back to article FTC nearing decision in Google antitrust probe

The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is nearing a decision in its 16-month-long investigation into Google's search and advertising businesses, and sources say things are not looking good for the Mountain View–based company. According to Reuters, three separate sources have confirmed that four of the five FTC commissioners are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TOPDOG1

THE WAR ON THE INTERNET

The free transfer of communication , ideas and information has been the undoing of all Authoritarian governments history wide. Is it any surprise that the F.T.C.. and other government organization will use any means possible IN AN attempt to control the INTERNET, or anyone or thing connected to it. The real villains here are the F.T.C.,along with the D.O.J. and their war on drugs, Now we have the war on the internet... No surprise that those calling for the investigation don't want to be named. They wish to hide under a rock. These people are enemy's to all Americans and everyone else worldwide who desire to be free of the powers who attempt to control and subjugate them. All this for greeds sake alone. These people soul's are bought and paid for by corporations. Let the F.T.C. start their own Google, then they can put what ever they want up. Can you call it free enterprise when the government seeks to control every aspect? These are the people who need to be stopped.

1. FrankAlphaXII
      WTF?

Re: THE WAR ON THE INTERNET

I think your tin-foil hat's coming apart. Or the drugs are a little too good (or not good enough) today.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Almost thought I was reading YouTube comments for a second there.

1. solidsoup
        Meh

Well, if this was a Youtube comment the word 'gay' would be present.

As to Google and anti-monopoly rules, I don't think Google is to blame in this instance. They've invested a lot of money into their products and deserve to reap the rewards. I don't think general and niche searches make up a separate market, so Google is using it's position to help itself doesn't violate the law. Now, before I'm branded a Google fanboi, let me give an example that would fall foul of the law. Google made its Gmail service incompatible with Opera browser (despite Opera following w3c standards) to promote Chrome uptake at one point. Now that I would consider abusing ones monopoly.

I think the stupid case against Microsoft by US and EU shows that anti-monopoly legislation is slow to the point of being useless in the digital age. What's needed instead is legislation on interoperability and data portability that would prevent a monopoly from locking in customers and a license to use a media/product through one method of distribution (i.e. iTunes) should automatically (both technologically and legally) confer a right to use the same product if it's acquired through another (i.e. Google Play). Now, THAT would be useful.

2. Phoenix50
    Thumb Up

Beautiful.

God bless the FTC, and all who sail in her.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do no harm...

but if you're caught, call in all those "favours" on Capital Hill...

4. AfternoonTea
    Coffee/keyboard

Google gets caught again, give me real news...

(News that doesn't involve the US/UK government tricks to obtain basic info...)

Though, it's becoming more than basic now..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In reality..

.. it shows that Google is not spending enough on lobbying and campaign contributions..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FTC

I'm confused - I thought the FTC investigated monopoly and anticompetitive behaviour that hurts the consumer?

Is the consumer being hurt by Google? I chose to use Google for search, I decide which links to follow.. If I chose NOT to use Hotwire or Expedia or any other of Microsoft's subsidiaries then that is my choice. Its not hurting me..

If Bing, Hotwire, Expedia etc offered me the information and deals I'd want then I'd use them... but they dont so I dont.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FTC

You've chosen to use Google, however the results you receive are biased in favour of Google's own products and services. Not to mention that getting rival products to appear highly in the search can be difficult.

Is Google merely a search engine or is it a search engine with product placement?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/15/google-antitrust-microsoft-case

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like