back to article Apple pays up for stealing design from Swiss Railways

Apple may be willing to spend millions in court over some copyright fights, but it has learned the lessons of history and has decided not to mess with the Swiss. Last month, Switzerland's railway operator SBB took Cupertino to task for stealing the design of its clock for iOS 6's Clock app. Now the world's favorite fondleslab …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haha!

I can imagine the conversation now - "pay up or we'll burn your money!"*

*with all due credit to Jasper Carrott for the joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A COMPLIMENT to

The best time keeping device designed in the home of time pieces, from the country where the trains always run on time transferred to the most iconic well built quality mobile phone!

I call the fine a compliment, Apple knows it and doesn't mind paying for the best.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apple knows it and doesn't mind paying for the best.

- Especially when they get caught

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A COMPLIMENT to

Iconic? Certainly, well built quality mobile phone I'm having a harder time with though. Especially given as the clock is only on the iPad!

If Apple didn't mind paying, they'd have done so before hand. But then I guess that's their modus operandi based on a few of the complaints against them.

3. dcd
        Thumb Down

Thieving toady bastards!

Complement enough?

Steal first, pay later if fought.

2. Erwin Hofmann
      Thumb Down

Quoting Steve Jobs (1994): "Good artists copy great artists steal" ...

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Trollface

"Good artists copy great artists steal"

Con artists do steal that is very true indeed.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

@Erwin Hofmann

>> Quoting Steve Jobs (1994): "Good artists copy great artists steal" ...

Attributed to Stravinsky. Or Picasso. Or TS Eliot. Probably predates any of them.

However - certainly not original by Steve Jobs.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@John H Woods

Thats the point

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. g e
      Facepalm

A word to the confused in here...

In these sorts of situations 'Settlement' is not synonymous with 'Adulation'

It's synonymous with 'Convicted'

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple knows the value and importance of a registered design patent, Samdung doesn't.

1. Grikath
      Facepalm

Ah yes.... That's why they stole it first, and are only prepared to dig up the purse *after* a complaint.. and threat of lawsuit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can you actually name anything that Apple have been sued for "stealing" that isn't meant to be licensed under FRAND? It seems to me that Apple were made aware that they were using a trademarked design with their clock face and took steps to pay for its use. There's no evidence to suggest they stole the design deliberately (unless there's a 132 page document out there listing all the things they like about the clock face that they should copy).

1. Chet Mannly

"Can you actually name anything that Apple have been sued for "stealing" that isn't meant to be licensed under FRAND?"

How about a Swiss railway clock, they aren't licenced under FRAND.

I heard El Reg even wrote an article about it *slaps forehead*

1. g e
            Facepalm

@Chet

No shit.

I'd have posted that lackwit comment under anonymous, too... ;o)

2. Ben Tasker

Can you actually name anything that Apple have been sued for "stealing" that isn't meant to be licensed under FRAND?

Let's go with the Moto complaint against them, given that a Judge has ruled that Apple had a duty to negotiate, or could have used ETSI rather than simply trying to fight it out in court.

So, rather than a) pay up front or b) begin negotiating in good faith, they decided to fight in court, but continue using the technology at the same time.

So they've used the technology, patents being considered the 'property' of the holder without having paid a cent for them. I'd call that stealing (though I have difficulty accepting the idea of a patent as 'property' in all honesty.

unless there's a 132 page document out there listing all the things they like about the clock face that they should copy

Incidentally, have you read all of the document (the bits that have been made available, anyway)? Or have you just been catching the media snippets. I'd suggest you have a read and then make your mind up, it'll give you something to do whilst we wait for the legal system to work out what (if anything) the Jury actually got right!

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can you actually name anything that Apple have been sued for "stealing"

I remember something about a jog wheel?

2. TimePilot84

Fart.

Apple only violates the finest patents.

3. EddieD
    Joke

I can imagine the Swiss lawyer...

"M'lud, I'd like to cite case history "Apple vs Samsung", "Apple vs HTC", "Apple vs GEM", "Apple vs....the world..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can imagine the Swiss lawyer...

Apple vs Apple.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one reason...

the only reason apple have settled this quick is so that they can take a morral high ground when arguing that others copy their design.

the conversations will go along the lines of,:

"well, when it was brought to our attention that we had inadvertently duplicated a design we settled the dispute and paid a licensing fee. Now that we are bringing it to your attention that your rounded corners are the same as our rounded corners then you should do the same thing and pay us money now...."

if they had just left of the round bit on the second hand then I bet they would have told the Swiss to fuck off.... I can see it now in IOS6.001 the clock face will be changed and the money to the Swiss railway will stop.

1. Chris 244
      Headmaster

Morrals

Not sure how one uses a feed bag to gain the high ground. Care to elaborate?

1. Ben Tasker
        Joke

Re: Morrals

You get a couple of lawyers (good source of hot air) and a huge feeding bag along with some rope and a lightweight basket. Position yourself and the lawyers in the basket and ask them why patents are important.

Eventually you'll have an el cheapo hot air balloon (assuming the lawyers are pro bono) which you can land on whichever high ground you'd care to gain.

Was that what you're after?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

It wasn't copyright as the subtitle suggests, it's trademark.

More precisely Swiss trademark number 512830 whose 10 year lifetime funnily enough expired on 3/9/2012, before iOS 6 was released.

Presumably SBB applied for a renewal, but Swissreg still shows the old expiry date.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

trademarks

Trademarks are a company's intellectual property even if not registered - thats the difference between TM and (R).

Registration makes the legal cases a lot easier for the company.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: trademarks

While IANAL itis accepted that unregistered trademarks do not cross scope or field of use under Swiss law, so if left unregistered the SBB would have a bit of trouble defendingthe 3D trademark of their mechanical clocks against a software application. The SBB probably were just late submitting the renewal.

1. Simon Harris
          Happy

" The SBB probably were just late submitting the renewal."

That would be rather ironic!

1. raving angry loony
            Coat

Simon says: "That would be rather ironic!"

Actually, not really. After all, Apple nicked their damn clock, didn't they?

2. dssf

But, has Apple argued that the registration expired?

If not, then apple cannot take any "moral high groung" simply because there could be not accidental use of the trademart or registered mark or copyright. With all the clearances and checking a company the size of apple or any smaller one, SOMEbody should have asked the artists or art department to declare the source or inspiration, and tondeclare at risk of termination that the work is original.

If apple did not use image matching software nor in advance consul over this, the Swiss should hold the secred aplke swiss bank account ransome, the lower its interest earnings, and threaten to leak the particulars if apple ever again so callously and brazenly hijacks the art of ANY other entity, not just a Swiss entity. Now, THAT would be "taking a moral high ground" if i can say so.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

When you wish upon a star...

> Trademarks are a company's intellectual property even if not registered

Good luck defending those though.

TM stands for "Totally Meaningless"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AFAIK release date does not = development date. Although the case would still not hold up, it would suggest intent if the renewal was applied.

6. OrsonX
    IT Angle

Apple's iOS 6 app on the left (?)

So the clock in iOS6 looks different to previous versions...., and if the Reg's picture is telling the truth it actually now works and shows the correct time? As opposed to, say, 10:15.

Is that right?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which app?

I'm using IOS 6 on my iPhone and the clock looks nothing like this... Is this only on the iPad?

1. Chris 3

Re: Which app?

Yup

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Which app?

Yes, it's only used in the new World clock/alarm app for the iPad.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Precision?!

"The SBB's clocks are also notable for displaying traditional Swiss precision. All the SBBs clocks synchronize with a master time controller every minute"

If they're so precise, how come they have to resynch every minute?

At that rate, they'd be just as well to get eco-friendly Albanian gypsies to manually wind the clocks as steadily as they can (thus saving electricity), with a platform guard leaning out the window every 60 seconds to nudge the Albanian in the ribs with a long stick and signal the start of another minute.

1. rvt

Re: Precision?!

They are synced, or at least in the past using DCF77. it's a long wave radio signal which carrier the time using a low bit rate signal.

Every minute there is a preamble of the start of a new minute. For this preamble is what the clock waits for to continue to the next minute. By running the second a little faster you can guarantee that it needs to wait, and this it will run on time.

Nowadays they don't run on DCF77 anymore, I know at least of one occasion of a guy in holland that made a transmitter that did send a different time over the same radio frequency, thus messing up the NS (Dutch Railway system, at the time) schedules of trains.

1. Eddy Ito

Huh, I'd have assumed they use the electric grid. We've been using that for plug in clocks for a rather long time here in the US and that's why there was quite a dust up last year when a gov't commission was putting together plans for dicking with it to see if they could improve reliability of the grid. I assume it had something to do with not making a motor out of the smallest tied in generator when it gets out of sync.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Stop

> I'd have assumed they use the electric grid.

You could have provided a link you lazy bastard.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43532031/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/t/power-grid-experiment-could-confuse-electric-clocks/

Well, anyone who uses the 50Hz signal on the power supply line to synch time for serious applications (i.e. anything else than a coffeemaker) deserves what he gets.

1. Eddy Ito

"You could have provided a link you lazy bastard."

You're right, my bad, I was going from memory and should have googled and linked it.

I don't think it would be that hard to tweak clocks to work in !quite nanofortnights for a 50Hz signal though.

2. dssf
      Joke

Re: Precision?! Precision with a

Margin of error of 1.46784936274869699785635375868746354 seconds, hahaha

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

There's this concept called "multiple redundant systems". Rather big in backup circles, tends to get mentioned a lot in the IT press.

The clock doesn't need to resynch every minute. It does it anyway, just in case.

9. slavish
    FAIL

Not surprising

Looks like Apple "slavishly copied" the clock.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That round clock

just looks like a rectangle with very round corners, the Swiss have infringed on apples copyright.

1. FlingoBingo

Re: That round clock

Not quite. I think you'll find it's a zero-corner rectangle.

11. Ivan Headache

Looks awfully like the clocks

in Canary Wharf - except that to avoid infringing the SSB design they've put a number 4 digit on the face.

12. quad50

Einstein's clocks

And Einstein got clues for special relativity when he studied patents the Swiss railroad had for synchronizing their clocks.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Swiss precision though

How many bugs has Apple had with iOS and the alarm not working correct. One bug caused many to miss meetings, planes, trains, etc. The Swiss should have demanded compensation for the theft and that Apple must not use their design.

There are many different designs of clocks, why did Apple have to copy?

14. armyknife

Swiss Neutrality ?

I would big up Swiss neutrality in WW2 or Hitler being enraged by them, iirc Switzerland will still providing Nazi Germany with weapons and especially munitions in early 1944, they only stopped in May 1944 because the Nazis ran out of hard currency/someone else's gold.

The Americans and other allies weren't best pleased with them in the immediate aftermath of WW2.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Swiss Neutrality ?

IBM, Ford, Coca Cola, Kodak etc. all provided goods to the Nazis even during the war, and they are all American companies. So they should be careful about any finger pointing about Nazi collaboration.

1. A.P.Richelieu
        Holmes

I think they were bound by contract.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't forget that the Swiss (Oerlikon) were selling anti-aircraft guns to the UK made out of German steel... Which means that UK war money was flowing into German coffers. Crazy world! They were quite prepared to sell to both sides.

Neutrality is a difficult thing to pull off. If you don't sell to either side in such a war then you go bust and your economy goes down the tubes, starvation, riots etc ensue. Sell to both sides and you're sure to be annoying whoever the winner turns out to be.

1. keith_w
        FAIL

How were they doing that?

"Switzerland's trade was blockaded by both the Allies and by the Axis. Economic cooperation and extension of credit to the Third Reich varied according to the perceived likelihood of invasion and the availability of other trading partners. Concessions reached a peak after a crucial rail link through Vichy France was severed in 1942, leaving Switzerland completely surrounded by the Axis. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

They were surrounded on all sides by Germans or German allies. How were they able to ship AA guns to the UK. Granted they may have sold/licensed the designs, but those would not have been built with german steel unless it came from captured equipment.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you don't sell to either side in such a war then you go bust and your economy goes down the tubes, starvation, riots etc ensue. Sell to both sides and you're sure to be annoying whoever the winner turns out to be."

Selling to the side that isn't murdering millions of people in cold blood might be a useful guideline.

(Yes, I get that they were surrounded, but I suspect that there were times that their cooperation went just a tad beyond 'necessary to avoid invasion'...)

1. Chemist

"but I suspect"

Evidence ?

3. A.P.Richelieu
        Holmes

The U.K. was trying to buy Optics from Germany for their Sniper Rifles.

It was eventually decided by Germany, that even though they needed the hard currency,

it was still a bad deal.

The German steel was likely made from iron imported from Sweden.

The important thing, is to keep out of war, and you wont do that if you irritate the 400 pound gorilla neighbour.

You can irritate up to a point, Not selling iron to Germany, would for sure had caused an invasion.

The Swedish iron was the main reason that both Churchill and Hitler invaded Norway.

On the other hand, if you bend to pressure, this will not be forgotten.

Sweden accepted German troops travelling by railway through Sweden during WWII

and that has been a stinker ever since. Much more so, than selling the iron,

which is funny, because that was much more important.

1. Handle This
          Boffin

"The Arms of Krupp," by William Manchester, an interesting history of Germany's largest and most thoroughly integrated cannon and munitions manufacturer, provides some relevant tidbits on this and many other subjects dealing with Germany's relationships with other nations in the pre-war runups and post-war rundowns of that nation's history. I only read it because it detailed an extremely distant part of our family, but I re-read it twice because I believe it is an execeptional, well-researched and informative read.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Meh

> Switzerland will still providing Nazi Germany with weapons and especially munitions in early 1944

Citation needed.

While I'm not big on Switzerland in WWII [turning away Jews at the border as per official policy was a dick move], this sounds unlikely.

They would certainly accept a train of Gold from Bavaria though. Gnomes love Gold.

1. Chemist

It seems many people don't realise the geography of Switzerland.

After the start of WWII occupied France was on the western border, occupied Austria was on the eastern border, Axis power Italy was the southern border and Nazi Germany was the northern border. Now I don't see in the circumstances that given no direct access to the outside world that they could have resisted a serious invasion for long esp.as the German border is not as mountainous as the others.

They did have a desperate plan in the event of an invasion to abandon the north and retreat to the mountains but it certainly would have been a major disaster. All the major engineering and chemical factories in the north would have been converted to German war production and the country's wealth used for German war purposes.

They had to walk a VERY fine line. Can anyone think of an alternative they would have adopted ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Now I don't see in the circumstances that given no direct access to the outside world that they could have resisted a serious invasion for long esp.as the German border is not as mountainous as the others."

Shoot twice and go home

1. Chemist

That's just an opinion. Faced with large numbers of tanks and aircraft they would have lost the industrial lowlands- that's mine

They would have held out far longer in the mountains but probably would have been contained there only having the ability to use light weapons. I've spent a long time in the Swiss Alps and have a holiday home in Saas Fee so have some feel for the character and ability of the Swiss esp.in the mountains.

All sorts of things went on in Switzerland during WWII including meetings between Allies and Axis generals and politicians.

2. Handle This
            FAIL

Oh, please. Normally I would just let a comment like this go, but the idea of Swiss individuals who keep hunting rifles at home being an ultimate deterrent to the German Wehrmacht is just silly. If Germany had really been serious and had gotten around to it, I can't help but believe the Swiss would have been swept from their land in a relatively short time. Yes, some Germans would have been killed; a helluva lot more Swiss would have been lost. Switzerland did not pose a realistic threat to German interests at that time (I will leave others to determine or argue why that was so, and what interests were involved) and so was not militarily removed. That is all there is to it. I strongly admire Swiss independence and the principles upon which it rests, and I take a back seat to none in applauding their political acumen during the Second World War. But to try to frame an argument, as the author of the linked material seems to, that its was the right embodied in the American Second Constitutional Amendment that preserved their freedom isn't worth the energy I just spent on this comment. This is why I normally let this stuff pass. . . Hopefully I just read the link incorrectly and only made a fool of myself (something I do more often than post comments).

4. A.P.Richelieu
      Holmes

Maybe you are not aware, that the Swiss are not neutral by their own choice.

The reason they are Neutral, is that the rest of Europe decided at the Vienna Congress

after the Naopleonic Wars, that noone was interested any longer having Swiss

Mercenaries romping all over the Battlefields of Europe.

The Swiss were simply told, that they were not allowed on the playing ground any longer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The reason they are Neutral, is that the rest of Europe decided at the Vienna Congress"

Rubbish !

The neutrality of Switzerland was guaranteed by the Congress of Vienna NOT imposed

2. Chemist

" Of all the neutrals Switzerland has the greatest right to distinction. She has been the sole international force linking the hideously-sundered nations and ourselves. What does it matter whether she has been able to give us the commercial advantages we desire or has given too many to the Germans, to keep herself alive? She has been a democratic State, standing for freedom in self defence among her mountains, and in thought, in spite of race, largely on our side."

Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965), British wartime Prime Minister

15. JaitcH
    WTF?

Apple stealing IP? Again? Slow learners

This is just the latest in a long line of purloining by Apple and MS. It's about time victims starting kneeing these thieves where it hurts most.

Good for Swiss Railways.

As for the term "Gnomes of Zurich". I think you should be using the term "Gnomes of Singapore" as more and more Europeans avoid Switzerland as their Piggy Bank now that the US, and a few other countries, have disclosure agreements with the country.

Singapore is more independent than Switzerland and has a political dictatorship (LEE Kwan Yew is still pulling a few levers of power) and given it's key position in transportation is more unlikely to bend to the wishes of the USA.

An indication of it's affiliations is that it keeps it time synchronised with that of BeiJing which can mess with Traveller's minds.

16. stupormundi

rectangle with radius

Leica should sue them. That would be entertaining.

17. dssf
    Joke

Timex must be envious....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Group_USA

It could have taken a lickin' and done some STICKIN', hahaha

18. Cliff

... in 1944 ... while the rest of Europe was focusing on other matters

Love it, nicely understated.

Fanta (pop drink) exists because Coca-cola wanted to supply the Nazi market with Coca-cola, but couldn't

"Fanta originated due to difficulties importing Coca-Cola syrup into Nazi Germany during World War II due to a trade embargo.[2] To circumvent this, Max Keith, the man in charge of Coca-Cola Deutschland (Coca-Cola GmbH) during the Second World War, decided to create a new product for the German market, using only ingredients available in Germany at the time"

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trains?

Oh how analog!

20. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

Would it help if they put an apple at the end of the red second hand.

21. Alphi99

IRONY

ironic... just months after suing someone else for stealing the look and feel of their devices.. here they are admitting to stealing the look and feel of someone else device...

just goes to show that apple truly are a bunch of innovators..... <-- substitute appropriate word here..

22. Slumberingjournalist
    WTF?

Yet another reason to round up the IP trolls

Hmmm. If you look carefully at the two designs you'll see that Apple's designers have made efforts to differentiate their work from the SBB clock.

Almost everything is subtly different. Compare the length of the clock hands and also the way they taper on one design but not on the other. See the difference in the size of the minute marks. Note how one clock has text on the face but the other does not. Compare the thickness of the rims; and so on.

In fact the only significant similarity is the sweep (seconds) hand with the circle on the tip. And even the colour of that is an evolution of the iOS5 iphone clock icon, which is also black with a red sweep hand.

And that's without going in to the many features that both clocks share with the universal set of round-faced clocks.

If SBB reckon they own the global IP on a circle at the tip of a sweep hand then good luck to them. I'd love to see that getting thrashed out in court (especially if the defendant were to argue their sweep tip sported a sphere rather than a circle).

But, either way, for Apple the outcome's nothing but good PR. Good old Apple. What luck!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet another reason to round up the IP trolls

Yeah, I can see how the Apple clock has more rounded corners than the SBB one !

23. John Rose

Interesting about "Hitler, enraged by the Swiss air force shooting down Luftwaffe planes that strayed across the border, ordered invasion plans drawn up, but they were never acted upon.". When USAF planes were involved in large scale bombing raids over Germany, some were shot down by Swiss anti-aircraft fire when they strayed into Switzerland usually after being 'injured' over Germany. The USA threatened to declare war against Switzerland if it continued. The Swiss immediately stopped their 'target practice'.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slavishly copied

As per title.

Funny how things come back to haunt you.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"No terms of the deal were announced, showing traditional Swiss reserve on matters of money."

I always thought it was the loser who insisted on a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

"Often, the exact terms of settlement agreements are purposely not publicly disclosed. This is particularly true in high-profile cases where the defendant (Apple) is seeking to protect its public reputation. In fact, it is the norm for large companies to settle with plaintiffs for an undisclosed amount and then immediately issue a statement denying any culpability, stating the company did nothing wrong."

26. trashbat

Infringement schmingefringement

The Apple one shows 07:22, whilst the Swiss one 10:08, so not only are they distinctly different, Cupertino's innovation clearly came first.

27. Baudwalk
    Joke

Wilhelm Tell revisited?

Them Swiss do have it in for that particular fruit.

1. Swarthy
      Thumb Up

Re: Wilhelm Tell revisited?

Thank you, I did LOL.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple's shit and so's the clock.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Baudwalk

You bugger!

I read through two pages of comments, smugly aware that no-one had pointed out the obvious "William Tell" angle... and then you pipped me right at the end!

30. Stretch

Thieves.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like