back to article Orally urinating turtle boffin in nominative-determinism classic case

We're obliged to reader Roger Denholm for alerting us to the best example of nominative determinism we've seen for many moons - the case of Shit Fun Chew and the orally urinating turtle. New Scientist reports that Alex Yuen Kwong Ip of the National University of Singapore has been studying Pelodiscus sinensis, known to its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Patrick Evans
    Meh

Hello and welcome to 2006.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Ig Nobel Material

If ever there was!

3. David Given
    Coat

...there was, there was, if ever a whiz of a wiz there was?

4. VeganVegan
    Holmes

Thomas Crapper

Obligatory wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

1. Phil Endecott

Re: Thomas Crapper

Thomas Crapper is not an example of nominative determinism; the word is named after him.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Thomas Crapper

No, crap meant defacate and crapper mean defacating place for hundreds of years before Thomas Crapper was born. He was lucky in being able to make good business from his name.

1. Irony Deficient

crap in the OED

The earliest mention in the OED of this definition of crap as a verb comes from 1846. As a noun, the earliest mention comes from 1898; crapper’s earliest mention comes from 1932, in the States, seven years before its use in Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath. What preceded crapper as the name of the site? Crapping case, crapping ken, and crapping-castle.

Earlier definitions of crap include “money” in the 18th century (which might explain the phrase to give a crap) and “dregs of beer or ale”. The earliest definitions, from the 15th century, include “the residue from rendering, boiling, or melting fat” (cracklings), “a name of some plants” (such as buckwheat), and “the husk of grain” (chaff).

If you have proof of the “defecation” meaning from hundreds of years before Crapper’s birth, please send your evidence to Oxford University Press, where it would undoubtedly be gratefully received and incorporated into the next edition of their dictionary.

5. Elmer Phud

The Turtle moves!

(well, wees anyway)

6. Notas Badoff
    Joke

Oh Mr. Heinous, how could you?

7. Johnny Canuck

Is Shit his family name or his given name. Don't the Chinese put the surname first? If that is the case then there must be plenty of Shits in China, probably plenty of little Shits too. Maybe there is a monk in the family, addressed as Holy Shit no doubt. That ought to get you started.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shit Fun Chew is a *she*

And her family name is Chew (common enough)...

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Shit Fun Chew is a *she*

So, if Chew is her family name, then her full name is Chew Shit Fun.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It is. I don't know why we need to Anglicize Asian's names.

2. Peter Murphy
          Go

It is, actually. Here's her bio page.

8. BlueGreen

I was born with fuck all, and I'll die just as poor

I recall there being some (turtles, not researchers) that could breathe through their butt. Bit of searching gets the Fitzroy River turtle as an example.

Urinating through the mouth though... a quick read says it's actually discharging urea. Still, amazing.

1. pixl97

Re: I was born with fuck all, and I'll die just as poor

Urinating through the mouth, is that what our politicians are doing on TV? Heh, lets give the chinese another grant and let them investigate how many forum users are defecating through their keyboards.

1. BlueGreen

So I give a couple of relevant bits of info (butt-breathing turtles and the fact that it's not oral urination but urea discharge), and I get this kind of response?

Which one of us is 'defecating through their keyboard', may I ask.

2. Robert Baker

I'm not surprised that there's a turtle which urinates from its mouth, given the tendency of politicians to talk through their anuses.

As for forum posters "defecating through their keyboards" -- priceless (a literal LOL for me). :)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And just to bring this up to date, the BBC is reporting on the weather damage to Storm Hughes' house.

10. GreyWolf
    Coat

Weather Man at Port of Tilbury

...was Captain Gale, not so long ago.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"Orally urinating turtle boffin in nominative-determinism classic case"

So, is it a boffin who studies orally urinating turtles, or an orally urinating boffin who studies regular turtles?

I mean, really. You can do better than that.

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Chew shit fun?

Bit of a minority interest.

13. MikeOxlong
    Joke

Some Scientists!

So we have observed behaviour in the Fitzroy turtle that can "Breathe through it's butt"...

Now we have observed behaviour in the Chinese soft shelled turtle that can wee out of it's mouth.

Can someone PLEASE teach scientists the correct way to hold a turtle the right way up!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like