainbows,butt cheeks, weird elongated-egg-like-thing, a CEO with questionable sexuality (before Tim took over).

Looks like Apple are announcing Apple Pride Day.

6. Steve Evans

How about...

Seeing as Apple blank you, why don't you do the same... "seeing as how it's sure to be bleated far and wide by a herd of helpful live-bloggers. ®"

1. Darryl

Re: How about...

And besides, isn't the correct noun 'a gaggle of helpful live bloggers'?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I believe the correct collective noun is 'flock'.

1. Armando 123

Hm, lemme see, it's a slime of lawyers, a lemming of journalists, an inertia of civil servants, a brothel of politicians, a /dev/null of bloggers, a vapid of actresses, a buggery of pop singers, ...

7. Cornholio

iPod Classic

I bet I'm still going to be waiting for an iPod with >160GB of storage. Come on Apple (or Sony, or anyone), it isn't just me that wants one. Surely it can't be that difficult?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: iPod Classic

Archos do one with a 500GB HDD, and since a firmware update it seems to behave itself with very large libraries... my friend has one exclusively for music (though it has a 4.8" screen) and before the update it misbehaved (seems Archos must have expected people to have it half full of movies instead of a gazillion audio tracks), it seems happier now but testing hasn't been exhaustive.

That said, for about the same money, you could get a collection of microSD cards and, for example, a Sansa Clip or two. Obviously no good if you must have 500GB of music on random shuffle, but an option.

2. Steve Evans

Re: iPod Classic

Well at the way things are going it won't be long before micro SD's exceed that... Not that you'll be looking at the fruity firm for that solution though...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Show stealing

Well, if it is indeed an iPad mini launch, I suspect this will completely steal the show from the surface, the launch of which is just a few days later.

I expect microsoft top staff will have to fend off a barrage of flying chairs from the bellowing gorilla.

If the price of the entry level surface is correct - £399 (sans keyboard) here in blighty - Microsoft have just opened a salvo of rounds ... into their own feet.

So, as Xmas trundles around once again, we find ourselves with a lot of choice - but this choice is hampered by harsh economic times. This is why the new sweet spot for tablets is £250 or below.

I suspect I'll ask Santa for a Nexus 7, but the iPad mini may just sway me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Show stealing

The fact that you're still sending letters to Santa tells us all we need to know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What are you trying to say, he's not real?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Childcatcher

Downvoted because Father Christmas is real. Fact.

1. Armando 123
          Coat

"Downvoted because Father Christmas is real. Fact."

As proven in Ray Davies' excellent musical documentary.

9. Big_Ted
    Childcatcher

Its the iPhone 5S

"We've got a little more to show you"

an even wider screen for an extra column of icons so the aspect ratio is fixed........

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mini

Can I please have a new Mac Mini?

The current model is now 18 months old. I just know that if I buy one, an updated version will appear the next week...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a hoax?

All the news sites running this story say 'invites have been sent', not 'we have received an invite'. The graphic is pretty crappy looking. And none of the more 'Apple-aligned' websites like Daring Fireball are running this story.

So, is it real?

1. Steve Todd

Re: Is this a hoax?

Yes, it's real. It's being reported by people like Jim Dalrymple, who is among Apple's most favoured bloggers and often gets pre-release access.

12. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Repeat After Me

Nobody

Gives

A

Shit

If and when Apple release a new product, do a review of it.

Running stories that they may or may not announce something on some future date is about as useful, but slightly less interesting, than supermarket tabloids telling me which z-lister is fat

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Repeat After Me

"I don't give a shit" != "Nobody gives a shit"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I don't give a shit" != "Nobody gives a shit"

Let me re-phrase that; Nobody who anyone gives a shit about gives a shit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For someone who doesn't care I'm glad you took the time to comment on this article you attention seeker

13. Toastan Buttar
    Paris Hilton

Shurely shome mishtake

"We've got a little less to show you" on both counts, no?

Paris not interested.

14. maccy
    Devil

I've got something to show you

(unzips fly)

You have to stand pretty close to see it

The new iPenis MINI !!

Who said size didn't matter?

1. CmdrX3

Re: I've got something to show you

Guess you need to take a pencil sharpener to your fingers then to fiddle with it ;-)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

To sum up:

Apple only invite people that say nice things, and play the game...

That's how you have this silly situation where they can create overpriced, under' spec shite, and the tech media gushes praise over it.

That that the truckloads of free stuff they give them all, as for every one freebie they give out, there will be 10000 braindead idiots that don't understand how the system works.

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: To sum up:

There's nothing stopping review sites buying them retail after release (which, unlike some other companies, is normally quite close to the announcement date) and writing what they like about them. El Reg was quite complementary about the iPhone 5 for example, and they never get a launch invite.

1. gkroog
        Trollface

Re: To sum up:

El Reg never cracks a launch invite because they won't stumble blindly after the shiny shiny that Apple unveils and moan along with the rest of the zombie horde: "Apple is the greatest. No one can compete. Eat their brains if they try."

So El Reg may think well of the iPhone 5, and that's good because Apple does make a good product, yet because they're objective and have a dim view of Apple practices, they won't be selected to attend Apple's hallowed launch ritual.

16. LeBeourfCurtaine
    Paris Hilton

IT'S OFFICIAL: APPLE WILL REVEAL 'A LITTLE MORE' ON OCTOBER 23

So, come on let’s have a look at it,

come along now let’s have a sniff of it,

come along now let’s have a little bit,

come along now let’s have a little bit,

come along now let’s have a little bit more.

Paris: because recursion inspired innovation rules!

17. Richard Plinston

Timing is everything

This announcement, 3 days before MS's midnight one (which midnight though, the start of the day or the end?) seems to be a rain on MS's parade.

If it is a miniPad 7inch it will be making 10 inch tablets (ie Surface RT) so Last Year! I also suspect a price drop for iPad2 (not for new iPad) so that Surface will seem wildly overpriced. While they may be the same as new iPad it will be emphasized that the latter has far better screen.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Timing is everything

And which timezone?!

MS are going to have to pull some serious wedges of cash out of their back pocket and drop it in front of many reporters to get any kind of headline coverage from the sheeple press.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Midnight

Midnight is always at the beginning of the day.

That's why it is written as 00:00.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Midnight

Actually it's not that clear. Midnight could be - and often is - considered the end of the day: i.e. 0:00 and midnight are the same time-of-day, but 24 hours apart.

When do you think midnight on New Year's Eve is?

Where it's important for legal reasons (insurance etc.) you will usually find times such as 11:59, 23:59, 12:01 and 0:01 are used to avoid any ambiguity. Although I would personally consider 00:00 or 24:00 to be unambiguous for any given date, I'm pretty sure it would be hard to make that argument for 'midnight'.

18. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Keep tossing ....

.... bills onto the stage and you can have another peek, boys.

Where have I heard that line before?

19. Tony Paulazzo
    Big Brother

So, they've publicaly shat on Google, Samsung and all Android phone makers, and now they've publicaly shit on Microsoft by muting their thunder on the 26th. Don't Apple worry about being ostracised from the business community? Doesn't really matter how much cash you're sitting on if you're the toxic poison surrounded by companies no longer willing to do business with you.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Plus the fact that if they release an ipad mini they're pretty much going against what St Jobs publicaly quoted about the iPad size being perfect. Way to test the faithful.

20. Will Godfrey Silver badge

I became immune to this stupid teasing before I hit my teens. Someone tries it and I just get up and go and do something more interesting.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aspect bloat

Yet another f'in screen resolution I will have to cater for when writing apps. I'm getting so I can't be arsed anymore...

1. Steve Todd
      FAIL

Re: aspect bloat

And you know this how? You skipped the bit in the iOS 6 APIs about Auto Reflow?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple to announce...

...they are using AMD APUs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple to announce...

If only. The "Think Different" company sure doesn't when it comes to CPUs.

1. gkroog
        Mushroom

Re: Apple to announce...

Apple don't use the "Think Different" slogan anymore. I just took a trip to their site to see if its anywhere on there, and I felt my IQ try to slip down a bit. I encountered the words "funness," "renanoed," and "iPhone 5: The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone."

"Think Different" was apparently just a marketing campaign: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different, and came about because Steve Jobs wanted to communicate the idea of broadening one's view of life beyond the world other people have shaped. Just don't try broaden your vision beyond the world Apple wants to shape for you. Because then its THERMONUCLEAR WAR!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I reckon it's the iPhone 6.

24. MooseMonkey
    Happy

Hurry up already...

I'm hoping a "cheap" iPad mini will drive the 32G Nexus 7 3g to market, reduce it's price and enable it right into my sweaty hands.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like